Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creditors that will CLD you at the drop of a hat

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Creditors that will CLD you at the drop of a hat

Guess I'll find out about Barclay sooner or later. I got three new cards Smiley Happy 

Message 61 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know it's one of those things, people may or may not have a reason to be AA but I have read literally 100's of posts about Barclay. And to be frank. They scare the crap out of me and afraid of being AA. For that very reason I just can't bring myself to auto pay anything with them and probably never will. I'm to afraid that ( just from reading on the Internet ) they may take some sort of action and a bill doesn't get paid.
Things I seldom ever hear are, I got AA from Barclay. I called the EO and we worked it out and I am now happy with the results.
Just like a lender gets spoked, so do consumers. Sure I don't have millions of dollars as I am 1 person but I am one person out of 100's.
I just will never be able to pay something like auto insurance, a house payment, or anything that I would be under contract with, with Barclay in fear of messing up credit, lapsing my insurance. Etc.
I'm ok right now getting mcdonalds and a bottle of ciroc with.
They are one of my highest SL cards also.
Message 62 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ddemari wrote:

I think it’s hard  to make a blanket statement about AA in general, as most general credit card users will probably never deal with it. On the other hand, it’s easy for me to say that there are lenders out there that are sensitive and don’t value your relationship, payment history, good credit when they shut down or CLD your card. Over the past 4 years, I’ve gone from a handful of cards to dozens of cards. Barclays has CLD me before and comenity has shut down all my cards but the most hurtful was bank of America, as at the time the fico score they based their letter of was 722, I had about 4% utilization and a long history with them. Along with nothing negative or ever paying late, their computer said bye and they were not pleasant to deal with when I called and saw my card was no longer active. Chase, CapitalOne, Synchrony bank seem to just like usage and payment and I’ve been fine with them. I’d say their definitely are banks that want to cut ties before there is some possibility of extra risk from the consumer.

Good post.

Message 63 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

IME, I have not personally had any issues with AA from Barclay, but the biggest AA I received was from Citi and BoA.  During CARD Act, Citi attempted to RJ me on 2 cards from 5.99% F and 5.74% V to around 19% V or so on both.  I declined and opted out to preserve the existing rates, and as a result, Citi closed down about $27k in total credit limits that I had with them previously, not fun  Smiley Sad

BoA is a bit of a different story, they are actually my favorite cc lender of all, but they also did a $16k CLD  to me on 2 accounts a few years ago, all simply for asking for an APR decrease.  I have since been able to (albeit very slowly) start to build my total CL with them back over time, and even though they took the $16k CLD AA against me earlier, they are simply too important and valuable to my current card collection for me to want to close out any of my cards with them.  I have to give them credit actually tbh, they could have potentially closed down my accounts completely, which would have been a much harsher punishment if they had, but thankfully they did not.  My #1 favorite card in my present collection is my BoA Cash Rewards WMC, so it would hurt incredibly if they were to close that one down or take further AA on it, and so I have also taken recent action to reduce my risk of AA exposure with them by paying off huge amounts of my revolving balances with them, I think right now my total util with them is actually below 10%?

BOA is like that stern parent that puts you in time out. You might sulk and be mad at them for a lil while for punishing you. But, you never stop loving them! 💜

I've been with them over 26 years. As soon as the last ACH I have out clears, (day after tomorrow), I'm closing both my accounts. I'm done with their crap.

Message 64 of 92
myjourney
Super Contributor

@bada_bing wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@baller4life wrote:
Thanks MJ. That's all I'm saying. Their sensitive/risk levels are definitely different. Which is why there tends to be a higher number of AA threads from Barclays and BOA. And yes, before they chime in, I do know AA can come from all lenders lol.

And on that note Lol

Weather they're sensitive or not the fact remains you did something to cause them to first look and secondly to act

No one and I mean no one can show me a case and be willing to truthfully answer and let me dissect it to the bear bones and say I did nothing to be AA/CLD 

It didn't happen they just didn't pick you out of names in a hat and say we have a winner the odds are the same with the lottery and you haven't won that yet either ROFLOL

What? I'm just sayinSmiley Tongue

In 2008 it is well established that AA rolled out on thousands, perhaps millions of cardholders for nothing

the cardholders did. BoA was the worst "offender" at the time. I personally had my AkAir visa slashed from

$50K~$12K and absolutely, positively nothing changed in my behaviors & profile then or since. It was

somewhat understandable in that BoA thought they were toast at the time and people were running around

doing "strategic defaults" on debts, especially mortgages. Besides AA, they did a couple things on my

account that didn't directly effect me, but appeared to be intentional fraud to beef up their balance

sheet for "stress tests". BoA raised my CL back from $12K > $50K at my request (and double HP) in 2012. The

CSR that I made the request to was fairly chatty about my comments about the HP, given that it was entirely

BoA (and so admitted by the CSR) that caused the original CLD.

