Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit limit decrease

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit limit decrease

GHelp!!! 3 years ago, I co-signed on a car for my daughter (stupid me). I had 100% on time payments and then my daughter stopped paying and my credit score has dropped over 100 points. Now all of my credit card companies have decreased my credit limit. Amex, Discover, even Sam's Club. Is there anything I can do? I'm sick about this.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit limit decrease

Your options are limited,  Some may increase it back if you call.

You might have to pay the loan off in exchange to have it removed from your report.

I personally don't take responsibility for my family and their actions, I do however protect my interests even if I have done something like co-sign on a loan for them.  Of course I won't co-sign, but I might loan them a card I have and monitor it so that I know what is up.  If I loan a card to a family member I set limits on what they can spend, even if it means I tell them the limit is 1/10th of what it truly is.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 2 of 16
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

GHelp!!! 3 years ago, I co-signed on a car for my daughter (stupid me). I had 100% on time payments and then my daughter stopped paying and my credit score has dropped over 100 points. Now all of my credit card companies have decreased my credit limit. Amex, Discover, even Sam's Club. Is there anything I can do? I'm sick about this.

What is the status of your daughters account. Is it paid or current? 

I would contact each of the credit card companies and ask for reconsideration and explain it was your daughter's account. If its current or paid then that would be in your favor.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 3 of 16
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Reasons I decline to co sign for anyone other then DW... (my baby is in the oven) so I got time till she comes out to ruin my Credit Smiley Happy.

Also I do what tigger does, on my NFCU I lent my mom due to the fact she only had MC and no Visa for Costco I put the limit at $700 told her to PIF, till I closed it Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ugh she stopped paying in October. I'm pretty sure they will take the car. I currently have two car payments of my own so I couldn't afford to pay her note. I paid a few and didn't let her know but i couldn't pay anymore. It was almost $600 note.
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't think there's much you can do other than paying off the loan and hoping your credit can rebound.
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

So sorry to hear. I would first work on trying to get her payments straigtned out so they don't take the car and you have a repo on your credit. This really sucks, I know from experience with my 23yr old daughter...but I just couldn't tell her no...now I have to work through it making sure she makes all of her payments on time. Luckily I caught it before it wnet 30 days late. Good luck to you...

Message 7 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

This unfortunately is why its best not to cosign for someone because no matter how much said person gaurentees they'll make the payments, when you're not 100% responsible for an account, there is nothing holding said person from upholding their responsibilty. Sorry to hear OP, best advice was and is perhaps is to call your ceditors to explain your situation. Hope it works out for youSmiley Happy
Message 8 of 16
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Op I would try to get control over that loan asap whether it be to try to sell it for pay off or whatever bc once they repo it , your lenders may completely close out your accts with a repo on your history that is new
Message 9 of 16
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

And, Gforbid, daughter is still driving the car. If yes, take possession of it immediately and like everyone else said, first call lender who auto is with, then call all your other creditors and explain. Good luck.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.