Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card application

tag
namvet
Established Contributor

Re: Credit card application

Actually there should be 1 score. I don't understand the point of 3. 

Years ago credit was recorded and reported by small local and regional agencies all across the country.  They didn't communicate with each other.  So you had credit in Florida and moved to say Texas and applied for credit.  No recorded report.  All the small local and regional agencies have now been consolidated into the big 3 (Ex,EQ and TU).  It probably takes 3 to keep up with all the traffic. 

Message 41 of 46
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

I have yet to pay for a score.   For me, understanding what goes into a score and periodically reviewing the CR is enough.  I know how to optimize my score, which I do at application time.  I don't think paying for a FICO score is worth it for me.  

Please share how to optimize scores before application time.

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 42 of 46
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@JusdoNit wrote:

@Wolf3 wrote:

I have yet to pay for a score.   For me, understanding what goes into a score and periodically reviewing the CR is enough.  I know how to optimize my score, which I do at application time.  I don't think paying for a FICO score is worth it for me.  

Please share how to optimize scores before application time.

I'm guessing he's talking about having all your cards but one report $0, and have that one report about $20. Pay them off right before the statement dates to control the reported balance.

You'll want to start this about 6 weeks before you plan to app in order to let all your cards cycle through with the new balances.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 43 of 46
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

My WalMart TU score and my "MyFico" TU score were 1 point apart.  I think it's a YMMV situation since banks, cc companies and lenders use their own scoring models.

Message 44 of 46
fedxboy
Established Contributor

They say YMMV......

As is, in my case....Myfico reported my score here of 683 on 1-19-2012;  however,  Walmart reported my score as 706 as of 1/05/12....  

C'est la vie!

(7/23/16) AMEX FICO EX 728, (6/20/16) Discover FICO TU 747, (7/24/16) Barclays FICO 750 (TC Lines $400+K) AAoA= 4.3 yrs
Message 45 of 46
ssghandless
Contributor

I agree with the OP. What's the point of a guessamate score? You might as well get a FREE one. Eliminate a bogus expense. That could go towards another bill. Do not upsell it if it is not worth the word it's printed.  And it's not disrespect when you demand a product to do what you intended it to when you paid for it. Either it does that or return it. Since you can not then you were sold a bag of worthless goods. I agree 100% with OP. More research was warranted for the card, not for the drop in 50 points on trumped in-house scoring system. 

4/5/12 TU-635 Ex-634 Eq-646 (Kroll Fact. Home loan)
9/8/10 TU-654 Ex-627 Eq-638
8/1/10 TU-629 Ex-627 Eq-638

Starting Score: 526
Current Score: 635
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 46 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.