Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit score dropped 111 points after getting Kohls charge card

tag
johnnypinaz
New Contributor

Credit score dropped 111 points after getting Kohls charge card

Just a warning.... my Fico dropped 111 points 2 days after my first Kohls new charge card posted...

My limit is $500 and I used $272 but it literally posted like 3 days after I made the charges and I think between the new account and the balance it just looked bad. I ma planning on paying it in full next week but thought it was strange they would list it that way so fast even before my payment was due.

Ill check it again in a month and see if it goes back up but I was expecting it to go down 10 to 20 points maybe just because of the new account and that was a little rediculious.

I just got a 29,000 car loan and that only brought me down a couple points!  Silly

Starting Score: 590
Current Score: 730
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
blunderer
Established Contributor

Re: Credit score dropped 111 points after getting Kohls charge card

Wow!  That is a pretty big drop. 

I'm sure you'll regain some ground once you bring down your utilization as planned.  Also, after a few months of timely payments with the new car loan.  And congrats on the new car.

Message 2 of 20
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@johnnypinaz wrote:

Just a warning.... my Fico dropped 111 points 2 days after my first Kohls new charge card posted...

My limit is $500 and I used $272 but it literally posted like 3 days after I made the charges and I think between the new account and the balance it just looked bad. I ma planning on paying it in full next week but thought it was strange they would list it that way so fast even before my payment was due.

Ill check it again in a month and see if it goes back up but I was expecting it to go down 10 to 20 points maybe just because of the new account and that was a little rediculious.

I just got a 29,000 car loan and that only brought me down a couple points!  Silly

WOW, that is a big hit! I have never seen a hit that big with opening a card and charging right away.

Message 3 of 20
shols44
Frequent Contributor

Thats crazy odd. There is no way util on one card can cause a 100pt drop. What is your overall util? I hope you reviewed the rest of your report and no "baddie" got reported or something. 

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 4 of 20
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

Wow that is quite a drop. Bummer.  When I had two cards and two inquiries last January I think my score dropped about 30 or 40 points and then slowly went back up to where it was after 6 months.  I think you're right that it was probably a combo of the new card and the utilization, in fact more the utilization.  Not sure how many cards you have, but even having over 50% utilization on one card will drop your score a decent amount.  The good thing is your score will increase at least somewhat as soon as you pay down the Kohl's card.

Message 5 of 20
johnnypinaz
New Contributor

I dont know the percentage but have 2 credit cards. One is $200 which only owes $5 and the other is the Kohls which is $500 and showed that $272 balance. 

Other then that I have a @29K car payment which is up to date.

So its probably using only the $700 in credit cards as the utilization which would put me around 25% I guess.

Message 6 of 20
johnnypinaz
New Contributor

I'll update everyone in a month when it reports again. Im not trying to obtain any new credit for a few months so Im sure it will be back up again by then and hopefully even better  Smiley Happy

thanks

Message 7 of 20
Capya
New Contributor

277/700 = 39.5%

Starting Score: 573 (Exp 10/12)
Current Score: 767 (Exp 6/13)
Goal Score: 700+ I Crushed it!!!

Message 8 of 20
calihlove75
Established Contributor

I think you need to pull your report and see if anything else is going on. I find it very hard to believe that a kohls even over 50% utility would cause that much of a drop. That is crazy

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 9 of 20
Capya
New Contributor

Also, where are you getting your score? Did you get a full report and check it for any new negatives?

Starting Score: 573 (Exp 10/12)
Current Score: 767 (Exp 6/13)
Goal Score: 700+ I Crushed it!!!

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.