Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card and Credit Card Company of the Year

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit card and Credit Card Company of the Year

Hypocrisy was probably wrong word to use . I know a 1.5 card isnt the BEST card out there, ive been around long enough. But for whatever reasons an individual finds reason to like their card, whether it be rewards, looks, both or other , it doesnt always have to be ponted out . Let them enjoy their choice. In a thread that asks is this best choice by all means explain why its not the best but in a thread asking personal opinion on individuals own pick, then i would hope it could be theirs to share without judgement. With my spend, not much difference with a 2% and a 1.5% and if it comes to me having to get to $25 to cash out or using a 1.5% with no redemptions, ill use my 1.5% card.
Message 61 of 71
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

Amex was my company of the year. After making out 5/24 and still getting a couple chase cards after 5/24 last year, I finally went after Amex this year. Got their 3 Hilton cards, along with the invaluable BBP and Gold cards.

Favorite card of the year would most likely be the Aspire. Gold is solid, and I was happy to have gotten it with first year waived and $195 AF second year, but I’ll have to reconsider the card when the $250 AF is about to hit. The credits on the Aspire though, make it much easier to keep long term.

[2/2019]
Message 62 of 71
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

OK, here's another nominee: My Merrick Bank Visa. One of my first CCs after my BK7 discharged Jan. 2011, Merrick approved me Dec. 2011. I forget my starting limit, but now $3100 CL. No fees, and just a modest 27.45% APR, or 32.45% for a little cash advance. Smiley LOL

But my card of the year as they have never got a penny in interest from me. And as my rebuild reached into Amex, Discover, Bank of America and 720+ Fico scores I've long since stopped caring about my Merrick CC, but with no fees why close it? It's been at least 3 years since the only thing to hit the card is my $10.80 / mo. Netflix disk by mail sub, and that seems to keep them happy.

Happy Holidays, Merrick Bank! How about a little APR reduction to say, 27.39%? Smiley Wink

Message 63 of 71
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Happy Holidays, Merrick Bank! How about a little APR reduction to say, 27.39%? Smiley Wink

You think we are a charity or something?   27.39%? Ha!  Wouldn't begin to cover our expenses.

Message 64 of 71
red259
Super Contributor

I agree with Amex Gold and Co-branded card Amex Aspire not to mention the amex business blue plus with 2 amex points on all spend. Unfortunatly I have no faith in amex especially after the changes to the business plat so I feel its only a matter of time before they try to jack up the AF or gut the benefits in a money grab and make these cards crappy again. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 65 of 71
red259
Super Contributor

@redpat wrote:

Since we are coming to an end of another year what is your card and company of the year?

My vote

Amex Gold and Co-branded card Amex Aspire

Company of the year, Amex because of above and they are taking themselves to the next level with opening more Centurion Lounges, CLT is a big one for me.  If they could only get AA as a transfer partner it would be game, set and match.

They have had an extraordinary comeback when everyone left them for dead by losing Costco, Jet Blue and Chase adding CSR.

OMG I wish they had AA as a transfer partner. Then again the moment that happened all the award spaces would be taken up and AA miles would become completely useless. Points are outstanding but companies go out of their way to make it difficult to use them sometimes. Travel bloggers don't mention that part. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 66 of 71
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Having my Cap1 Savor go to 4% dining which I use each day for breakfast and no annual fee was the best. Then my BB&T 3% gas which I use also each day for lunch and the usual gas ranks #2. And my 2nd Discover this year and its double cash back is 3rd. Raking in the CB rewards for 2018. Cha Ching!

Message 67 of 71
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Lol, always bashers of Amex Magnet ,1.5% cards, and anything that doesnt match up to the high earners idea of rewards. If people want to support or be enthusiastic over any credit card, thats fine and doesnt always have to incur the same comments , ala credit card snobery. 2% the standard with no redemptions ? Lol, many have some sort of redemption, just look at Citi DC, at $25. Dont worry guys, i probably wont be around much lomger but it irks me to always see same hypocrisy in these kind of threads. We get it , a 1.5% card or Amex isnt for everyone so just enjoy your Chase or USBank and move on.

