cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card and Credit Card Company of the Year

Highlighted
Valued Member

Re: Credit card and Credit Card Company of the Year

Altitude Reserve by far my best card, US Bank...Mehh hard pull for everything, csr`s a little on the cold side but no problems so far. Bank of the year for me would be discover, customer service is the best and the cash back match this year will be getting me a nice fat check this month. 

Starting Scores 02/01/2017 - Fako: EQ 498 / TU 519 / EX /502 (11 collections, 3 tax liens, 1 30 day late)
Current Scores 07/19/18 Fico 8: EQ 721 / TU 731 / EX 736 (Clean report except 1-30 day late +3yrs)
AoOA = 5.5 years; AAoA = 16 mos.; AoYA = 4 mos | INQs EX 5 EQ 4 TU 6 | Util. 7%
Message 31 of 71
Mega Contributor

The nominations of Cash Magnet makes me wonder about [non-FSR comment deleted!]  Reminds me of people swearing by the Venture (pre its latest changes).  Yes, a 1.5% cashback card on a (slightly) limited network is a great innovation!   (No problem with the suggestion of Amex Gold, that really has features.)

Message 32 of 71
Senior Contributor

While I'm all for more Centurion lounges, it seems a little premature to give Amex a 2018 award for lounges that won't open until 2019 (LAX, JFK, I think DEN) or 2020 (CLT, PHX?).

That said, I'd probably go with Amex. I got a few nice reward and transfer promos, a great long-term card in BBP, and some nice Cent/Skyclub visits.

Protections: CSR, Schwab Platinum, Costco, Double Cash
Rewards/Offers: BBP, CF, CFU, Discover, ED, BCE
Annual nights: IHG, Hyatt
PIN: Arrival
Bonus chasing/retention games: Aviator Red, SPG Luxury
Message 33 of 71
New Contributor

Although I find this thread extremely educational for us "New Credit Users coming back from the Depths",

I would love to see an "NFCU Favorite Card" thread and an "AMEX Favorite Card" thread Heart

Chase Freedom Unlimited $2,750 || Chase Amazon Prime $4k || Capital One QS $3k || NFCU Platinum $5k || AMEX Everyday $2k || AMEX BCE $2k || Citibank Best Buy $750 || Nordstroms $500 || Overstock $2k ||
Message 34 of 71
New Contributor

@KattaK wrote:

Although I find this thread extremely educational for us "New Credit Users coming back from the Depths",

I would love to see an "NFCU Favorite Card" thread and an "AMEX Favorite Card" thread Heart

Ask and you shall receive, great idea!

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/What-s-your-favorite-card-from-NFCU/td-p/5427183/

Starting Score: 647
Current Score: 647
Goal Score:700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

My Cards: Cap1 Plat (PC'd to QS) $8,250, SSFCU Power Cash Rewards WMC - $5,000, Discover It - $7,500, NFCU cashRewards - $7,500, BBVA Compass ClearPoints - $2,000

Goal: cashRewards CLI to $7,500 and then garden! Garden time!
Message 35 of 71
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

While I'm all for more Centurion lounges, it seems a little premature to give Amex a 2018 award for lounges that won't open until 2019 (LAX, JFK, I think DEN) or 2020 (CLT, PHX?).

That said, I'd probably go with Amex. I got a few nice reward and transfer promos, a great long-term card in BBP, and some nice Cent/Skyclub visits.

I agree, but just the announcement of CLT, PHX and LHR gets me giddy because who else is expanding lounges when AA has even closed some.

Citi Exec might be on the chopping block in 2020.

Amex Plats | Amex PRG | Ink+ | Chase Reserve | Amex BRG | Barclays AA | Citi AA exec | Amex Hilton
Message 36 of 71
Senior Contributor

@redpat wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

I agree, but just the announcement of CLT, PHX and LHR gets me giddy because who else is expanding lounges when AA has even closed some.

Citi Exec might be on the chopping block in 2020.

The combined Centurion + Delta-when-flying-Delta footprint has suited me well for some time, but Centurion is definitely becoming pretty widespread on a standalone basis.

Protections: CSR, Schwab Platinum, Costco, Double Cash
Rewards/Offers: BBP, CF, CFU, Discover, ED, BCE
Annual nights: IHG, Hyatt
PIN: Arrival
Bonus chasing/retention games: Aviator Red, SPG Luxury
Message 37 of 71

I'm going to be an oddball and mention that I'm generally pleased with all the banks I deal with, and I have most of the 'big' ones. 

Although lately I've found myself using my BCP, Cash+ and Propel more often than the rest I still use the others when there's a reason (BT promos, quarterly categories, etc.) and I have no complaints with any of them.  Looking ahead, I suspect I'll be using my Amex Gold more in the coming year.

Either I'm just really easy to please, or my financial situation is just much more simple than most around here (I suspect the latter). Smiley Happy

*One notable exception is Blispay, but since I wasn't singled-out (and I have other options) I'm not too torn-up over it.  Smiley Mad

Message 38 of 71
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

The nominations of Cash Magnet makes me wonder about [non-FSR comment deleted!]  Reminds me of people swearing by the Venture (pre its latest changes).  Yes, a 1.5% cashback card on a (slightly) limited network is a great innovation!   (No problem with the suggestion of Amex Gold, that really has features.)

I'm in complete agreement.  The industry standard for credit cards is 2% cash back with no annual fee and no restrictions on redemptions.  Anything less than that is a subpar credit card.

Chase Sapphire Reserve • PenFed Power Cash Rewards • and five cards in the sock drawer

No CC debt • No bonus chasing • No app sprees • No gift cards • No AZEO • No airline incidentals • No hotel cards • No store cards • No business cards • No authorized users
Message 39 of 71
Valued Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I'm in complete agreement.  The industry standard for credit cards is 2% cash back with no annual fee and no restrictions on redemptions.  Anything less than that is a subpar credit card.

Well if someone is looking for a 15 month 0% no AF card and is an existing Amex cardholder it's not that bad to get w/o a HP and It's very easy to move around CLs to take advantage of that 15 months.  There are different reasons other than 1.5%

Also, as to Venture, I had that card back in the day with a $55 AF which wasn't bad because the card was great for my international travel spend w/ no FTFs.  Most 2% cards had FTFs at that time and others had higher AFs with no FTFs.  I put all my business expenses on it and it worked out well before I switched to MR and UR point systems.

Amex Plats | Amex PRG | Ink+ | Chase Reserve | Amex BRG | Barclays AA | Citi AA exec | Amex Hilton
Message 40 of 71