Credit card and Credit Card Company of the Year

tag
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit card and Credit Card Company of the Year

@redpat wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@redpat wrote:

I'll have to give CO honorable mention because of Venture change and Savor card.  Plus they aren't approval Wh...ores anymore......

heck 95% of people on this forum with 800+ scores cound't get them due to our lack of gardening skills Smiley Happy.  Granted you are probably in the 5% that havent opened up alot of personal cards in the last two years and probably safe with chase as well although i think cap1 is tigether than chase these days

LOL!  All are frozen so I can't even look to see a preapproval and $30 to apply for unfreezing, no way. 

I think in Jan or Feb I'm 1/24, inqs EQ 0 TU 1 EX 0

If I'm not mistaken, you can freeze and unfreeze your reports for free as of the end of September. I forget the day the new law passed regarding CR freezes.

Message 41 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

RicHowe ... GADS! I just can't "LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT" ... Smiley Surprised

Message 42 of 71
redpat
Senior Contributor

@imaximous wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@redpat wrote:

I'll have to give CO honorable mention because of Venture change and Savor card.  Plus they aren't approval Wh...ores anymore......

heck 95% of people on this forum with 800+ scores cound't get them due to our lack of gardening skills Smiley Happy.  Granted you are probably in the 5% that havent opened up alot of personal cards in the last two years and probably safe with chase as well although i think cap1 is tigether than chase these days

LOL!  All are frozen so I can't even look to see a preapproval and $30 to apply for unfreezing, no way. 

I think in Jan or Feb I'm 1/24, inqs EQ 0 TU 1 EX 0

If I'm not mistaken, you can freeze and unfreeze your reports for free as of the end of September. I forget the day the new law passed regarding CR freezes.

Thanks, but too much work to just see that I'm pre-approved for a card I don't want.  Besides, Amex made it real easy for card apps now.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 43 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

Surprised nobody has mentioned Credit One. 😉
Message 44 of 71
Noneed2nv
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@redpat wrote: 

Company of the year, Amex because of above and they are taking themselves to the next level with opening more Centurion Lounges, CLT is a big one for me.  If they could only get AA as a transfer partner it would be game, set and match.

CLT Centurion Lounge!?!?! I can't believe this is the first I'm hearing of this! I have Delta status from DGF and am an AU on a Plat... this really softens the blow of Delta's limited service at CLT for me. I don't fly much, but still a really nice perk at my home airport!

I'm happily surprised to hear this too since I fly between CLT and BWI every 4-6 weeks.  Also, my 2018 company vote would be AMEX just because they are the like the girl who I thought was out of my league and now I'm sitting here on a date with the DG and Aspire cards in my back pocket. Smiley Happy

The Hilton card is my personal favorite just for the 125k sub and frequency I anticipate using.  Fingers crossed for the 3x CLI in a week.  Looking forward to 2019 and I have my eyes on one final card for my wallet.... 

Message 45 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to agree.  Amex stepped up their game this year with the Amex Gold (they had to).  Amex is now the king of the food category and in my opinion this puts them back on top.  Chase put the pressure on, Amex responded.  Consumer wins.  I hope we see the competition heat up into 2019.  It'll be interesting to see how things change once a recession hits.  More competition for the smaller sliver of good borrowers?  Or less appetite due to increasing risk?

Message 46 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im gonna go with Wells Fargo.

I truly think WF propel+VISA signature is the biggest reward there is for a travel card, at no AF, this changed game for the category. Neither chase, Citi, Cap1, nor Amex has come up with anything as major as WF did with propel.

Message 47 of 71
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

The nominations of Cash Magnet makes me wonder about [non-FSR comment deleted!]  Reminds me of people swearing by the Venture (pre its latest changes).  Yes, a 1.5% cashback card on a (slightly) limited network is a great innovation!   (No problem with the suggestion of Amex Gold, that really has features.)

I'm in complete agreement.  The industry standard for credit cards is 2% cash back with no annual fee and no restrictions on redemptions.  Anything less than that is a subpar credit card.

Absolutely! I was surprised at the enthusiasm here for Cash Magnet, it's just another 1.5% card with a so-so SUB, I don't get the enthusiasm. But I've never been a fan of Amex and never will be, even with a BCE w/$8k CL and ED with $13k, they're my least used cards - half my grocery spend is at Walmart with no BCE 3%, and I rarely travel so the ED MR points are used at Amazon for less than the 1 cent value of other reward points.

Accordingly, I nominate Synchrony and the PayPal 2% Cashback card - 2% rewards everywhere on everything. Runner-up: Synchrony again, the lowly Walmart store card - nice $10k CL, I've gotten 3% rewards for several months this year with Walmart Pay promo, and free cashback (if PIF by due date), making it easy to not deal with ATMs. I was robbed once using an ATM in Vegas in the dead of night, so not fond memories of ATMs. (And no, not gambling - getting cash on my way to a 6am flight for business. 

Message 48 of 71
EdMan63
Established Contributor

I love my Amex Delta Plat. It just works for me with travel and use. I also really love my QS and Cap One. They are both easy banks to work with. 

Message 49 of 71
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, always bashers of Amex Magnet ,1.5% cards, and anything that doesnt match up to the high earners idea of rewards. If people want to support or be enthusiastic over any credit card, thats fine and doesnt always have to incur the same comments , ala credit card snobery. 2% the standard with no redemptions ? Lol, many have some sort of redemption, just look at Citi DC, at $25. Dont worry guys, i probably wont be around much lomger but it irks me to always see same hypocrisy in these kind of threads. We get it , a 1.5% card or Amex isnt for everyone so just enjoy your Chase or USBank and move on.
Message 50 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.