cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card CDW on rental cars - citi premier?

tag
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit card CDW on rental cars - citi premier?

@red259   Sorry, misunderstood.  Yes, you are correct that secondary acts as Primary since you have no other coverage.  I was still thinking in the mind of the Citi Premier more specifically to which I thought all insurance was cut unless there's something I'm not aware of or something offered by Mastercard themselves.  

Message 11 of 13
red259
Super Contributor

@coreysw12 wrote:

If it were me, I'd still use the Amex Platinum even if I didn't need the Primary coverage. It has much higher coverage than most secondary CDW coverages offered by most cards. Up to $75k for rental car damage & $5k personal injury per accident, plus $1k theft coverage for items in car.

Many secondary coverages don't offer any injury or personal items coverage, and don't offer enough to cover cars over a certain value (or outright won't cover them at all). $75k should be enough to cover any reasonable car you'd ever be renting, unless you have a habit of spending a fortune renting super-high-end european cars.

Is that the default insurance with amex or the one where you have to pay extra to amex? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 12 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@coreysw12 wrote:

If it were me, I'd still use the Amex Platinum even if I didn't need the Primary coverage. It has much higher coverage than most secondary CDW coverages offered by most cards. Up to $75k for rental car damage & $5k personal injury per accident, plus $1k theft coverage for items in car.

Many secondary coverages don't offer any injury or personal items coverage, and don't offer enough to cover cars over a certain value (or outright won't cover them at all). $75k should be enough to cover any reasonable car you'd ever be renting, unless you have a habit of spending a fortune renting super-high-end european cars.

Is that the default insurance with amex or the one where you have to pay extra to amex? 

$75k is for the less expensive of the two extra-fee options. The more expensive one has higher coverage limits.

$100k damage

$5k personal property ($10k max if multiple covered persons)

$15k secondary accidental injury

I don't often rent cars, and I can be slow to figure out the quirks of unfamiliar cars, so I don't mind paying a few dollars more for higher limits. CA resident rates are pretty modest with either option.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.