cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card planning? Upgrade to the CSR?

tag
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Credit card planning? Upgrade to the CSR?

Thoughts on actually upgrading from my CSP to CSR? I am 4/24 and will be 3/24 in January (for new app purchases, not upgrade purposes). I do not intend on upgrading until a couple months from now as I still have some MSR to meet on a couple new cards (CIU, BofA Biz Cash).

I don't really have a viable dining card as I have the Discover IT, Capital One Platinum, Uber VISA (RIP nerf), CSP, CIU, and a couple Biz cards. I have 125,000+ UR and I am considering cashing them out via PYB as I do not think I can get much better value than 1.5 for the points. If you think it's possible, please talk me out of it.

CSP AF - $99

For easy math, we'll use 100,000 UR

CSP redemption: 100,000 x .0125 = $1250 

CSR redemption: 100,000 x .0150 = $1500

CSR AF - $550 - $300 travel credit = $250 - $120 Door Dash credit that I would use = $130 - $250 difference in PYB points ($1500-$1250)

CSR has the benefit of 3x dining vs 2x dining. I don't anticipate applying to any dining cards in the near future other than the possible Altitude Reserve but applications are never a for sure thing in this economic climate. Other cards I have on my radar are the WOH and Citibank AA Biz. Possibly the CFF down the road.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
NoHardLimits
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit card planning? Upgrade to the CSR?

Chase Freedom Flex and Chase Freedom Unlimited are 3x URs for dining with no annual fee.  Once you are finished with your current minimum spend requirements on the new cards, you could consider adding CFF or CFU and receive another signup bonus.  You can then combine points with Sapphire Preferred.  If the 1.5x redemption with Pay Yourself Back is still your goal, you could still upgrade CSP to CSR and redeem the signup bonus points from CFU/CFF at 1.5x as well.

March 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, New Revolver
FICO8:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 11 mos | New Accounts: 0/6, 1/12, 2/24 | Util: 2% | DTI: 1%
Message 2 of 20
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@NoHardLimits wrote:

Chase Freedom Flex and Chase Freedom Unlimited are 3x URs for dining with no annual fee.  Once you are finished with your current minimum spend requirements on the new cards, you could consider adding CFF or CFU and receive another signup bonus.  You can then combine points with Sapphire Preferred.  If the 1.5x redemption with Pay Yourself Back is still your goal, you could still upgrade CSP to CSR and redeem the signup bonus points from CFU/CFF at 1.5x as well.

I already have the CIU. Considered CFF but not sure a $200 SUB moves the needle enough.  

Message 3 of 20
NoHardLimits
Frequent Contributor

@randomguy1 wrote:

@NoHardLimits wrote:

I already have the CIU. Considered CFF but not sure a $200 SUB moves the needle enough.  

Understood.  Since you have CIU, those points could also be combined into your Sapphire and then redeemed with Pay Yourself Back.  If your UR balance is 125k, then it makes sense to upgrade from CSP to CSR for the 1.25x vs 1.5x.  Personally, I downgraded my CSR to CFU when the annual fee was increased.  However, spouse also has CSR so I transferred all my points before downgrading.  We are currently using the combined points for 1.5x Pay Yourself Back.

FICO8:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 11 mos | New Accounts: 0/6, 1/12, 2/24 | Util: 2% | DTI: 1%
Message 4 of 20
NoHardLimits
Frequent Contributor

Do you have Ink Cash too?  That has a big signup bonus of $750 now, though the spend requirement is somewhat high ($7500 in 3 months).

FICO8:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
Message 5 of 20
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Maybe I overlooked something, but how old is the CSP?

What I did was PC my CSP to a CFU then I got CSR as a new account. The SUB rules have tightened since then.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 20
NoHardLimits
Frequent Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Maybe I overlooked something, but how old is the CSP?

What I did was PC my CSP to a CFU then I got CSR as a new account. The SUB rules have tightened since then.

That's a good point.  If CSP is over 4 years old, then OP might be eligible for a CSR signup bonus.  OP would also have to product change the CSP to one of the Freedoms prior to applying for CSR since Chase does not allow current Sapphire cardholders to receive a SUB on a second Sapphire card.

FICO8:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
Message 7 of 20
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I was just scrolling down to ask that same question.  If you are eligible for the SUB on CSR, that would be a very easy decision to downgrade CSP to a non-Sapphire product, then apply for a new CSR.

Message 8 of 20
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@randomguy1 wrote:

Thoughts on actually upgrading from my CSP to CSR? I am 4/24 and will be 3/24 in January (for new app purchases, not upgrade purposes). I do not intend on upgrading until a couple months from now as I still have some MSR to meet on a couple new cards (CIU, BofA Biz Cash).

I don't really have a viable dining card as I have the Discover IT, Capital One Platinum, Uber VISA (RIP nerf), CSP, CIU, and a couple Biz cards. I have 125,000+ UR and I am considering cashing them out via PYB as I do not think I can get much better value than 1.5 for the points. If you think it's possible, please talk me out of it.

CSP AF - $99

CSR AF - $550 - $300 travel credit = $250 - $120 Door Dash credit that I would use = $130 - $250 difference in PYB points ($1500-$1250)

CSR has the benefit of 3x dining vs 2x dining. I don't anticipate applying to any dining cards in the near future other than the possible Altitude Reserve but applications are never a for sure thing in this economic climate. Other cards I have on my radar are the WOH and Citibank AA Biz. Possibly the CFF down the road.

Thoughts?

You've received lots of great advice, and I just wanted to point out that while the Altitude Reserve is giving 3x points on dining through the end of the year, that's a temporary benefit and will expire on December 31 unless they decide to extend it. 

After that date dining purchases will be at the 1x rate, so you probably don't want to think of the AR as a 'dining' card when you're making your decision.  (Possibly you're thinking of the new 'Altitude Go', which gives 4x on dining.)

Message 9 of 20
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@randomguy1 wrote:

CSP AF - $99

Thoughts?

You've received lots of great advice, and I just wanted to point out that while the Altitude Reserve is giving 3x points on dining through the end of the year, that's a temporary benefit and will expire on December 31 unless they decide to extend it. 

After that date dining purchases will be at the 1x rate, so you probably don't want to think of the AR as a 'dining' card when you're making your decision.  (Possibly you're thinking of the new 'Altitude Go', which gives 4x on dining.)

good catch, thanks Unc!

as for the CSP, it's a little over a year old so I'm not eligible for any bonuses. 

Ink Cash the MSR is a little high rn as I've made most of my large purchases for the rest of the née year. Besides, I last applied at the beginning of October for the CIU. The velocity is a bit faster than I like.  

Good ideas though. 

Is getting more than 1.5 CPP difficult rn?

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.