cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit denied - I don't even want credit. What should I do?

tag
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit denied - I don't even want credit. What should I do?

@Anonymous wrote:

@-Wade- wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm a 21 year old with not too much credit history due to age. But I do have money and that is no issue. I've been recently denied a few credit cards that I applied. I don't even want "credit" per se. I just like the 2% back in mileage and the welcome offers of 40k-50k mileage on those cards. 

Obviously credit card companies deny you a card because they think you can't pay. To be honest I'd be fine with 0 credit. I would just deposit into the credit account anyway and spend my deposit.

Surly there's got to be a way of communicating this to the credit card people?

And before anyone suggest a secured credit card -- They don't have bonuses! That's all I care about.

My credit score is 770/750/710 for the reference.

How many TL's do you have on your reports ? Also what types ??

7x active Credit Card, 1x closed student loan

All in perfect standing, never missed/late payments

hummm, Are you using your cards? Also what does your total cl's to income look like (just % ) ?

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 11 of 35
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

You have to start with some kind of credit card to show payment history. For some reason they don't want to take our word for it. Bank of America has a rewards secured credit card. FYI I had to start with a $300 Cap1 card 3 1/2 years ago. Not because I wanted to start from the bottom but that's whats required to gain trust with credit card companies. Good Luck!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 12 of 35
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@-Wade- wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm a 21 year old with not too much credit history due to age. But I do have money and that is no issue. I've been recently denied a few credit cards that I applied. I don't even want "credit" per se. I just like the 2% back in mileage and the welcome offers of 40k-50k mileage on those cards. 

Obviously credit card companies deny you a card because they think you can't pay. To be honest I'd be fine with 0 credit. I would just deposit into the credit account anyway and spend my deposit.

Surly there's got to be a way of communicating this to the credit card people?

And before anyone suggest a secured credit card -- They don't have bonuses! That's all I care about.

My credit score is 770/750/710 for the reference.

How many TL's do you have on your reports ? Also what types ??

7x active Credit Card, 1x closed student loan

All in perfect standing, never missed/late payments

Have you tried to product change one of your accounts to one with a rewards structure that benefits you?

NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 13 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JediNeo wrote:

Have you tried to product change one of your accounts to one with a rewards structure that benefits you?

No. I didn't think it was possible, I thought I'd just apply for new credit cards with my prefered reward structures. Didn't go too well and I'm quite surprised.

Message 14 of 35
GlocksAndCredit
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@JediNeo wrote:

No. I didn't think it was possible, I thought I'd just apply for new credit cards with my prefered reward structures. Didn't go too well and I'm quite surprised.

OK - Which cards do you have? We can help if we know potentially.............

CSP $9500, CapitalOne VentureOne Sig Visa $8000 Chase Freedom Sig Visa $5000, Citi ThankYou Preferred Sig Visa $5000, Amazon Store Card $5000, Discover IT $4800, CapitalOne Quick Silver MasterCard $4000, Fidelity AMEX $4000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $3300, Hilton Honors Sig Visa $3300, Citi Double Cash $2700, SunTrust Cash Rewards $2500, Citi Simplicity Visa $2300, AMEX BCE $2000, AMEX Everyday $2000, AMEX Delta SkyMiles $2000, Amazon Reward Visa $1800, BP VIsa $1800, Barclays Apple Visa $1700, Suncoast FCU $1000, Target REDCard $900

Current Scores: EQ 727 (Fico), EX 735 (Fico) **In the Garden unti....forever.
Message 15 of 35
js0319
Established Contributor

If you prefer to use your own cash, find a secured card with whatever rewards structure you want, and secure it with however much you think you may spend in a month on that card. I had a secured card a few years ago through a CU that had a $2.5k limit and rewards.

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 16 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

At the moment all I'm asking for is a card with no foreign transaction fees and at least 1.5% in rewards. If you know of a secured card that has that then my problem is solved!

Message 17 of 35
TheFate
Established Contributor

Secured cards don't offer Cash back but what you could do is try for the Quicksilver from Capital One.

Sounds to me like you're getting denied because you either have too many INQ's and/or too many new accounts. If you just let those age another 6-12 months you shouldn't have a problem getting a prime card

Message 18 of 35
newhis
Valued Contributor

@TheFate wrote:

Secured cards don't offer Cash back but what you could do is try for the Quicksilver from Capital One.

Sounds to me like you're getting denied because you either have too many INQ's and/or too many new accounts. If you just let those age another 6-12 months you shouldn't have a problem getting a prime card

I have BoA Cash Rewards secured card and a savings account, so I get 3.3% in gas, 2.2% groceries and 1.1% the rest.

Message 19 of 35
brian71
Established Member

Capital One Venture Rewards? No foreign transaction fee and 2 miles per $1 spent. 40,000 mile bonus after 3k spend in the first 3 months.Any airline,any hotel,and no blackout dates.Points don't expire. Cap one is probably my least favorite of all the CC issuers but just a thought.

Also not sure what reward structure you are looking for but have you considered an AMEX charge card? The Platinum does not have a foreign transaction fee but it has a $450 annual fee and it is not waived the first year.With a sign up bonus of 25,000k MR points and the $200 airline credit that you could use now and then again as of January 1,2015 it would more than pay for itself for the first year.

AMEX charge cards are usually easier for people to qualify for and get their foot in the door.If approved for the AMEX charge you could immediately apply and try to get a revolver at the same time.If not approved for the revolver you can try again 6-12 months down the road after some usage on the charge card. One big plus with AMEX is if you are a cardmember it is always a soft pull if denied and only a hard pull if the application is approved.

One other positive if you get an AMEX is any cards opened in the future will have the same open date as your original card.Can be a big plus to average age of accounts.

Damn I am long winded sorry about that.

Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.