cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card with tiny credit line. Can I have it deleted?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit card with tiny credit line. Can I have it deleted?

I have a newer card (already active and used) that I might not want anymore because of the CL is very low. They would not give me a CLI. What are the chances if I ask this bank to cancel and delete/remove from CRAs? The card does nothing except lower my average age.
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit card with tiny credit line. Can I have it deleted?

ilovepizza wrote:
I have a newer card (already active and used) that I might not want anymore because of the CL is very low. They would not give me a CLI. What are the chances if I ask this bank to cancel and delete/remove from CRAs? The card does nothing except lower my average age.

You know that old saying "You break it you buy it?"  You applied, accepted, and now it's all yours  Smiley Wink
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

sincitykitty wrote:

ilovepizza wrote:

You know that old saying "You break it you buy it?"  You applied, accepted, and now it's all yours  Smiley Wink

I have one that I received, activated before really thinking about it, then called and closed it without ever using it. Found out it will remain for 10 yrs on CR. If anyone comes up with a way to get it removed, I would like to know, but I think we are just out of luck.
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You know that old saying "You break it you buy it?" You applied, accepted, and now it's all yours Smiley Wink

This is where my unhappiness with the "system" comes into play.

Yes they applied, but where do you have the chance to accept or deny? Once they approve you, you are bound to the terms the CCC offers. There should be a system in place that allows US the CONSUMERS to reject an offer if it is not to our satisfaction.

Once I get off my lazy butt I plan on writing a letter to the Senate Sub-Committee for Finance expressing the need for such a system as the current one is blatantly anti consumer.
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes they applied, but where do you have the chance to accept or deny? Once they approve you, you are bound to the terms the CCC offers. There should be a system in place that allows US the CONSUMERS to reject an offer if it is not to our satisfaction.

Once I get off my lazy butt I plan on writing a letter to the Senate Sub-Committee for Finance expressing the need for such a system as the current one is blatantly anti consumer.

Actually I have been able to easily remove non activated accounts. Not activated, non existent after 90 days in many cases and then you can ask the lender for it to be removed from your CR. I got giddy and activated the card figuring I could get a CLI. They not only said no to the CLI but gave me a credit line that I would easily max out each time. But then I used the card to compound it even more. I only want it canceled on the grounds that it will be deleted. Seeking opinions.

PS. While you can reject a non activated account you are stuck with the inquiry.

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 08-27-2007 05:34 PM
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You know that old saying "You break it you buy it?" You applied, accepted, and now it's all yours Smiley Wink

You have the chance before activation.  Simply call and say I changed my little mind    Smiley Surprised
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was it a WalMart or Dillards card?  GEMB is getting really strange. I got an approval on a Dillards store card for a lousy 200.00.  I'm like what?  Figured it  would take an extra trip to buy what I needed, going home making a payment then going back.  Well it didn't quite work like that.  Bought perfume and cologne for my son.  Came home made online payment for just over 100.00 but avail credit never increased.  Called and was told they were putting a 21 day hold on that payment.  Did I mention i was electronic payment?  Paid of the few dollars left and told them 'Closed by consumer'.

I dont even think 21 days is legal.  Made me so mad I closed my Wally world card too.  Had that one for two years and the limit is still only 590.00. PIF before statement date or small balance once in a while. No more GEMB cards for me. 

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Prime bank card. It has future potential of getting a CLI every 6 months. I applied thinking it was owned by a different bank but they co-branded it with an issuer I already had. Since I had other accounts they didn't want to offer me more credit. If I get it deleted my average of accounts become 8 months older. My avg age is currently 6 yrs. Wonder if it would make a difference or if I should forget it and worry about other things?
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

ilovepizza wrote:
Prime bank card. It has future potential of getting a CLI every 6 months. I applied thinking it was owned by a different bank but they co-branded it with an issuer I already had. Since I had other accounts they didn't want to offer me more credit. If I get it deleted my average of accounts become 8 months older. My avg age is currently 6 yrs. Wonder if it would make a difference or if I should forget it and worry about other things?

Oh I see.... Have the same problem myself with HSBC.  Have the regular MasterCard and app'd for the BB MC.  Got a tiny limit but guess I should have been glad to get it at all seeing I have a BK that is not quite 7 yrs old and have heard of denials for this card as long as its on record.

Glad I kept mine though because it allowed my to close Wally World without much damage to my score.

You probably can close it and request to have it removed since you never activated it but I would at least call the CB to find out first.  If it will stay there ayway may as well keep it.

Not sure 8 months will make too much diference as at over 9 years I still get the credit history is too short message.

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You have the chance before activation. Simply call and say I changed my little mind Smiley Surprised

Incorrect. If you call and simply say you changed your mind they will simply close the account, not remove the TL from your credit report. The second you are approved you're pretty much stuck with the TL.

Activating is merely saying you received the card. Whether you activate or not, the account is still open.

Message Edited by db23 on 08-28-2007 09:09 AM
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.