OK, I know you like your Magnet card, all I said is that I gon't get the enthusiasm. But I also said I'm not a fan of Amex, but I guess Magnet is better than other Amex cards where you get 3% or 2% on 1 or 2 categories - with annual limits and only 1% everything else. But I'm big on reward cards, and I don't think keeping mind what card gives you x% rewards is that hard - pulling into a gas station> OK, that's BoA Cash Rewards for 3%. Doing my month shopping at Safeway grocery to stock up on wine and maybe some club card specials that are a decent deal compared to Walmart - Amex BCE, the only time it gets used.

Good point on redemption levels. BCE is $25 min., and only using it for limited groceries that's about once a year redemption . BoA Cash Rewards is also $25 min. and only using for gas that's maybe twice a year redemption. The worst card I had was Barclays Cash Forward, $50 min. redemption and with 1.5% rewards that's alot of spend. I ditched it for Uber, which has a $25 min. redemption, but as I only use it for 4% dining that will only 1 or 2 redemptions per year.

Does the Cash Magnet have a minimum redemption? Amex seems to want to approve me for one, but not now. To be honest my use for Amex is the 15 month 0% on new cards, and I'll wait until I pay off my ED 0% next July.

Sorry if I came a bit harsh on Cash Magnet, I just have some old issues with Amex with their stupid no preset spending limit charge cards, unless you're a monthly big spender on them they demand you explain yourself when you take their advice and don't leave home without it on a trip, and that was even as an AU on a corp card. Peace out. Smiley Happy

For some people the limited redemptions (once or twice a year) are not worth carrying a bunch of extra cards. Others don't mind. There's no right or wrong. I don't find keeping the categories straight to be hard per se, just not really worth it for my spend level to cash out an extra few bucks once a year.

On the original topic, my favorite card this year has been my (wildlife fund) BOA Cash Rewards, but probably because I bank with them and it's easy to track spending vs savings vs checking. They have been flexible with APR and limit, and I like the cash back. Do I squeeze out every possible dollar? Probably not, but I value simplicity and not tracking a bunch of accounts like I used to.

Message 68 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hate sound to like an echo but my Company of the Year would go to American Express and my Card of the Year would go to the American Express Gold Card.

They are my Company of the Year because they auto CLI'd my ED to $11,000 this year and is my first card over $10,000! This ED started at $1,000 3 years ago and I think I've requested 1 CLI personally, the rest were auto CLIs. Some of this limit was moved last month however to approve me for the Delta Amex but I don't mind.

And the Amex Gold is my Card of the Year because of 4x back on restaurants and groceries which are two of my biggest spend categories.

Message 69 of 71
Namaste7
Established Contributor

Best of the 2018....

Per post guidelines

1. Credit card company: AMEX

• Great eco system for Coporate/Small Biz + Personal use
  • Great branded + co-branded lineup 
  • Very good customer service (IMHO) --> This does not mean I agree with everything they do. 

2. Credit card: Amex Gold

• 4X food + grocery
  • 3X personal travel
  • $100 airline credit
  • $100 corporate rebate

Namaste's honorable mentions

1. Lender with best 2 or 3 card combo: Amex [Gold + BBP + Hilton] 

• This combo, along with the corporate card, covers the majority of my transactional spend
  • Gold: NPSL (and other points above)
  • BBP: 2x and flexible spending power

2. Favorite SUB of the year: Amex Hilton

• 2018 year of Ascend
  • 2019 upgrade to Aspire
  • Respectable / usable credits (hotel+airline)

3. One stop shop (CU or bank): PFCU 

Disclaimer: PFCU is not for everyone and YMMV. If I had to simplify my banking life immediately, PFCU is a short-list candidate. 

• 2% credit card with simple redemption
  • Solid BT cards and decent low-rate card offerings
  • High-yield online savings
  • Great money market cert (CD) rates
  • Free checking with low minimum requirements (required for 2% PCR for non-miliary) and fast ACH(In)
  • Desired improvement: (1) Front-line agents as knowledge as supervisors, (2) support for Zelle and (3) improve online experience.

4. Retail card of the year: PP Credit 

• 6-month no interest, >$99 

~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 70 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.