Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit limit versus AAoA

tag
tristan75

Credit limit versus AAoA

Hello all,

I have been working to pay down credit card debt to get to sub 10% utilization.  I was down to 20% then the comenity blue Nile card decided to discontinue itself taking 14k of my total credit limit and 0 balance with it pushing me back above 30%.  I went a little silly today and got a Discover it for 5k limit, Apple Card for 9k, evergreen for 7.5k and citi custom cash for 10k.  Now I will be quite close to 10% but my AAoA is going to nosedive.  NASA credit union has a pre qualify offer at 15k that I didn't pull the trigger on.  I have enough spend to keep them all active but not increase overall debt.  Is my risk of opening any more too high here and I should just garden with that I have?  I already had a chase preferred, Amex platinum and pnc rewards card as my core cards.  I also have an Amex Marriott card.  I appreciate any advice thank you

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Credit limit versus AAoA

What's your AAoA at right now?

And yes, I'd garden what you had/just acquired. 4 cards in this economic climate is quite a bit, IMO.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 5
NRB525
Super Contributor

Congrats on all the new cards. You have some good earning categories there. 
Yes, the new cards penalty will hold back your score, so that offsets much of the score gain from utilization improvement. 

The NASA card doesn't provide any unique rewards, and with all the other new cards, it seems to me it is time to work on ensuring you can properly manage a larger wallet. 

More importantly, with the Discover, Apple, and Citi cards, you now have a long runway of SP CLI, once you build up history with each card. Even asking for a HP to increase the CSP in a year will be helpful in the long run. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 5
bigseegar
Established Contributor

@tristan75 wrote:

Hello all,

I have been working to pay down credit card debt to get to sub 10% utilization.  I was down to 20% then the comenity blue Nile card decided to discontinue itself taking 14k of my total credit limit and 0 balance with it pushing me back above 30%.  I went a little silly today and got a Discover it for 5k limit, Apple Card for 9k, evergreen for 7.5k and citi custom cash for 10k.  Now I will be quite close to 10% but my AAoA is going to nosedive.  NASA credit union has a pre qualify offer at 15k that I didn't pull the trigger on.  I have enough spend to keep them all active but not increase overall debt.  Is my risk of opening any more too high here and I should just garden with that I have?  I already had a chase preferred, Amex platinum and pnc rewards card as my core cards.  I also have an Amex Marriott card.  I appreciate any advice thank you

YES, you for sure need to garden for at least 6 months and better yet 12 months after 4 cards at one pop. I did the same 3 months ago (and have been growing tomatoes every since) and wish now I hadn't. Besides my AAoA dropping my FICO's also dropped by almost 50 pts as well. But they have since recovered about 30 of those points.

Message 4 of 5
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

Yes you should avoid any new cards for a minimum of 6 months.

Aggregate utilization is only part of the algorithm. Individual card utilization is also very important. Opening new cards does not help with that.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.