cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit score bump as a result of new apps?

tag
jaybird201
Established Contributor

Credit score bump as a result of new apps?

Just applied for the J.CrewCard from World Financial Network National Bank, the GAPCard from GEMB and the SunocoCard from Citibank. Approved for all three, and they've reported for about a month now.

Also, when I pulled my scores, my utilization was through the roof (20% as compared the usual 5%) due to AmEx reporting a $2k plane ticket I bought a couple of months ago). So my score should have been lower than my more recent score of 709.

I just checked my EX and my score and it's up almost 30 points?

Any thoughts on whether or not this was due to my new mix of credit?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit score bump as a result of new apps?

jaybird201 wrote:
Just applied for the J.CrewCard from World Financial Network National Bank, the GAPCard from GEMB and the SunocoCard from Citibank. Approved for all three, and they've reported for about a month now.

Also, when I pulled my scores, my utilization was through the roof (20% as compared the usual 5%) due to AmEx reporting a $2k plane ticket I bought a couple of months ago). So my score should have been lower than my more recent score of 709.

I just checked my EX and my score and it's up almost 30 points?

Any thoughts on whether or not this was due to my new mix of credit?

What mix?  All the accounts you mentioned are revolving accounts.

If you're referring to the gas/store card mix, I really doubt that's worth 30 points.  5-10 at the most.

Message Edited by cheddar on 08-04-2008 06:12 AM
Message 2 of 4
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

It could be due to the fact you are letting revolving accounts report balances, as opposed to always reporting 0 balances. That could possibly give you 20 points or so.
Here we go again...
Message 3 of 4
jaybird201
Established Contributor

FretlessMayhem wrote:
It could be due to the fact you are letting revolving accounts report balances, as opposed to always reporting 0 balances. That could possibly give you 20 points or so.

I think you might be right. I also had another couple cards in the sock drawer that I pulled out and made some small purchases on to keep them active.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.