cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit to income Ratio & How much available credit is too much?

tag
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit to income Ratio & How much available credit is too much?

BBS...I often find the income that creditors ask about difficult to answer. It is my SSDI + whatever I choose to withdraw from 401k and retirement, since I will withdraw 20,000 at least, I report that. I could withdraw 100k or even more if I needed to. Since it is all tax deferred I wll draw 20k even if not needed to get it out of tax deferred account an pay as little tax on it as possible. Sometimes they ask, and I tell them income is whatever I want it to be to a point. My regular debts and expenses are less than even my SSDI, and after two more years I will have no debt at all and only have 19k mortgage debt now. Mortgage, phone, power, insurance, groceries, taxes, and all else is still less than 1500 dollars, and my SSDI is 2150 after medicare advantage insurance is deducted. The deferred savings is a little less than half a million and I draw over 800 in interest on it. That interest alone is more than my house payment which is PITI. It might be little in California, it is a lot in South Carolina though.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 11 of 17
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Tonya-E wrote:

@Obscure-Expert

I overthink EVERYTHINGSmiley Happy So you're on the money there!  I read and read on these topics and often times over-analyze! I have seen people report that they were told to close some of their credit cards because they had too much credit available to them. The lender was afraid of the possibility of them using that credit (maxing out), and thereby hindering their ability to pay. NOW, the left out part is what their DTI was. And that was the part I left out of my thinking. I have to factor that in as it is a key component.

Tonya-E....really nice scores. I have never had even one fico 8 reach 840.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
Message 12 of 17
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm well over my yearly income in available credit; it's not an issue. 

I perosnally feel that if credit has been extended on a card with no AF that there's no need to close the account if I'm not using it. If the lended decides to that's fine, I prefer to just let them stay open until then to pad my UTI and AAoA. I do close AF cards for non-use though. Any cards I don't want to lose I put spend on occasionally. 

+100...I have never yet seen a good reason to close any card that has no AF. Also if you receive notice a card will be closed due to inactivity, and you have another card there, ask them if you can move the available credit limit to your other card that sees regular use. I had both Chase Amazon Prime card and Chase Freedom unlimited that I was notified was to be closed due to inactivity. I had 8000 cl at each. Now I only have the Amazon Prime card with Chase and a 16k credit limit.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
Message 13 of 17
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Tonya-E wrote:

@dyn Ok this is good to keep in mind. The only card I have with an annual fee is the Amex BCP and I use it enough to far outweigh the yearly fee. So it is beneficial. Thank you for your input. Years ago (and I haven't been up here for a while), I thought it was stated that having too many cards could prevent attaining new credit (mortgage, car loan, etc.). It's been a long time though. My info is probably outdated.

Hey, I remember you Tonya Smiley Happy.  Hi!

Your registration date is even earlier than mine... the credit market was simply different then with lenders side-eyeing things which are utterly irrelevant today.

There is a "too many accounts" penalty on some scores (sigh, TU) and lender underwriting can have restrictions, but the vast majority of lenders currently just don't care.  If we do get another major downturn in the financial markets, things will tighten up but to everyone's point if you're managing your accounts well and your income isn't out of line anyway (I think 1:1 is an easily supportable measurement even in the worst of times credit wise) it won't matter much if at all.

I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you're not racking up absurd amounts of debt it doesn't matter rationally when it comes to finances.  That said, if the proverbial fecal matter does hit the air circulation device, I'm probably going to self-select some cards and maybe limits to pare down to reduce the chance of some lender I do care about (Chase) going sideways on me... pretty sure Chase will be among the last to do something drastic like close an account on me, but I'm going to be playing safety bear with my credit at that point: I can always re-establish other lines later but it probably won't rationally matter to me credit wise, 5 credit cards is plenty for scoring purposes for pretty much everything, I don't need 17 just sayin' Smiley Happy

        
Message 14 of 17
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

Hi Revelate!!!

I remember you too!!! I hadn't logged in since like 2011-2012! Good to know you are still aroundSmiley Happy I am just going to sit with what I have at this time I think. What I do plan to do is reevaluate how I am using each to maximize my profit for using them. That is something I wasn't doing to the best of my ability. But it is good to know that I am not doing anything that may cause problems in the future. I think it may be due to a new day and time.

Wallet: Amex BCP-45k| Barclays Rewards MC-26.3k| Citi Thank You Preferred-27.5k| Citi Double Cash-14k| Target MC-11.5k| Walmart MC-7.5k| Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature-6k

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 17
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

@sarge thanks! I will likely never see it go further-especially on the other two Smiley Happy But as long as I keep them decently high I should be ok. Thanks for your input too. I have referred folks to this forum many times to know how to navigate this credit thing. I can tell you for sure that it has helped me tremendously!

Wallet: Amex BCP-45k| Barclays Rewards MC-26.3k| Citi Thank You Preferred-27.5k| Citi Double Cash-14k| Target MC-11.5k| Walmart MC-7.5k| Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature-6k

Message 16 of 17
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

@Average, That's all I was worried about. I always keep utilization low. I know it sounds like I am overly cautious but this is someone that has been through some HORRIBLE times in my younger years.  So ever since I recovered, I have just tried to make sure I stay on my P's and Q's. Even at 42 now I am still learning. You're never too old.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.