Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card comparison ...

tag
Veee
Frequent Contributor

Credit card comparison ...

I think I'm going to apply for another CC.  I only have a Target Visa and a Chase BP card.  The target I use and the BP I just started using again because its my oldest card and I don't want it to go away and lose the age.

I have been researching CC's and at this point I'm looking at the following ...

Chase Freedom
Discover More
Citi Platinum
HSBC Platinum Mastercard

My scores are listed below except for EQ which I got this weekend at 691. 
No inq's on TU and EX, for EQ 1 in 2007 and 2 in 2008
I'm in Florida if any one know who pulls which CR
Average age is 9 except TU is 7
I'm looking for basically a cash rewards card as I'm not usually an over the top CC user, I don't travel much either yada yada.  When I do use it I would like something in return Smiley Happy

Any advise about who might be easier to get, who's better altogether etc ...
When I do a search HSBC comes up alot but I don't hear many of you liking them to much.
Because I have the Chase BP I was thinking not them either, just to have someone different.

Thanks for any input,
Veee
Myfico scores as of 11/12/08 TU 750 EX 722

MyFico scores as of 9/20/08 TU 638 EX 663 EQ 691
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Miner
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit card comparison ...

Do you have any collections or lates >60days or any recent negatives?  You are looking at some of the tougher CCs to qualify for and you Ex score looks a little weak if they pull it.
Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 2 of 18
Veee
Frequent Contributor

I think I've jumped the gun on this question or maybe just getting ahead of myself.  I'm not applying tomorrow (so to speak) though I would like to by the end of this year.

I have one collection - Midland, who I'm trying to get this to go away.  Providian is the CA and I noticed that EQ doesn't have it listed anymore so I'm hoping that the other two will follow suit and then we can finally get rid of Midland.  No other recent negs and only 1 30/60/90 days late from 2004.

TU is even weaker but I'm hoping with the above removed I'll be in alot better shape for the cards I'm looking at ... nothing else bad on my report.

Miner wrote:
Do you have any collections or lates >60days or any recent negatives?  You are looking at some of the tougher CCs to qualify for and you Ex score looks a little weak if they pull it.

Message 3 of 18
Miner
Frequent Contributor

If your scores are that low with only one old late, then those collections must be recent or you are carrying a high amount of CC debt.  But if the collections go and your scores get up near or past 700, you should be fine.  The likelyhood of them accepting you depends on your person credit history even if your scores are higher.  As to which ones you should get, depends on what you are looking for in a credit card.  Rewards?  Low APR?  Chase, CIti and Discover are all good cards.

Personally, of the cards you are looking at, I'm only looking at the Chase Freedom and the Discover Card so those are the only ones that I've looked into.  I always PIF so I'm only interested in Reward Cards and don't mind a higher APR.  I want the Chase Freedom because I want a good rewards Visa from a top tier Bank.  I currently have no Visa cards and Citi only has MCs that interest me, so Chase is in and Citi is out.  I already have 2 high CL Reward MCs and I don't want another MC.  Discover was my favorite credit card for 13years until they closed it for non payment 5 years ago when I was out of work so I'd like to get one again.

From reading the results of others here who have applied for those 2 cards, scores > 680 is the minimum with over 700 having a much higher chance to obtaining these cards.  Serious negaitves (lates that are 90days or greater), BKs, recent collections, too many inquiries, etc. will likely kill your chances.  All your remaining negatives should be aged.

Message Edited by Miner on 09-27-2008 11:09 PM
Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 4 of 18
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

Unless your scores are 690+ and you are not reporting any unresolved baddies don't bother with Discover. You'll end up being kicked to HSBC and you don't want that. I did get a high CL card from them recently with a score around 700, a bunch of old lates (3+ years, 1 120-day) and a closed account with a balance reporting. None of this was unresolved. If was also reporting another, higher credit line.
Message 5 of 18
score_building
Senior Contributor

consider replacing hsbc w/ a cu card as one of the four you look at before deciding.
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 6 of 18
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

What about an EQ pulling CU? 

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 7 of 18
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Join Penfed and apply for their Cash Back card. They pull Equifax.
Message 8 of 18
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

I'm with Smallfry. With the info provided PenFed is who I'd try first. Grest card and CU. Only pulls EQ. Score is in their approval range. Good average age.
They approved me with a few lates still on my report so maybe that shouldn't matter.
If the info provided is correct the OP would stand a decent chance at approval.

Jax
Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 9 of 18
Veee
Frequent Contributor

Miner wrote:
If your scores are that low with only one old late, then those collections must be recent or you are carrying a high amount of CC debt. 
Midland is the recent that's killing me which I hope to be over in the next couple of months.  I do have high amount on CC (new furniture last month) it will be paid off in the next couple of weeks.

But if the collections go and your scores get up near or past 700, you should be fine.  The likelyhood of them accepting you depends on your person credit history even if your scores are higher.  What exactly do you mean "person" credit history?

As to which ones you should get, depends on what you are looking for in a credit card.  Rewards?  Low APR?  Chase, CIti and Discover are all good cards.  OP, just looking for cash rewards as I'm not a typical CC user and want something back for using the card.

Personally, of the cards you are looking at, I'm only looking at the Chase Freedom and the Discover Card so those are the only ones that I've looked into.  I always PIF so I'm only interested in Reward Cards and don't mind a higher APR.  I want the Chase Freedom because I want a good rewards Visa from a top tier BankDitto but since I have a Visa would like a MC.  I currently have no Visa cards and Citi only has MCs that interest me, so Chase is in and Citi is out.  I already have 2 high CL Reward MCs and I don't want another MC.  Discover was my favorite credit card for 13years until they closed it for non payment 5 years ago when I was out of work so I'd like to get one again.

From reading the results of others here who have applied for those 2 cards, scores > 680 is the minimum with over 700 having a much higher chance to obtaining these cards.  Serious negaitves (lates that are 90days or greater), BKs, recent collections, too many inquiries, etc. will likely kill your chances.  All your remaining negatives should be aged.

Message Edited by Miner on 09-27-2008 11:09 PM

Thank you so much for you input!
Veee

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.