Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card and Credit Card Company of the Year

tag
bizarrocreditworld
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit card and Credit Card Company of the Year

I've had a lot of great ones this year. PenFed gave me a monster CLI, NFCU gave me the trifecta (Go Rewards, Cash Rewards and Flagship Rewards) in six months with 5 figure CLs each and Amex has finally let me get a revolver on Sunday (in fact, two in one day, the Delta Reserve and Hilton Ascend) plus their Gold and Platinum (via upgrade from Green) earlier.

The revamps of the NFCU Flagship and Amex Gold cards makes it a tie for card of the year since they more or less provide the same rewards that would require a large combination of cards to pull off in the areas I use most (public transportation with the Flagship, dining with either of the two and groceries with the Amex Gold) and will be using more in 2019 (travel with either of the two even though I anticipate using the new Amex revolvers more often and shopping through Member Mall on the Flagship).

No credit news is good credit news!
Message 21 of 71
blazerein
Established Contributor

"Don't live life without it"  - Thankful they let me get back in.

AAoA 6yrs 3mos | Inquries: TU5/EQ5/EX8 | Utilization: 9% | Mortgage: 1 | Auto Loan: 2 | Personal Loan: 2 | Derogatory: 0

> >CREDIT UNION

EX- 585, TU- 583, EQ- 563 | CURRENT SCORE UPDATED: 2/2023 -> FICO 8 EX 754 TU 741 EQ 755 | FICO 9 EX 747 EQ 763 TU 756
Message 22 of 71
redpat
Senior Contributor

I'll have to give CO honorable mention because of Venture change and Savor card.  Plus they aren't approval Wh...ores anymore......

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 23 of 71
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@redpat wrote:

I'll have to give CO honorable mention because of Venture change and Savor card.  Plus they aren't approval Wh...ores anymore......

heck 95% of people on this forum with 800+ scores cound't get them due to our lack of gardening skills Smiley Happy.  Granted you are probably in the 5% that havent opened up alot of personal cards in the last two years and probably safe with chase as well although i think cap1 is tigether than chase these days

Message 24 of 71
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

For the sake of straying from the pack, I'm going to pick a store card as my card for the year...and it's Lowe's.  No Amex, Visa, MasterCard, or Discover has ever let me borrow the money that I have with no interest, 24 months at a time.  The amount of money I've pumped through that card interest free is just c~r~a~z~y!  Even with the lowest of low APRs I could have never pulled off the stuff I have with any major card.  All jokes aside, my Lowe's card, with its very generous limit, has allowed me to turn an already nice house into a wonderful and relaxing home.  

While travel and all the perks that come with it is certainly fun and exciting, I spend the vast major of my time at home when not working.  And every square foot of my home has been made even better in some way or another via Lowe's.  So for that reason alone, they get my vote for card of the year.

Now, for Credit Card Company of the year, like most here have said, and I echo, Amex all the way.  Not because they have the best of the best but because they're changing things and keeping it interesting; providing all of us who are waaaaayyyyy outside 5/24, a place to come and play in the travel game.

Message 25 of 71
redpat
Senior Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@redpat wrote:

heck 95% of people on this forum with 800+ scores cound't get them due to our lack of gardening skills Smiley Happy.  Granted you are probably in the 5% that havent opened up alot of personal cards in the last two years and probably safe with chase as well although i think cap1 is tigether than chase these days

LOL!  All are frozen so I can't even look to see a preapproval and $30 to apply for unfreezing, no way. 

I think in Jan or Feb I'm 1/24, inqs EQ 0 TU 1 EX 0

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 26 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Loquat wrote:

For the sake of straying from the pack, I'm going to pick a store card as my card for the year...and it's Lowe's.  No Amex, Visa, MasterCard, or Discover has ever let me borrow the money that I have with no interest, 24 months at a time.  The amount of money I've pumped through that card interest free is just c~r~a~z~y!  Even with the lowest of low APRs I could have never pulled off the stuff I have with any major card.  All jokes aside, my Lowe's card, with its very generous limit, has allowed me to turn an already nice house into a wonderful and relaxing home.  

While travel and all the perks that come with it is certainly fun and exciting, I spend the vast major of my time at home when not working.  And every square foot of my home has been made even better in some way or another via Lowe's.  So for that reason alone, they get my vote for card of the year.

Now, for Credit Card Company of the year, like most here have said, and I echo, Amex all the way.  Not because they have the best of the best but because they're changing things and keeping it interesting; providing all of us who are waaaaayyyyy outside 5/24, a place to come and play in the travel game.

I love my Lowes card as well.  Just put a massive amount on it because we are remodeling the kitchen and it is turning out to be very expensive (of course).  Also used it quite a bit like you in the past couple of years.  They could use me as an advertisement.

Message 27 of 71
nrm
Frequent Contributor

Blispay! 'nough said. Come on folks, is there any credit card company other than Blispay help you save money during the hottest shopping season of the year?
Message 28 of 71
The-Credit-Disciple
Frequent Contributor

Its Hard to say for me. I got it close with Amex 1A. And Discover 1B. Both of these companies gave me a chance. Customer service from both has been Stellar
Message 29 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit One!!

Message 30 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.