Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credt Card Interest Rate

tag
Calculon
Valued Member

Credt Card Interest Rate

I have a Capital One Quicksilver card.  Normally, I pay the full balance every month, but last month I had put a deposit on the card for $500 that I later had refurned.  I incorrectly calculated the difference, so I had about a $50 balance on the card at the end of the month.  When I received my statement next month, I noticed there was a $7.07 interest charge.  This seemed odd to me as $7 on a $50 balance would be a 20+% interest rate for one month.

I called Capital One and asked why I had to pay $7 on a $50 balance?  They immediately offered to refund the money, which also seemed odd to me, but  I was informed that when calculating my interest rate used the average daily balance and not the remaining balance calculate my interest.  I was just wondering if this was a typical practice for credit cards?  Thanks for any help.

QSD ITAMEXDCFRSM
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Re: Credt Card Interest Rate

That's happened to me twice with Capital One, they refunded me both times... It's never happened with any other lender just Capital One...
Message 2 of 4
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Yes, most CCs use an average daily balance to calculate interest.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting...

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.