Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit limit transfer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit limit transfer

I have 3 American Express cards.  Due to new airline rules, I have no intention to fly Delta again so I want to transfer my credit line to my clear card.  Does transferring the credit limit and leaving a 500 limit on the Delta card effect my score negatively? I guess my concern is, does Fico see that as a credit limit decrease? 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit limit transfer

The decrease would have no bearing on your FICO score unless it in some way caused you to cross a utilization threshold on that card. Nothing to worry about otherwise. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I pay them off monthly, so I don't owe anything in any of the cards.  I appreciate the help.

Message 3 of 10
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

Can I ask what airline changes is causing you to change products ?

Here I was looking at getting the Gold or Plat Delta Amex...

I fly Delta 100% of the time for domestic, and will fly their alliance airlines internationally.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's all the political drama 

Message 5 of 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Amex is an example of a lender that looks at the limit of your other cards. They're not the only one. If it's your only $500 limit card after the transfer, it can be a detriment when applying for credit or limit increases in the future.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Way back when I first got the card, I accidentally applied for the clear card when I wanted the blue card. So I originally transferred the credit limit from the clear card to the blue card and it has remained at a $500 credit limit since then, that's been about five years ago. I do use that card though to keep it active.   The clear card is my only card that has a low credit limit, Basically I guess I would just be swapping the status of the clear card with the Delta card and still have one with a $500 limit.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe it's best that I just work on building up that limit as well?  I haven't requested an increase on that card in the last five years

Message 8 of 10
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe it's best that I just work on building up that limit as well?  I haven't requested an increase on that card in the last five years

Since AMEX only allows for 1 approved CLI every 181 days, the most prudent course of action would be to focus your efforts on a larger limit card and request 3X the current amount (provided it does not take that individual limit over $35,000.) If approved for a large increase than you could once again move limits around to accommodate your other AMEX cards, as they allow you to move them once per 30 days. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like a plan, thank you.  

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.