Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card to help rebuild credit

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Credit card to help rebuild credit

In my view, I think secured cards are amongst the best ways to build or rebuild credit.

Try Wells Fargo, B of A, or US Bank to see if they'll approve a secured card.  If not, then I'm sure Capital One or Orchard would approve a secured card.  In about 6 months, I'd apply for an unsecured card such as BBRZ, store card, and/or Cap One or Orchard unsecured.

Message 11 of 14
mtva24
Valued Member

I would say First Premier unsecure and Orchard Bank secure are the best options now while her score is so low. 

As of 2/13/2012: Experian - 633; Equifax - 616; Transunion - 644 FAKOs
First Premier Gold - $350; First Premier Platinum - $400
Orchad Bank - $200 (Secured)
Crap One - $500
Navy FCU - $5,000
Wells Fargo Mortgage (w. Wife $150,000 bal) & Auto ($12,000 bal)

Credit Keeper FAKOs
Experian - 633
Equifax - 616
Transunion - 644

Using 81% of my limits (Thanks NavyFCU!)
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would stay away from First Premier unless you have money to burn.  They will suck the cash right out of your pockets, and can burn the heck out of your FICO score if you don't stay on top of all the constantly accruing fees.  If you are not a budget and bill-paying whiz they are highly problematic.

Message 13 of 14
vish1
Valued Contributor

I would recommend a secured card from a local CU or BofA / WF. WF is pretty low on AF and you may find a local CU which has a low AF or no AF secured card. For example Digital Federal in MA/NH has a secure with no AF and about 9% APR

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.