cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card at a credit union for military veteran? Help me find one?

tag
dalebb
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit card at a credit union for military veteran? Help me find one?

@CS800 wrote:
Your eligIbility is your husband as a veteran not his credit if I
Thinking it the right way.

any1 can join if u donate to one of two different programs on the join site, pen fed that is....
Message 21 of 54
CS800
Super Contributor

But I'm thinking to op's example she could join based on her husbands eligibility as a veteran and his credit would have nothIng to do with it if she applies solo.

Message 22 of 54
TanterBeans
New Contributor

Okay, I checked out PenFed and I like what I see...

I'd still sell my soul to get in NFCU...okay, maybe not sell my soul. 

I might call USAA tomorrow first and talk with them over the phone rather than even trying anything online if I'm just going to get rejected anyways. 

Can anyone maybe list their preference of the 3 in order?  in relationship to credit lines, etc.?

Would it be...

NFCU

PenFed

USAA

or do I just have NFCU up on some pedestal? I'm only liking them so much because of various post I have read...I guess it doesn't matter anyways because we can't get it. 

Between PenFed and USAA does anyone have a preference?

Message 23 of 54
drkaje
Senior Contributor

PenFed is very conservative. They wouldn't give me the gas card with a paid CO and no lates in 5 years.

USAA is also pretty conservative, too.

Don't really know anything about NCFU.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 24 of 54
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Also if stationed stateside, there are local CUs that you can qualify for if you had been stationed there at some point in time. YMMV on the CU of course.

Message 25 of 54
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

In order I would say NFCU / USAA / PenFed.  That's also pretty much the order of their willingness to overlook / overcome some prior credit mishaps.  In your case as you stated NFCU is not an option based on your husbands prior service. But there are other options open for membership. I am in as a DOD contractor assigned to a base. Or perhaps you have a close relative eligible for membership and you can follow them.

If NFCU is out then at least with USAA your husbands prior service qualifies you for "Full membership" which means you can get all their credit and insurance products. His BK with them included may affect his ability to get credit products but probably not insurance. Talk to their CSR's they are friendly and knowledgeable. USAA has my mortgage and all of my insurance. I also have a CC from them but I accepted it on a preapproval in my accounts page after my mortgage. For full members their interest rates are great. For limited members, not so much.

As to PenFed I have no experience and no relationship. Only what I have read in the forums. A great CU if your credit history is in excellent shape.

TanterBeans wrote:

Okay, I checked out PenFed and I like what I see...

I'd still sell my soul to get in NFCU...okay, maybe not sell my soul. 

I might call USAA tomorrow first and talk with them over the phone rather than even trying anything online if I'm just going to get rejected anyways. 

Can anyone maybe list their preference of the 3 in order?  in relationship to credit lines, etc.?

Would it be...

NFCU

PenFed

USAA

or do I just have NFCU up on some pedestal? I'm only liking them so much because of various post I have read...I guess it doesn't matter anyways because we can't get it. 

Between PenFed and USAA does anyone have a preference?

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 26 of 54
p-
Valued Contributor

@TanterBeans wrote:

... you think I might actually be able to open an account at USAA using my husband as my eligibility even though he might be blacklisted from the BK years ago?

Step 1 - Go to USAA.com and sign up your husband for USAA - he will get a member #.  As a Veteran, he gets full membership at no cost.  There is no credit requirement.

Step 2 - Set up his online logins, and have him add you and any children as family members.  Each of you will be issued a USAA number good for life.  You will all be full members.

Step 3 - Choose the products you want.  If you want insurance, get a quote.  If you want to apply for a credit card, as a full member you can app without him. My credit is better than my wife's so I app'd for the USAA AMEX on my own, then added her as an AU.  her and all my kids have USAA numbers.

You can get the member number regardless of credit standing.  Based on your scores, you might be best talking to them about a secured card (click LINK) .  Then, when the card graduates add him as an AU, to help his credit.  The CSR's are actually really nice and helpful.  Also, once you are a member the website has a "my offers" tab where you'll get pre-approvals when they are ready to issue you a card.  Supposedly they are screened pretty well and almost always are approved when you accept the offer. I know it worked for me.

REmember, eventually even BKs age off...  Hang in there.

Good luck!

Message 27 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

Give Service Credit Union a call! I'm active duty but I just got my scores to a decent level and closed on a home. I just got my first major cc with them last week for a Visa platinum cash rewards card. The credit limit is $7500! The APR is 12% but it's a good start for me. I only had an Aafes Star Card with a $2800 limit so Im happy!
Message 28 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I forgot to tell you the main Branch is in New Hampshire, but you can Google it and call them. I bank with Usaa but I have them over here in Germany for a truck I bought here. I applied in person. I have a few past derogs from 2009 but They approved me so maybe this helps!
Message 29 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there, I am a representative for Service Credit Union and want to say thanks for mentioning us.

Edited

Hope this helps -- and thanks to all veterans for what they do and have done for our country!

Message 30 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.