Did you mean: 

Credit one bank Amex

tag
sladesurfer
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit one bank Amex

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Makes me think they’ve contracted to use the Amex payment network so they can put the Amex square on the card and try to ball that way. I’d figure it’s that rather than a co-card with Amex, kind of in the same vein as the Macy’s Amex. It’s not Amex, it just uses the Amex network.

Which means they can now charge Amex swipe fees rather than the lower MC/Visa! lol

Gotta hand it to them really, it's just another way for them to make even more Money on subprime borrowers. 

On the positive side, now those borrowers can have an Amex in their wallet to make it look like they have better credit than they actually do. 

Though it's still  not as Eye catching as a real Amex card like Gold, Plat etc. Those people notices, but the little AmEX blue square?

I am a bit surprised by this, out of all CCC they could partnered with. Credit 1 would have never even popped to mind.

Amex is kinda like a subprime lender....I got approved for a Platinum card with a 660 score and i know people who got approve for amex cards below 700 score.

PenFed Power Cash Rewards
Penfed Gold
NFCU Amex More Rewards
NFCU Cash Rewards
NFCU Flagship
Goldman Sachs Apple Card
Chase IHG Rewards Club Card
Chase Freedom Flex
Chase Freedom Unlimited
Amex Business Prime Card
Amex Marriott Brilliant Card
Amex Hilton Aspire Card
Amex Charles Schwab Platinum
Amex Gold Card
US Bank Cash+ card
Discover It Card
Capital One Quicksilver Card
Citi Double Cash
Citi Premier
Message 31 of 136
zerofire
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Adkins wrote:

I think it tarnishes the Amex brand, but most people aren't as credit savy as the bunch of us on this forum are. 

People still recognize the AMEX logo. Look how often we get people who believe that getting the More Rewards or Propel will help them get an AMEX core revolver. 

Right, but that's still people here.   In the outside world, these people will have an "Amex" card and not be aware of any differences, and certainly aren't aware that there is such a thing as an Amex core revolver.  And, for most such people, there probably isn't a whole load of difference: you use the card, you pay some and there is some interest.....

That's exactly my point... these people are going to have an awful experience with Credit One and believe that Amex is an awful company like Credit One. 

The same thing would happen if Discover had more network cards. The only reason it doesn't happen with V/MC is because we have always seen those logos on every card. 

The thing with Visa and MasterCard is that they do not actually compete with the card issuers. They only run the processing network. AmEx issues their own card on their network like Discover as well as offering network access to other companies. In a way people will rightfully assume they have an AmEx card but they will not understand how accurate that statement is to the whole card.

I always thought that Credit One would do what they did if they ever could get on the AmEx network but I never thought that AmEx would ever stoop so low. Now we can justifiably say Credit One has the most luxury AmEx ever, in fees.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 32 of 136
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit one bank is going to grow after the partnership with the Las Vegas Raiders ! And now Amex !! Wow !
Message 33 of 136
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Oh my lord... @RicHowe may see a day where he has a Gold Nascar Credit One with an AMEX logo...

(Theres a running gag about this)

-J

Message 34 of 136
Anonymous
Not applicable

when a card has a blue square amex logo on it, do you get any of the amex benefits? i keep hearing that amex has got purchase protection, and that's a main reason to buy things on amex.

Message 35 of 136
Anonymous
Not applicable

Only if it’s issued by Amex. In this case, Credit One has that card set up to use the Amex payment network but that’s it. No Amex features translate - it’s still a bottom-feeder despite the pretty blue square.
Message 36 of 136
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Only if it’s issued by Amex. In this case, Credit One has that card set up to use the Amex payment network but that’s it. No Amex features translate - it’s still a bottom-feeder despite the pretty blue square.

Not necessarily.  It depends on the type of agreement American Express establishes with the particular issuing bank.  For instance, the Dillard's American Express by WF offers additional perks via the American Express CONNECT portal which provides additional benefits such as special access to travel and entertainment deals.  Some extended protections are also available on a variety of AmEx partnership cards such as those still managed by Citi or BoA, for instance. 

Message 37 of 136
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It also going to depend on the bank. My Propel Amex has a lot of the benefits (although they might differ slightly) than my Amex does. They have some of the same Offers too, but many are different.

So yes, I agree, you could have an Amex from an issuer that offers next to nothing.

Message 38 of 136
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

When I had More Rewards, it had most AMEX benefits but for a shorter duration than real AMEX cards. Like 1 year extended warranty instead of 2. Benefits were offered through AMEX though. 

Message 39 of 136
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not necessarily.  It depends on the type of agreement American Express establishes with the particular issuing bank.  For instance, the Dillard's American Express by WF offers additional perks via the American Express CONNECT portal which provides additional benefits such as special access to travel and entertainment deals.  Some extended protections are also available on a variety of AmEx partnership cards such as those still managed by Citi or BoA, for instance. 

+1

I went to the Amex Connect site for the WF Propel and I changed the URL to put 'creditone' instead of 'wellsfargo'; it appears to possibly be a work-in-progress but it workshttps://www.americanexpress.com/us/network/creditone/index.html 

Edited to add:  On closer look the graphics seem to be complete so this might actually be the finished product.

Message 40 of 136
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.