Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card for international students

tag
100down0monthly
New Contributor

Re: Credit card for international students

Perhaps a moderator should step in.  It would seem to me, given the posts above, that longtermgardener and longtimelurker are indeed the same person...which would indicate trolling.

Message 41 of 53
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Well, actually we aren't, sorry!  Similar names, and different point of view from you, but that doesn't make us the same.

But my asking Amex didn't bear fruit.   Their response:

Thank you for taking your valuable time to email us.

In order to assist your friend to the best of her interest, I would request you to provide her with our Apply By Phone Department number.

Our Apply By Phone Department is the right department to analyze the eligibility for applying for an American Express Card.

Message 42 of 53
enharu
Super Contributor

Thanks for taking the time to email Amex.

It's going to be risky to trust what those phone reps say either, so that's not going to be much of any help. 

Anyhow, to OP....you already got the account, there's nothing that can be done about it. Just maintain it in good standing most importantly. Stuff like this don't matter until the account becomes delinquent or during a FR. Then the lender would dig up anything possible they can use to strengthen their case.

And I'm certainly not trying to scare anyone away or trying to argue with anyone here. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 43 of 53
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@100down0monthly wrote:

Perhaps a moderator should step in.  It would seem to me, given the posts above, that longtermgardener and longtimelurker are indeed the same person...which would indicate trolling.

...and I am really you posting as an alias so I can warn myself. Anyone else want any tin foil?

Kind reminder to be friendly.

Message 44 of 53
100down0monthly
New Contributor

@llecs wrote:

@100down0monthly wrote:

...and I am really you posting as an alias so I can warn myself. Anyone else want any tin foil?

Kind reminder to be friendly.

Such professionalism.  Great post well qualified kid...err mod. /sarcasm off

Message 45 of 53
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

monster popcorn.jpg

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 46 of 53
askme3012
New Contributor

I think rather than concentrating on semantics and definitions , why not start with posting what cards u were able to get with F-1 status and what cards u were rejected because they didnt consider you resident.  **cough** **cough** **Barclays**

I remember applying for Wells Fargo bank CC and getting a letter sayind "Denied" Reason " Not a US resident."

But I got US Bank  CC in college and  Discover IT CC without any trouble. What were your experiences?

US Bank Cash+ $18.9K || Discover IT $29.3K || Barclays Arrival $6K || AMEX BCE $50K || Chase Freedom $7K || First Tech CU $12K ||First Tech CU $25K || CSP $25K || BofA Cash Rewards $12K || Citi TYP $12K || IHG Rewards $15K
Starting Score: All CRAs : Started from scratch
Current Score: TU 821 , EQ 816 (Credit Karma) EX FICO 798
Goal Score: All CRAs : 800+

Message 47 of 53
JeffM
Contributor

@askme3012 wrote:

I think rather than concentrating on semantics and definitions , why not start with posting what cards u were able to get with F-1 status and what cards u were rejected because they didnt consider you resident.  **cough** **cough** **Barclays**

I remember applying for Wells Fargo bank CC and getting a letter sayind "Denied" Reason " Not a US resident."

But I got US Bank  CC in college and  Discover IT CC without any trouble. What were your experiences?

That's interesting. Wells Fargo gave me my first card even though I was on F-1 status and it was unsecured to begin with.

Wells Fargo Cash Back - $2400 || Bank of America Cash Rewards - $5000 || Discover IT - $5000 || American Express BCE - $15000

FICO TU - 769
Message 48 of 53
askme3012
New Contributor

yeah, it was weird. They asked for my passport copy which i sent by mail and got the response. 

But, it was just after a month of getting SSN and didnt know whole lot of credit cards. WF representative asked if I want to apply and I said "Sure". I really dont know what they applied for.

US Bank Cash+ $18.9K || Discover IT $29.3K || Barclays Arrival $6K || AMEX BCE $50K || Chase Freedom $7K || First Tech CU $12K ||First Tech CU $25K || CSP $25K || BofA Cash Rewards $12K || Citi TYP $12K || IHG Rewards $15K
Starting Score: All CRAs : Started from scratch
Current Score: TU 821 , EQ 816 (Credit Karma) EX FICO 798
Goal Score: All CRAs : 800+

Message 49 of 53
JeffM
Contributor

@askme3012 wrote:

yeah, it was weird. They asked for my passport copy which i sent by mail and got the response. 

But, it was just after a month of getting SSN and didnt know whole lot of credit cards. WF representative asked if I want to apply and I said "Sure". I really dont know what they applied for.

Interesting. I applied several months after receiving my SSN. I applied in the bank too and was denied (don't remember the reason) but the representative who made me apply  reconed for me (without my knowledge) and had me approved.

Wells Fargo Cash Back - $2400 || Bank of America Cash Rewards - $5000 || Discover IT - $5000 || American Express BCE - $15000

FICO TU - 769
Message 50 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.