Re: Crooks Are Trying to Steal Your Credit

Doubt it DI.
Message 11 of 37
DI
Super Contributor

@-Cain- wrote:
Doubt it DI.

I'm not convinced it isnt.  We are talking about BOA.  They're always haivng problems and having to reissue cards. 

Message 12 of 37
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

DI, if that happens I'm sure you'll let BofA hear about it and be rewarded handsomely. ; )
Message 13 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am still shocked, I had no idea until today that people were sending fake email in hopes of getting your account login and other information.

Is this practice widespread or common?

Message 14 of 37
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am still shocked, I had no idea until today that people were sending fake email in hopes of getting your account login and other information.

This is becoming common.  I've received them from Citi and Chase before.  Many times you know its fake because of the links.  Also, some have misspelled words embedded in the emails. 

Message 15 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DI wrote:

This is becoming common.  I've received them from Citi and Chase before.  Many times you know its fake because of the links.  Also, some have misspelled words embedded in the emails. 

You know I have a dear friend trying to get some money out of Africa and he is supposed to pay me "handomly" for it... should I make him aware since he uses email for so much of his business?

Message 16 of 37
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I get these fairly often.  The most recognizable red flag is the return email addy.  These are often "from" banks & CCC's that I don't even do business with. I have a list of bank spam mail contacts.  I always FW these spams to their spam department. 

These have nothing to do with the real banks or real accounts.  There is always a list of other email addys with yours...they go out as group spam garbage.

Every now & then I reply.  I tell them I am an agent with the FBI's Cyber Crime Division & they picked the wrong patsy this time!  Smiley Very Happy

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 17 of 37
mmduluth
Frequent Contributor

I just got one yesterday from “Chase” saying I need to UPDATED my information. I figure your going to write an email pretending to be from a bank, at least spell things correctly and use proper grammar.

On a side not. Gmail has a fantastic spam filter. That email went straight to spam and had a giant red banner across the top saying “This email may not be from who you think it is"

EQ FICO - 718 - 01/10/2012 EX FICO - 732 - 04/28/2012 (AMEX)

Cap1 Platinum (1000) Macy’s (2000) Chase Freedom (3000) Kohls (600) Best Buy (2700) Amex BCE (8200) Chase Sapphire (5000) CarCare1 (1600) Discover IT (4000)
Message 18 of 37
mauve
Valued Contributor

Yes.  Also let your dear friend know that when he sends that money order to purchase that parakeet on Craigslist that he should be careful when he deposits the overage from his totally-legit money order into his bank account because that parakeet may not be real, or it could be sick.

@Anonymous wrote:

@DI wrote:

You know I have a dear friend trying to get some money out of Africa and he is supposed to pay me "handomly" for it... should I make him aware since he uses email for so much of his business?

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Statement notifications from BoA come from 

onlinestmt@ealerts.bankofamerica.com

Just ignore the others. Pretty simple.  Surprised you haven't seen a whole stream of them every month.  It has nothing to do with any supposed unannounced security breach at BoA.  Nobody cares about your email address when they are hacking your bank accounts, credit cards, personal information, SSN, purchase history, security questions, etc.  Nobody broke into BoA to get an email address to spam you in hopes that you will respond and give them the information they already have.

Also, I assume most people out there know this already, but if you ever get anything in an email from a bank, any reputable and safe bank will instruct you to log in using a new window and not clicking on a link, or they will include some type of security information in the email to verify its authenticity.  They will also never send you an email with a blind link (just look at the bottom of the browser as you hover over a link to see where it's *actually* going to take you.

•  

Security Checkpoint: This email includes a Security Checkpoint. The information in this section lets you know this is an authentic communication from Bank of America. Remember to look for your SiteKey every time you sign in to Online Banking.
Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.