Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card magnetic erase

tag
MMB85
Contributor

Credit card magnetic erase

So my company's key card use to be on a lanyard. But the the card broke. So now I can either buy a new one or put the key card in my wallet and use my wallet as a key card. Will that potentially erase my credit cards?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit card magnetic erase

Depends on the keycard.  Some will erase other cards close to it while others will not.  I just stayed at hotel and they specifically warned me that their card will erase others near it.  Also, you need to consider the wallet that you are using.  (Dont make the mistake of buying an eel skin wallet, they look nice but I ended up with a load of bad cards - this was several years ago).

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
NotUsher
Contributor

My cards haven't shown any negative effects from keeping my access card in my wallet. 

Message 3 of 7
MMB85
Contributor

I don't necessarily mean by just keeping it in the wallet but also by just holding the access card up against the door sensor. If there is a card in your wallet between the access card and see Sensor pad, will it erase the card?
Message 4 of 7
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Not much of an issue these days since the magnetic stripe on the back uses high coercivity materials that are pretty hard to erase even with common magnets. Didn't used to be the case.  There are still some antitheft systems that use a high mag flux to inactive sensors at checkout but these are less common now. Eel skin wallets demagging credit cards is an urban myth,

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 5 of 7
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@cashnocredit wrote:

Not much of an issue these days since the magnetic stripe on the back uses high coercivity materials that are pretty hard to erase even with common magnets. Didn't used to be the case.  There are still some antitheft systems that use a high mag flux to inactive sensors at checkout but these are less common now. Eel skin wallets demagging credit cards is an urban myth,

I stick by my wallet of deads cards as there maybe more truth to this than myth.  (of course, it could had been something else but I still blame the slimy eels)

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
john398
Senior Contributor

tou could get one iof those plastic holders that attach to a lanyard

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.