Today and for the last few years, I'd agree that CLD doesn't happen without behavior/profile changes triggering

a computer algorithm based on risk & potential profit. Profit is the other side of the coin as far as issuer actions.

If you don't charge much and don't have the income to do so, you are going to run into issuers comfort level much

easier. If you swipe ~$100 a quarter on a card you've built up to $20K CL, it doesn't take much risk in the numerator

to tip the risk/reward ratio.

I still tolerate BoA because I get value from the AkAir card. I absolutely love Barclays. Neither is going to AA me for

anything I do, but there is always the possibility they can get in trouble. If it comes, there are lots of fish in the

credit sea and I don't need even 10% of my present credit limit to manage my spending just fine. If it all goes away,

there's cash in the bank . When cash doesn't work, there's a few ounces of gold and a few thousand rounds of

ammo in the safe and a few hundred pounds of dry beans and rice in the pantry, lol. Point being, we all have our

somewhat irrational fears. Fear the zombie apocalypse and potential AA won't seem so scary. 

bada_bing If you don't keep the conversation this decade...LolSmiley Tongue

I did elude to the downturn in a post in this thread and I truly think that is the root of the problem and what we see now 

All lenders did the same at that time which was cut losses ASAP before the flood gates burst ...however it was to late the pin hole (mortgages) sprung a leak which lead to a flash flood. Sweeping loans,CC's and stocks all down the river 

But in this decade bada_bing Smiley Very Happy

I stand by the statement show me a case and be willing to truthfully answer and let me dissect it to the bear bones and say I did nothing to be AA/CLD 

Still waiting anyone? makes you think doesn't it?

P.S. and I quote "Fear the zombie apocalypse"  

Cocked ,Locked and Loaded .....ROFLOL

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 65 of 92
baller4life
Super Contributor

Well I know what I did wrong to be AA'd by Sir Barclays. I did a balance transfer for too much of my limit(80%) and they freaked out. Even though I made a $1000 payment the following week. I went from 0% to 80% balance. I was still learning the credit game and Barclays. The balance transfer also triggered them to sp my TU and they felt I had too many new accounts as well as the "Escalating debt" on their account. And before anyone says anything, that came directly from Portfolio Credit. Balance transfer requests will trigger a review. Hard lesson learned.
Message 66 of 92
myjourney
Super Contributor

Attorney Aaaaa huh 

So you admit you know what you did to trigger the actions in question....

Baller I take the 5th Lol

Thanks for being honest Baller ....no further questions your honor 

Next witness pls take the stand Smiley TongueSmiley Very Happy

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 67 of 92
baller4life
Super Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

Attorney Aaaaa huh 

Fact still remains, they are super sensitive and no other lender has ever treated me that way. Which is why I choose not to do business with them. Post meltdown or not, their tolerance level is unacceptable to me. Especially since I took extremely good care of my cards with them. Always pif'ed. Made a balance transfer after you bombarded me for weeks with offers. Then you AA me after the transfer AND big payment? LOL. No, I will pass on Barclays. Thanks. But,no thanks! Smiley Frustrated

Message 68 of 92
Kidcat
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
AA can and does happen across all issuers. Escalating or sudden utilization, lots of inquiries, etc can lead to it. We all know the factors.

Personally I choose not to worry about it. If it happens it happens. Plenty of lenders out there. If it happens, try and look at the reason and possibly learn something from it, and adjust your future behavior.

+1.  

Last app 09/21/2021. Gardening Goal Oct 2023
Message 69 of 92
myjourney
Super Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Attorney Aaaaa huh 

Fact still remains, they are super sensitive and no other lender has ever treated me that way. Which is why I choose not to do business with them. Post meltdown or not, their tolerance level is unacceptable to me. Especially since I took extremely good care of my cards with them. Always pif'ed. Made a balance transfer after you bombarded me for weeks with offers. Then you AA me after the transfer AND big payment? LOL. No, I will pass on Barclays. Thanks. But,no thanks! Smiley Frustrated

Lol and you have me on the other hand 

Always PIF haven't used their card since Nov 2015 and probably won't no real rewards but no AF either 

5 new accounts and not a peep 

I no longer watch UTL for scoring purposes if statements cut with 5k on them oh we'll pay when due free 30 day loans 

And March saw 3 statements cut with balances of $4200-3300-1700

Baller don't sweat the small stuff to many fish in the sea is my motto and I'm sure you agree Smiley Wink

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 70 of 92
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.