cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creditkarma CC pre-approvals: How reliable??

tag
Credit_Flavours
Regular Contributor

Creditkarma CC pre-approvals: How reliable??

Lately i have seen the pre-approval bammer show up on different CCs when i log into Creditkarma and got an email or two talking about pre-approvals of different cards.

Question is while i know their "approval odds" thingy is purely marketing, what do you knowlegdeable folks here make of their "pre-approved" tag? Authentic(i.e. with true connection to the issuers) or just more forceful marketing?

Here's an example below

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-01 at 8.39.01 AM.jpeg

22 REPLIES 22
ChessChik47
Frequent Contributor

Re: Creditkarma CC pre-approvals: How reliable??

I recommend going directly to the credit card issuer's  prequalification website and see what they have for you.  I find them to be more reliable than CK since CK is attempting to make money when you apply thru them.

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not reliable at all. It’s just marketing and how much each partner agrees to pay them. I had excellent approval odds for US Bank Signature after they had already declined my app 😂

Message 3 of 23
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

HSBC doesn't have a pre-qual site in case of that screen-shot so not sure if CK has a patnership with HSBC bank or other lenders that offer the pre-quals..  Could be legit, but they say the 90% as nothing in the CC world is guranteed pre-approved or not as HP still needs to be done and if lenders doesn't like something in profile or fail verification etc you will still be declined the card.  I take pre-quals like a grain of salt I let me credit report / profile do the talking and either approved or declined on the merit of the report/profile.  99% of cards I have gotten have been from cold apps.  

Message 4 of 23
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Not reliable at all. It’s just marketing and how much each partner agrees to pay them. I had excellent approval odds for US Bank Signature after they had already declined my app 😂

approval odds are marketing pure and simple as they usually are getting a commission where-as a "pre-approval" in theory should of done some basic checks with the lender through some sort of API on their site of your credit profile to see if you met the basics of what they seek for approval.  With that said I use CK only for monitoring my HP count and when things fall of or if I have a balance reduction on mortgage etc.. Nothing more as would never apply for a CK form them unless they offer a higher sign-up bonus that through lenders website such as the citi rewards + for 20k typ...

Message 5 of 23
Credit_Flavours
Regular Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

approval odds are marketing pure and simple as they usually are getting a commission where-as a "pre-approval" in theory should of done some basic checks with the lender through some sort of API on their site of your credit profile to see if you met the basics of what they seek for approval.  With that said I use CK only for monitoring my HP count and when things fall of or if I have a balance reduction on mortgage etc.. Nothing more as would never apply for a CK form them unless they offer a higher sign-up bonus that through lenders website such as the citi rewards + for 20k typ...

This up here is why I decided to post here cause Nerdwallet also has a pre-approval window that seems to be connected to the issuers, hence my curiosity in the case of CK.

Also, I have searched to see if HSBC has a pre-qualification site and I couldn't find any. So just got me more interested even though I am firmly in the garden for a few more months.

Message 6 of 23
Remedios
Credit Mentor

It's whichever cards lenders pay them to peddle  at the moment 

Lookie here 

Screenshot 97.png

Message 7 of 23
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

As another datapoint, I get weekly mailers from HSBC with preapproved offers and a set APR on the Cash Rewards card, and would surely be approved if I chose to take it.  On Credit Karma, I am not preapproved for either of those HSBC cards, but have "Good Approval Odds" for both. 

Incidentally they sit next to the American Express Blue Cash Preferred (Excellent Approval Odds even though Amex only uses Experian and CK has no access to my Experian reports) and the Credit One Visa Platinum with Cash Back Rewards (Fair Approval Odds).  I know OP used the disclaimer that they knew approval odds were just marketing, but it always amuses me to see them.

Message 8 of 23
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

It's whichever cards lenders pay them to peddle  at the moment 

Lookie here 

Screenshot 97.png

I happened to check CK this morning and had that "pre-approved" for HSBC Gold Mastercard and was ready to pounce on the HSBC website when I remembered  . . . . Oh right! I already have one! Smiley LOL

CL claims "high success rate" on their recommendations, but at least half the times they're cards I already have. And the others they were pushing were a couple Citi cards with "very good" approval odds. Umm, no, I included a couple Citi cards in my 2010 BK7 and already tried for a Simplicity earlier this year - instant denial, which I expected with the BK still on my report, but when the letter came it said "unsatisfactory prior experience" which I took as a "don't even think about it". So no, I take a pass on CK recommendations.

Message 9 of 23
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Use Credit Karma's recommendations to get ideas. Then come here and research the cards before moving forward.

Your mileage will vary with preapproval tools. Apple Card preapprovals are rock solid. Capital One, Chase, and AMEX are good. Discover is usually good.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.