Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card hold at gas station

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit card hold at gas station

They're not going to do a hold of you pay inside. It really doesn't work well if you're trying to fill up, like I always do.

If you're concerned about available credit, yes, pay inside. If not, the hold doesn't matter...
Message 31 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not concerned with available credit. I'm just concerned with fraudulent charges and staying on top of my cc bill. It makes it much more difficult when you have multiple pending charges popping up and dropping off.
Message 32 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

How you do it? Do you tell the cashier how much you pay for the gas ?

Message 33 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, they'll charge that amount. Generally, their system will notice if as you were filling up and the amount you prepaid was more than you used, it would refund the difference. Some stations can do that automatically, other stations, you have to go back in the store and ask for the difference returned to your card, or refunded via cash.

It's a lot of extra work for filling up and keeping track of other things. It's easier for me to just pay at the pump. If my card ends up being compromised, and it has, the fix is just a phone call away.
Message 34 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

The reason it there is no hold, is because it is a predetermined amount to be paid for. Whereas, paying at the pump, it does the test pending charge of (usually) $1 to verify the card is an active and usable card. Then when the transaction is done, it communicates the actual amount of the charge and that is what posts to your actual account balance.

Message 35 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have only had this 'hold' issues once on my discover for $75 and thats about it.  I have been to gas stations in 30+ states and never had a pre-authorization hold of any sort on any of my cards.

Message 36 of 60
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

SGTtar, I bet you've had the pre-authorizations and they've disappeared so fast that you missed them. I usually have to be quick to catch mine, but occasionally, they'll hang around for a few hours or overnight.

Message 37 of 60
trant3
Established Contributor

Why is this even a problem? The hold goes away after a few days. For me, with the CSR, the hold is placed as soon as I insert the card but the actual amount then becomes a pending charge once I'm done @ the pump.

FNBO $15k, Aspiration Zero $11k, Affinity FCU $10k, Sofi $15k, Venmo Visa $2.7k, Apple $7k, Citi Custom Cash $14k, Citi Double Cash $15k, Citizens Bank Cash Plus $8k, Chase Amazon $3k, Chase Flex $13.6k, Chase IHG $16k, Amex BCP $9.5k, Amex Hilton $10k, Chase Freedom $26.5k, NFCU Plat $46k, NFCU Cash $33k, Discover IT $29k, Discover Miles $12k, BECU Visa $14k, Wells Fargo Active $6.3k, PenFed Promise $15k, PenFed Gold $20k
Message 38 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@trant3
It's not a problem for us with 20k limits but for some with say a $500 limit and a $400 bal. That $100 hold can have very real unintended consequences. In my experience I have had the hold stick around for 2 or 3 days. Using the above example that card would be maxed out with no ability to make new purchases. I can see why others would be annoyed.
Message 39 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@trant3 wrote:

@Anonymous is this even a problem? The hold goes away after a few days. For me, with the CSR, the hold is placed as soon as I insert the card but the actual amount then becomes a pending charge once I'm done @ the pump.

If it's a high dollar hold like Shell does with me, it could create problems for lower limit cards the poorer among us might have... When I see a $99 hold from Shell on my Platinum, I'm like "Psssh...", but if Joe Sixpack has a $300 card, that's gonna be a hit for him...

Edit: On all of my cards that hold, along with the pending for the actual amout of the fuel purchase, stays on for 3 or so days... I've seen the pre-auth stay on long after the original purchace has cleared!!!

Message 40 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.