Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card suggestions in 2021

tag
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Credit card suggestions in 2021

Within ~1-2 months, I may be in the market for ~1-2 credit cards. The preference is cashback but can consider also MR (reasonable AF). Here are my current card arrangements: 

• Grocery: ~3-5% (Freedom, Discover, BOA Cash Rewards, AMEX Gold).
  • Dining: 4% (USBank Altitude Go).
  • Online shopping: 3% (BOA Cash Rewards).
  • Phone/Internet: 5% (USBank Cash+).
  • Amazon: 5% (Chase Amazon).
  • Walmart: 5% (Walmart).
  • Gas: No need (have EV). 

Chase CSP has ~80k intro offer and it is my first option. Is there any other suggestion?

USALLIANCE Visa Signature gives 3% cahsback on every purchase. Is this card reliable (not issued by large banks)? Is there any other similar card?

Also, what is the best credit card for shopping at Costco? The Citi Costco card gives only 2% cashback.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit card suggestions in 2021

If you have the executive membership at Costco it's 4% total between Costco bonus and citi bonus, the one I know of is discover but since Costco only takes visa you can't use it there for Costco the visa is the best option that I know of

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like the AOD FCU VISA Signature is what you're looking for. 3% cash back on all purchases, automatically redeemed each month, APR as low as 7.49%, and a great Costco card too. 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/AOD-Visa-Siggy-Discussion-Thread/m-p/6005027#M1718074

Message 3 of 12
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

USALLIANCE Visa Signature gives 3% cahsback on every purchase. Is this card reliable (not issued by large banks)? Is there any other similar card?

The USAlliance is only a temp 3% card.

Those of us that got it last year lost the 3% ~ 10 months later.

For some reason, closures, complaints, many just using card less, they re-activated the 3% however this time said that it would stop at end of this year.

I would say the AOD is a superior option for a 3% card.

Only half a year at 3% left.

Message 4 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

Within ~1-2 months, I may be in the market for ~1-2 credit cards. The preference is cashback but can consider also MR (reasonable AF). Here are my current card arrangements: 

Chase CSP has ~80k intro offer and it is my first option. Is there any other suggestion?

Also, what is the best credit card for shopping at Costco? The Citi Costco card gives only 2% cashback.

I can't see what advantage you will gain by adding more cashback-type cards. 

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 12
Andypanda
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you have the executive membership at Costco it's 4% total between Costco bonus and citi bonus, the one I know of is discover but since Costco only takes visa you can't use it there for Costco the visa is the best option that I know of

If you disco or chase freedom flex for the 5% categories, you can use them on costco.com for Costco gift cards, and use the gift cards at the physical store. That way you can get $3,000 at 5%, plus the 2% executive cb.

Message 6 of 12
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

I go for Chase CSP + AOD (3% cashback).

I plan to get executive membership of Costco to use its 2% offer. If the credit score would not become too low after opening the two cards above, I may apply also for the Citi Costco card (not a fan of gift cards for purchases, the difference is 1%).

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's way too much work to buy a gift card online then have to take it to the store a bunch of bs over a couple percent, I still don't know why they won't take anything but visa must have some kind of contract, it also doesn't help the 9 months of the year it's not in the rotating category, it's also funny in Canada it's MasterCard only and issued by capital one, one reason I prefer sams you can use anything there

Message 8 of 12
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Costco does not pay the normal merchant/interchange rates if i recall.. but it comes at the cost of only accepting one network...

Message 9 of 12
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

If your entertainment spending (i.e. movies, sports events, concerts, etc.) is not insignificant during "normal" times, I recommend considering the Elan Financial Services Max Cash Preferred Visa/Mastercard (processing network depends on the bank "issuing" the card), which provides 5% rewards on entertainment spending, or the Capital One SavorOne Mastercard, which has 3% rewards on entertainment spending.  Both cards are no annual fee cards.  (There is also the Capital One Savor Mastercard, which has an annual fee but provides 4% rewards on entertainment as well as dining.)  The entertainment category is one of the primary differences between the Elan Max Cash Preferred Visa/Mastercard and its similar "cousin" card, the US Bank Cash+ Visa (the latter of which has only a partial 5% rewards entertainment category).

Playing the credit card rewards game since early May 2020.

Current credit cards:
American Express: Hilton Honors
Bank of America: Customized Cash Rewards Visa
Capital One: SavorOne MC
Chase: Amazon Visa, Freedom Unlimited Visa, Freedom Flex MC
Citi: Sears/ThankYou Rewards MC, My Best Buy Visa, Custom Cash MC
Comenity: AAA Travel Advantage Visa
Discover: Cash It
Elan: S&T Bank Max Cash Preferred Visa
FNBO: Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum MC
PSECU: Founder's Visa
U.S. Bank: Cash+ Visa
Wells Fargo: Autograph Visa
Store cards: Kohl's

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.