Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card shuffle and BT advice

tag
glamchick
Established Contributor

Re: Credit card shuffle and BT advice

Penfed is my highest card all other cards have low credit limits.  So i thought I should tranfer to that card so my UTI stays low.  Is that what you were asking?

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 11 of 14
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@glamchick wrote:

I just don't want to set off any alarms and get accounts closed or CL's lowered. 

They're not going to take adverse action from paying them which is what a BT is to them.  They will take adverse action if your credit reports indicate risky activity that exceeds their risk tolerance which can vary from one creditor to another.  Negative payment history & other derogs, high revolving utilization, excessive credit seeking activity for your credit profile and excessive new accounts for your credit profile are examples of things that can lead ot adverse action.

@glamchick wrote:

I wasn't sure how often I could do a BT?

Always read the terms for answers to such questions.  0% offers are usually limited offers.

Also keep in mind that when you're carrying a balance you lose your grace period with most cards.  Don't use a card for new purchases if you're carrying on a 0% offer unless that offer is also for 0% on purchases.  Otherwise new purchases will immediately begin accruing interest.

@glamchick wrote:

Is there anything wrong with doing this other than the small fee of transferring?

It's not simply a matter of right or wrong.  Compare what you'd pay for the fee versus the interest you'd pay if you didn't perform the balance transfer for the amount of time tha t it would take you to pay off your revolving debt.  Do your due diligence.  There are online interest calculators that you can use to help you make your decision.

Message 12 of 14
glamchick
Established Contributor

takeshi74 - this is very very good information.  Thank you so much for taking the time to explain that to me!!  I am going to do some research before transferring balances to see what would works best so Im not losing money in the end.

Im not sure if PENFED is 0% interest on charges as well as BT's.   I will find out...

Thanks again!!  Hope you have a great week!

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long were you going to take to pay $1800 off if you had not gotten PENFED? if its just several months, the 54 bux is more than even a store card's 29.99%. Ive ffound that around $1,200 it's not worth it to me to transfer balance unless i wanted to close the card. If you had 3 or 4 cards around a grand by all means streamline your operation.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.