Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit cards and loan forgiveness during times of hardship

tag
thegrapelady
Contributor

Credit cards and loan forgiveness during times of hardship

I am not exactly sure what to call the title of this post. I posted a few months ago seeking advice, knowing that this time would be coming and I would be short on money for a few months. I sought the advice, cut my spending by a lot, canceled some services, stuck to a very strict budget, and have been making as much money as possible on the side. Thank you all for the advice and ideas! As a result, I haven't had to default on any payments as soon as expected, but now am at the point where I can't pay all my bills and am in the 0-30 day late period for a few accounts. Actually between 1-10 days late. I sent a letter to all of the lenders a month ago, letting them know of my hardship, explaining that I am in no way trying to get out of paying, and asking if there was any way they could work with me. Most wrote back and said my account was not late at the time so they couldn't do anything while it was in a good state. Some even said they won't work with consumers on their credit issues. I can keep up with some cards, but not the larger ones right now. The interest is what is killing me the most and it just keeps adding up. The reason for suddenly being so behind with money is my spouse has been having medical issues, can't currently work (but is taking care of the kids thankfully), we've had unexpected medical bills, and some unexpected home repairs we needed to make. I've had to rely on credit cards for a bit to get by. I have stock vesting in late June which will allow me to become current on all accounts, but by then they will be in 30-60 day and I think one might be in 60-90 day late. Does anyone have any advice or key words to use when calling these creditors and explaining once again this time of hardship. Anything I shouldn't say or reveal? I've been making some payments still, just not the minimum. Is this advised? Or does this even do any good? I was just trying to show a good faith effort. Also, is it best to call, send a letter, or send an email? So far I've done all three. The crediors I am late with are:

-Lending Club (20k loan, balance is about 8k, never late until now)

-Prosper (7k loan, balance about 5k, I never late until now, and I plan to just pay this off in full in July)

-Citibank credit card (21k limit, it is now at the limit due to the interest fees), I've had this card since 2011 and have never been late.
-USBank credit card (14k limit, also at limit due to interest and late fees), I've had this since 2013 and never have been late.

-Sympony bank - 5k with 6k limit. (this one I should be able to pay the minimum before it reaches 30 days late).

All other cards and mortgage are in a good state, but a bit high usage unfortunately(discover, amex, chase, boa I can at least make the minumum and should be able to). 

I have seriously considered a debt consolidation company, but per the advice of everyone on here I decided to just try and do this myself. I'd love any words of advice when speaking with creditors. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit cards and loan forgiveness during times of hardship

moving to main CC forum
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.