cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit scores needed for Discover card aproval?

tag
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

Re: Credit scores needed for Discover card aproval?

@LS2982 wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

The next two cards I want to app for are Discover card(More or It),and also a CitiBank Advantage card.What type of scores would I need to get their attention? Should I go after a different CitiBank card?

Thanks for your advice

Your scores are OK, how long have your accounts been opened and any of your recent approvals report yet??

Hi LS

My oldest accounts are near the two year mark. I haven't really added any new cards in the last 12 months, except my Freedom card (6 months old), and now my NFCU card (not reporting yet). My Wells Fargo card is 17 months old. My student loans are the oldest. Some people say it might be to my favor that I haven't added a lot of cards to my credit file. I could be wrong but I think cc companies might like the idea they are one, if not the main cc a consumer uses.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 11 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@MountainHiker wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

The next two cards I want to app for are Discover card(More or It),and also a CitiBank Advantage card.What type of scores would I need to get their attention? Should I go after a different CitiBank card?

Thanks for your advice

Your scores are OK, how long have your accounts been opened and any of your recent approvals report yet??

Hi LS

My oldest accounts are near the two year mark. I haven't really added any new cards in the last 12 months, except my Freedom card (6 months old), and now my NFCU card (not reporting yet). My Wells Fargo card is 17 months old. My student loans are the oldest. Some people say it might be to my favor that I haven't added a lot of cards to my credit file. I could be wrong but I think cc companies might like the idea they are one, if not the main cc a consumer uses.

I think you'd be good for it, Fingers crossed for you!!

I'm thinking the NFCU TL reporting could be a blessing and a curse. That high line might mean more CL for you and that new account may spook them. I would app before it reports.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 12 of 17
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

Thanks for your advice

Hi LS

I think you'd be good for it, Fingers crossed for you!!

I'm thinking the NFCU TL reporting could be a blessing and a curse. That high line might mean more CL for you and that new account may spook them. I would app before it reports.

Thanks LS

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 13 of 17
grdlock
New Visitor

Just came across this thread, I realize it's old, but thought I would throw in my response for anyone in the future that finds it!

I got approved for a Discover It just recently with an $1,800 limit, with a mear 621 FICO score from Trans Union (according to Discover's welcome packet).

I was surprised... I have a much better credit score with Experian and EquiFax (around 700), which is why I applied. I had some medical bills go into collections years ago when I was younger, and all but one of them are off my Experian/EquiFax, however all still remain on my Trans Union.

I have a Capital One card and an Orchard Bank (which is now Capital One though, too) card, and an $18,000 car loan on my credit as well, all in good standing for the 1.5+ years I've had them.

Hope this info helps someone.

Message 14 of 17
enharu
Super Contributor

I would say about 650 score should be borderline for approval. Remember though, your score isn't everything. Your income, and the actual contents of your CR affect your approval odds as well
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 15 of 17
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

AVOID CITI!

Discover is amazing. Got a $4k lim with 688 EQ in Tx.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 16 of 17
lithium78
Established Contributor

They approved me with a $1000 CL when my EQ score was 650 with defaulted student loans.  Since then, it's grown to $2700, which is far from my highest CL now that my credit is cleaned up, but I'm still grateful that they let me through the door to Primeville.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.