Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit one bank Amex

tag
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Credit one bank Amex

It's also worth noting that is possible to express disdain for certain lenders and their practices without mocking those people who have their card.

Message 71 of 136
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

It's worth noting that even on here, a few experienced members have thought their Amex-network major bank/CU cards came with the exact same protections as Amex-issued cards. There is a lot of real potential for confusion in the general population. Maybe not about lounge access or rewards, but perhaps about resolving fraud or disputes.

In what way?   Here we might "know" that Amex generally is more consumer friendly in these disputes, but I doubt if the general population would know that.   

Message 72 of 136
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

It's worth noting that even on here, a few experienced members have thought their Amex-network major bank/CU cards came with the exact same protections as Amex-issued cards. There is a lot of real potential for confusion in the general population. Maybe not about lounge access or rewards, but perhaps about resolving fraud or disputes.

In what way?   Here we might "know" that Amex generally is more consumer friendly in these disputes, but I doubt if the general population would know that.   

Possibly. Without some survey of the less-informed, it's hard to say what the general population knows (or incorrectly believes) about credit cards. My example might apply only to a smaller "limited details" group.

I don't think the "unlimited spending" myth would easily extend to Credit One products!

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 73 of 136
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

In my opinion the only reason Amex partnering with Credit One bother some folks is because they've given Amex some sort of perceived prestige and it makes them feel good about themselves...like they've finally made it in the credit world if they have one.  And with others with less than stellar credit having a card with an Amex logo kinda removes that special feeling they get from having one.  

It's like when you hear folks who complain that Navy Federal went down hill when they allowed non-military folks in.  We all know that isn't the case... what bothers them is they lost the feeling of having access to LARGE credit limits that were exclusive to those who only had military affiliation and then had to share some of the awesomeness with those who got in through a limited crack that existed at the time...and with less than stellar profiles.  

Shy of that, I can't think of a reason anyone would care.  As long as their card provide the benefits they agreed to and the reward structure, I wouldn't care who they partner with.  And if partnering with others means they're adding to their overall profitability then hopefully that means that just maybe they won't continue to cut benefits or water down rewards  

Keep doin' what you do Amex...someone has to pay for the rewards we've all come to know and love.

Message 74 of 136
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Loquat when did NFCU started allowing non service members to join?
Message 75 of 136
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
@Loquat when did NFCU started allowing non service members to join?

There was a small window some time ago when many of us were able to join without military affiliation.  That times has since come and gone...

Message 76 of 136
Anonymous
Not applicable

I couldn't imagine USAA doing such a thing, people would join for the car insurance since it's so competitive, in my 10yrs with them I've yet to get better rates from others for insurance.
Message 77 of 136
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I couldn't imagine USAA doing such a thing, people would join for the car insurance since it's so competitive, in my 10yrs with them I've yet to get better rates from others for insurance.

With NFCU is was more of a loophole through an organization rather than them having a change of heart and allowing those who weren't military (or family) in.  Many, many of us took advantage of the loophole and thankfully they didn't kick us out.  But again, that has since come and gone and I'm thankful to have been able to get in when I did.  

Message 78 of 136
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:
It's also worth noting that is possible to express disdain for certain lenders and their practices without mocking those people who have their card.

I could, but if I want to mock a specific person or group or company, or anyone else for that matter, it's up to me. People don't have to like me, and that's ok, and that's the risk I take. I never let anyone else tell me what I should say, or feel, or act. If its inappropriate,  people can decide to not like me. 

Message 79 of 136
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Loquat wrote:

In my opinion the only reason Amex partnering with Credit One bother some folks is because they've given Amex some sort of perceived prestige and it makes them feel good about themselves...like they've finally made it in the credit world if they have one.  And with others with less than stellar credit having a card with an Amex logo kinda removes that special feeling they get from having one.  

It's like when you hear folks who complain that Navy Federal went down hill when they allowed non-military folks in.  We all know that isn't the case... what bothers them is they lost the feeling of having access to LARGE credit limits that were exclusive to those who only had military affiliation and then had to share some of the awesomeness with those who got in through a limited crack that existed at the time...and with less than stellar profiles.  

Shy of that, I can't think of a reason anyone would care.  As long as their card provide the benefits they agreed to and the reward structure, I wouldn't care who they partner with.  And if partnering with others means they're adding to their overall profitability then hopefully that means that just maybe they won't continue to cut benefits or water down rewards  

Keep doin' what you do Amex...someone has to pay for the rewards we've all come to know and love.

I agree. They may be looking at the Gold and Platinum Amex cards being the more prestigious cards now, and the rest of their Amex's are like any other Visa or Mastercard 

Message 80 of 136
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.