cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creepy high amount of credit card debt.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Creepy high amount of credit card debt.

@tcbofade wrote:

Good thoughts all, thanks for your input.

No, I'm not offended, and we're not having a lifestyle issue.

We didn't overbuild our neighborhood, we bought a nearly 20 year old house that had fallen into disrepair, most homes in our subdivision sell for 200-300k.  We bought for $115k.

We researched the price history on our home, it's been valued over $300k before, and our insurance agent wouldn't insure it for less than $200k.

We'll get another appraisal in January, and we'll see what they say then.... 

Just means you'll pay more taxes Smiley Tongue

Message 21 of 33
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

Using the intro 0 APR rate on cards looks pretty good when comparing against the rates card normally charge.

When compared against the current rates for mortgages, it looks less advantageous.

Every situation is different, so the upside/downside is individual.

I personally am not a fan of riding balances on cards unless the repayment money is in hand at the

time of the charge. Murphy's law too often comes into play. "In hand" in this case would be a written commitment

for a second mortgage or Refi at explicit terms. Without knowing the future availability & terms of

financing, it's taking a gamble for a few months of "0" APR vs ~4% current mortgage rates. The potential

downside include rates rising in the interim, housing values falling or inability to refinance.  Not to be a party pooper,

but a lot of undercapitalized "house flippers" got burned pretty bad during the 2008 housing meltdown doing this

exact thing. That is the slight but catastrophic risk you have to assess to make this gamble. Which side of the bet

a person takes is an individual choice. 

Congrats on the successful purchase and remodel. It sounds like a very good move. If you have the time, please

post the particulars when you complete the refi. I am interested in the actual upside/downside of the money

end.

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 22 of 33
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@bada_bing wrote:

Using the intro 0 APR rate on cards looks pretty good when comparing against the rates card normally charge.

When compared against the current rates for mortgages, it looks less advantageous.

I personally am not a fan of riding balances on cards unless the repayment money is in hand at the

time of the charge. Murphy's law too often comes into play. "In hand" in this case would be a written commitment

for a second mortgage or Refi at explicit terms. Without knowing the future availability & terms of

financing, it's taking a gamble for a few months of "0" APR vs ~4% current mortgage rates. The potential

downside include rates rising in the interim, housing values falling or inability to refinance.  Not to be a party pooper,

but a lot of undercapitalized "house flippers" got burned pretty bad during the 2008 housing meltdown doing this

exact thing. That is the slight but catastrophic risk you have to assess to make this gamble. Which side of the bet

Congrats on the successful purchase and remodel. It sounds like a very good move. If you have the time, please

post the particulars when you complete the refi. I am interested in the actual upside/downside of the money

end.

I'll be yelling so loud, you'll know the details before you open your browser....lol.

Will do. 

Is it January yet?

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 23 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tcbofade wrote:

@bada_bing wrote:

end.

I'll be yelling so loud, you'll know the details before you open your browser....lol.

Will do. 

Is it January yet?

It is if you'll tell us.

Message 24 of 33
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Hey, I'm game.....now we just have to convince somebody at the Credit Union that it's January....  Smiley Tongue

Message 25 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tcbofade wrote:

Hey, I'm game.....now we just have to convince somebody at the Credit Union that it's January....  Smiley Tongue

Shouldn't be that hard to do Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 33
jre
Regular Contributor

Thanks for sharing. This is a bit of a gamble so to speak as many have stated. However, if all the chips fall in your favor you'll have a great home and will have improved your credit profile through the process.

Quicksilver x2 | Barclays | Store Cards (more than I need)

Scores: 650s
Message 27 of 33
tcbofade
Super Contributor

...and NOW it's January.

DW got approved for the refi today.  They haven't ordered the appraisal yet, but the loan officer believes that $200k is a modest "assumed" value...  First round should knock out about $50k in CC debt.

We want to stay under 80% LTV so that we can ditch PMI....

Message 28 of 33
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Best of luck on the apprisal!  Keep us informed.

Message 29 of 33
One7
Valued Contributor

Good luck with everything 

EX 810 EQ 805 TU 792 Diners WEMC 15k Chase United Club VS 15k | Hyatt VS 25k | Ritz VI 5k | Frdm VS 6k | CSP VS 5k | Mariott VS 6k | Amzn VS 16k Citi ExecAA WEMC 18k | TYP VS 7k | Costco VS 9k | Hilton Reserve VS 6k | Best Buy Visa 5k BofA Travel VS 30k | Cash VS 41k | Merrill+ VS 46k Barclay Rwds WMC 6k | Hawaiin WEMC 10k | JetBlue WEMC 8k | Aviator S WEMC 6k Amex Plat: NPSL | BCP 8k | SPG 3k WF Rwds VS 9k | Propel World Amex 25k | Dillards Amex 2k BBVA NBA Amex 10k Cap1 GM WEMC 8k | QS Visa 3k | Saks WEMC 9k NASA 30k Discover It 7k | US Bank Cash+ VS 15k | Flex Perks VS 20k ||| Total Rwds VS 12k | SG Rwds 11k | Walmrt MC 8k | Lowes 17k | Bowflex 9k | J Deere 15k | TJ Max 4k | Care 15k | HDepot 20k | Amzn 5k | PPal Extras 8k | Chvron 10k | Macys 15k | JCrew 18k | Marvel 8k | Stash VS 8k | Cabelas 10k | Statefarm 12k | Nordstrom Visa 10k \\\\Gardening since January////
Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.