cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card suggestions before gardening for seven months?

tag
ERoosky99
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit card suggestions before gardening for seven months?

@FinStar wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@ERoosky99 wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Why do you think you need another line. You have 5 cards. It doesnt appear you NEED another. I'd just get in the garden now...let your scores come up a little, and in 7 months you can app to your hearts content. 

You're probably right!  I'm just anxious and impatient about receiving a PRIME credit card.

Well you're not going to get a prime card now most likely, however, if you're patient, and garden, you'll be able to get your prime cards. Constant apping for subprime cards will not help in your search for a prime card. 

Totally agree.  Don't just go looking for something you don't need.  This isn't a race and "gardening" isn't that bad at all.  This gives your file ample time to age those TLs and eventually score something better.  Keep in mind that credit scores only play one fraction of the entire picture to get approved.

My goal isn't to app for cards I don't need; rather, to obtain positive trade lines that can age along with my existing accounts.  What other fractions are considered besides the credit score?  I know income is a factor, but I am wondering if there are others that I'm not aware of?

Current FICOs: (11-02-15) EQ- 623 (628) / EX- 643 / TU- 679
Starting FICOs: (May 2014) Low to mid 500s (all 3 bureaus)
GOAL: As HIGH as possible! All 3 FICOs above 680/700 will be NICE!!!
Total Credit Limits- $104,120
Message 11 of 41
ERoosky99
Regular Contributor

@ERoosky99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ERoosky99 wrote:

I have two Capital One credit cards (unsecured), two retail cards, and one secured credit card.

I know I should garden for several months, but I really think I need to add another line of credit beforehand.

Current FICOs: TU 647, EX 613, and EQ 621.

Any approval suggestions based on my profile?

I can't afford to waste a hard pull, and the "shopping cart trick" HAS NOT worked for me.
Thanks in advance!

Get the Barclays NFL Visa... http://www.creditcards.org/nfl-credit-cards/nfl-extra-points-credit-card--4 .....OR The Discover iT Students.... http://www.creditcards.org/discover/discover-it-for-students-with-20-cashback-bonus ........YEAH ! Smiley Tongue

Barclays denied me on August 20th when I app'ed for their Rewards MasterCard.  My logic is, they'll probably deny me the NFL Visa as well???  I have been considering the Discover It card, but can I apply for the Student version although I graduated from college May 2014?  I'm not currently enrolled...

Thanks for introducing me to this creditcards.org website also.  I've never been there before.  I've been reading about people app'ing for the Discover It card and getting denied, but being offered a secured version of the card.  That is also incentive for me to app to get my foot in the door.  The downside being that not everyone gets the secured card offer which sucks...

Message 12 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ERoosky99 wrote:

I have two Capital One credit cards (unsecured), two retail cards, and one secured credit card.

I know I should garden for several months, but I really think I need to add another line of credit beforehand.

I can't afford to waste a hard pull, and the "shopping cart trick" HAS NOT worked for me.
Thanks in advance!

The elephant in the room here....

How is your utilization on all your cards?

Limits?

Collections?

Your scores are VERY borderline even for so-so cards.

Message 13 of 41
ERoosky99
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ERoosky99 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Limits?

Collections?

Utilization is at 2%.

Limits total just over $2,000 for all cards - which I know is limited and why I want to obtain more credit.

1 unpaid medical collection; no others.

Message 14 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ERoosky99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ERoosky99 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Limits?

Collections?

Utilization is at 2%.

Limits total just over $2,000 for all cards - which I know is limited and why I want to obtain more credit.

I'm kinda surprised at your FICO's being that low for that kinda profile....What is your Average age of accounts?

Message 15 of 41
ERoosky99
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ERoosky99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ERoosky99 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Limits?

Collections?

Utilization is at 2%.

I'm kinda surprised at your FICO's being that low for that kinda profile....What is your Average age of accounts?

Well, I JUST opened my first credit card in May 2014 (after not having credit cards for 10 years), so the AAoA is only five months...

Message 16 of 41
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@ERoosky99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ERoosky99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ERoosky99 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Limits?

Collections?

Utilization is at 2%.

Well, I JUST opened my first credit card in May 2014 (after not having credit cards for 10 years), so the AAoA is only five months...

Exactly why ya need to sit in the garden for a while. Even if you were to get approved for a card now, it will have a low limit. Honestly, a few months in the garden isn't that terrible, and you'll be really happy you did it when you're ready to app. 

Message 17 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:

@ERoosky99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ERoosky99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ERoosky99 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Limits?

Collections?

Utilization is at 2%.

Exactly why ya need to sit in the garden for a while. Even if you were to get approved for a card now, it will have a low limit. Honestly, a few months in the garden isn't that terrible, and you'll be really happy you did it when you're ready to app. 

Pretty much what i was going to say..

Work up some good payment history with the cards you have now and see how your scores fare.

Message 18 of 41
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@ERoosky99 wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@ERoosky99 wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Why do you think you need another line. You have 5 cards. It doesnt appear you NEED another. I'd just get in the garden now...let your scores come up a little, and in 7 months you can app to your hearts content. 

You're probably right!  I'm just anxious and impatient about receiving a PRIME credit card.

Well you're not going to get a prime card now most likely, however, if you're patient, and garden, you'll be able to get your prime cards. Constant apping for subprime cards will not help in your search for a prime card. 

I have a total of 5 inquiries on TU, 3 on EX, and 3 on EQ.  I need to occupy my time another way besides obsessing over credit scores...

Put a security freeze on your credit. Go and opt out of prescreen for at least 6 months.

Pay all cards in full, and do not let more than 10% of your available credit report on the statements.

Garden for 6 months. Do not apply for anything right now.

Message 19 of 41
ERoosky99
Regular Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@ERoosky99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ERoosky99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ERoosky99 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Limits?

Collections?

Utilization is at 2%.

UGH!!!  I know you're right and that's why I'm annoyed, LOL!  I was just thinking even with another toy limit I can get a CLI in a few months.  I'm going to resist the temptation to app now and just make sure I pay these bills on time, and keep my utilization low.

Message 20 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.