imaximous
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit card and Credit Card Company of the Year

@redpat wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@redpat wrote:

I'll have to give CO honorable mention because of Venture change and Savor card.  Plus they aren't approval Wh...ores anymore......

heck 95% of people on this forum with 800+ scores cound't get them due to our lack of gardening skills Smiley Happy.  Granted you are probably in the 5% that havent opened up alot of personal cards in the last two years and probably safe with chase as well although i think cap1 is tigether than chase these days

LOL!  All are frozen so I can't even look to see a preapproval and $30 to apply for unfreezing, no way. 

I think in Jan or Feb I'm 1/24, inqs EQ 0 TU 1 EX 0

If I'm not mistaken, you can freeze and unfreeze your reports for free as of the end of September. I forget the day the new law passed regarding CR freezes.

Thanks, but too much work to just see that I'm pre-approved for a card I don't want.  Besides, Amex made it real easy for card apps now.

I hear you. But just in case you may be interested, EQ and TU have dedicated mobile apps for freezing and unfreezing your reports. That's all they do. It only takes a couple of taps. It definitely beats having to go to their sites, logging in, doing a bunch of security verifications and all.  

Message 51 of 71
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Lol, always bashers of Amex Magnet ,1.5% cards, and anything that doesnt match up to the high earners idea of rewards. If people want to support or be enthusiastic over any credit card, thats fine and doesnt always have to incur the same comments , ala credit card snobery. 2% the standard with no redemptions ? Lol, many have some sort of redemption, just look at Citi DC, at $25. Dont worry guys, i probably wont be around much lomger but it irks me to always see same hypocrisy in these kind of threads. We get it , a 1.5% card or Amex isnt for everyone so just enjoy your Chase or USBank and move on.

OK, I know you like your Magnet card, all I said is that I gon't get the enthusiasm. But I also said I'm not a fan of Amex, but I guess Magnet is better than other Amex cards where you get 3% or 2% on 1 or 2 categories - with annual limits and only 1% everything else. But I'm big on reward cards, and I don't think keeping mind what card gives you x% rewards is that hard - pulling into a gas station> OK, that's BoA Cash Rewards for 3%. Doing my month shopping at Safeway grocery to stock up on wine and maybe some club card specials that are a decent deal compared to Walmart - Amex BCE, the only time it gets used.

Good point on redemption levels. BCE is $25 min., and only using it for limited groceries that's about once a year redemption . BoA Cash Rewards is also $25 min. and only using for gas that's maybe twice a year redemption. The worst card I had was Barclays Cash Forward, $50 min. redemption and with 1.5% rewards that's alot of spend. I ditched it for Uber, which has a $25 min. redemption, but as I only use it for 4% dining that will only 1 or 2 redemptions per year.

Does the Cash Magnet have a minimum redemption? Amex seems to want to approve me for one, but not now. To be honest my use for Amex is the 15 month 0% on new cards, and I'll wait until I pay off my ED 0% next July.

Sorry if I came a bit harsh on Cash Magnet, I just have some old issues with Amex with their stupid no preset spending limit charge cards, unless you're a monthly big spender on them they demand you explain yourself when you take their advice and don't leave home without it on a trip, and that was even as an AU on a corp card. Peace out. Smiley Happy

Message 52 of 71
RonM21
Valued Contributor

For me and my personal profile, it would likely be Discover. That card just continues to grow with ease and no set backs. Navy would prob be right behind them.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 53 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm still a Chase girl through and through. I have a 25-year history with them (my oldest account, still open and quite active), and when I got into the credit card hobby in 2016, it was with new Chase cards. I've had cards from pretty much every other lender too, and while they all have their benefits and serve their purposes, it's the good ol' Chase cards that I reach for the most. My Freedom Unlimited and CSP are currently the "dynamic duo" and when the classic Freedom joins the family as soon as I'm back under 5/24, the trifecta will be set and I doubt I'll stray much from it. CSP may get an upgrade to CSR, but otherwise, I think I'll be settled. I have yet to pay for a Southwest flight or a night in a Hyatt hotel since getting into Chase's Ultimate Rewards program, and I hope that continues. Speaking of which, the old Hyatt card still has and probably will always have a place with me too. $75 for a night in a category 4 property is worth it. It's my Netflix card. 

So 2018, once again, belongs to Chase for me. I'm loyal. Smiley Happy

Message 54 of 71
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Lol, always bashers of Amex Magnet ,1.5% cards, and anything that doesnt match up to the high earners idea of rewards. If people want to support or be enthusiastic over any credit card, thats fine and doesnt always have to incur the same comments , ala credit card snobery. 2% the standard with no redemptions ? Lol, many have some sort of redemption, just look at Citi DC, at $25. Dont worry guys, i probably wont be around much lomger but it irks me to always see same hypocrisy in these kind of threads. We get it , a 1.5% card or Amex isnt for everyone so just enjoy your Chase or USBank and move on.

Sorry AJC, I don't see any hypocrisy in these comments. At most, a difference is metrics as to what makes a card great.    If someone can post saying the Cash Magnet is the Card of the Year, I am equally free to suggest that it falls short of greatness (for me) in many ways.   Hypocrisy would be if I said that and in fact used it as my only card (and wickedness would be if I also encouraged people to get it via my referral links)

Message 55 of 71
redpat
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Sorry AJC, I don't see any hypocrisy in these comments. At most, a difference is metrics as to what makes a card great.    If someone can post saying the Cash Magnet is the Card of the Year, I am equally free to suggest that it falls short of greatness (for me) in many ways.   Hypocrisy would be if I said that and in fact used it as my only card (and wickedness would be if I also encouraged people to get it via my referral links)

Lol!  Okay LTL, what is your card of the year so others can rain on your parade.....At least I know it won't be Amex????? 

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 56 of 71
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@redpat wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Lol!  Okay LTL, what is your card of the year so others can rain on your parade.....At least I know it won't be Amex????? 

IMO there is a difference between "There are reasons why that card isn't so great" and "raining on your parade".   As said from time to time, there is a balance between FSR and usefulness.   Yes, the whole forum could be "I respect your choices and if you think the Credit One is the best card ever that's valid" but then that's not much of a discussion.

This year hasn't been sufficiently exciting for me to have a card of the year.   My most recent useful find is Square Cash debit, but for many that won't be particularly valuable.

Message 57 of 71
Remedios
Credit Mentor

To some people Credit One could have been the most valuable card.
I would imagine the point of this thread being which card and company had the most value to an individual, not the general philosophy on what the real value in cards is.

For me, it was Discover. It wont be next year.
Message 58 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:
To some people Credit One could have been the most valuable card.
I would imagine the point of this thread being which card and company had the most value to an individual, not the general philosophy on what the real value in cards is.

For me, it was Discover. It wont be next year.

This. 

As a lowly almost exlusive lurker i know my opinion my not hold much importance, but I enjoyed reading this thread until it became preachy.  The question was about YOUR card of the year, not THE card of the year. 

Ill go go back to lurking now...

Message 59 of 71
shoegal
Valued Contributor

For me, it was Amex and Synch and with that 3 cards.

The PayPal 2% card. It grew very fast and I enjoyed the no bs redemption method.

Second place, the Amex Gold. I was going to close that card in October but then Amex revamped it and it’s now part of my daily cards with the Amex BBP which is my other favorite card this year.

Message 60 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.