Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit rebound journey milestone

tag
Maxsun11

Credit rebound journey milestone

Helo 

Wanted to share a major milestone in a long disciplined process. Finally after years of housekeeping I finally moved from early 600s often having to just use debit card to today.

Just got notified by an alert today w my latest fico score update

Eq 728

Tu 723

Ex 727

First of all I want to give a shout out to yall given me during this although I was a silent follower. Thank you

Now to the next step how to build on this

I currently have 5 cards

Discover  which I started initially as secured and now unsecured. I got a cli last week for 300 so total 650/1300

Us bank  400/1000

Us bank  400/1500

Bofa 300/1500

Kohls 50/2000

Have been careful not to apply or have a hp for last 2-3 years. Now I'm confused wat to do next. Go credit card application or go join CU. If credit card I know which ones to try or which ones to not owing to past burns. 

But if joining cu a friend of mine advised to join local cu rather dcu/nfcu. 

Any advise is appreciated

7 REPLIES 7
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

Re: Credit rebound journey milestone

@Maxsun11 wrote:

Helo 

Wanted to share a major milestone in a long disciplined process. Finally after years of housekeeping I finally moved from early 600s often having to just use debit card to today.

Eq 728

Tu 723

Ex 727

First of all I want to give a shout out to yall given me during this although I was a silent follower. Thank you

I currently have 5 cards

Discover  which I started initially as secured and now unsecured. I got a cli last week for 300 so total 650/1300

Us bank  400/1000

Us bank  400/1500

Bofa 300/1500

Kohls 50/2000

Have been careful not to apply or have a hp for last 2-3 years. Now I'm confused wat to do next. Go credit card application or go join CU. If credit card I know which ones to try or which ones to not owing to past burns. 

Congrats on your success. If you have a way into Navy, I would suggest starting that relationship now. Most local cu aren't going to compare to Navy imo. Your scores are past the rebuild stage and in a good place to get some Navy love after you establish a relationship. 

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
Message 2 of 8
Hex
Valued Contributor

If you can get in Navy go Navy all the way. If not join PenFed. (Best auto loans.) if possible get both!

Message 3 of 8
Maxsun11

Thanks to both for replies. I can't get into navy . I'm hearing penfed is very stingy, u think it's still better than dcu? Also I want to get some installment loan activity since my crs keep saying no installment loan activity as reason for low score? U think these cus offer some loan equivalent to secure cards?

Message 4 of 8
Maxsun11

Wrt navy , my buddy works at nfcu do u think he can add me as freinds and family and get me into nfcu?

@Maxsun11 wrote:

Thanks to both for replies. I can't get into navy . I'm hearing penfed is very stingy, u think it's still better than dcu? Also I want to get some installment loan activity since my crs keep saying no installment loan activity as reason for low score? U think these cus offer some loan equivalent to secure cards?

Message 5 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Maxsun11 wrote:

Helo 

Eq 728

Tu 723

Ex 727

I currently have 5 cards

Us bank  400/1000

Us bank  400/1500

Bofa 300/1500

Kohls 50/2000

CongratsSmiley Happy

DF needs to have head examed lol. Navy can do more good for you then almost any local credit union could , at least in regards to credit card limits. Plus not everyone can qualify for Navy. Plus having a couple credit unions in your profile can be good since they usually stick with you during tough times unlike most banks.  2-3 years no appsis great job, if there is a card you want treat yourself especially if it aligns with your spendSmiley Happy

Message 6 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Maxsun11 wrote:

Wrt navy , my buddy works at nfcu do u think he can add me as freinds and family and get me into nfcu?

@Maxsun11 wrote:

Oh, most likely why friend recommended local cu since you cant join Navy unless you had someone in your family who served. Since you dont have a ton of credit, Penfed might actually like you. Worth a shot. 

Message 7 of 8
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Join whatever CU that has products you can use. All of my local CUs have anemic products like 1% rewards cards. Luckily, Penfed and Navy have local branches. I joined DCU just because I might want to use them for auto loans. In the meantime, I stuck $1000 in their savings, which has the highest interest rate I've seen at 6.17%. This last month payout was about $5 while all my other Banks and CUs were paying pennies for thousands more being held.

Same thing applies to credit cards. Get what will benefit you. People ooh and ahh over Amex Platinum, CSR, and Altitude Reserve, but if you don't travel, you may be better off with a cashback card. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.