Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crooks Are Trying to Steal Your Credit

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Crooks Are Trying to Steal Your Credit

@Anonymous wrote:

I am still shocked, I had no idea until today that people were sending fake email in hopes of getting your account login and other information.

Is this practice widespread or common?

Smiley Very Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 21 of 37
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am still shocked, I had no idea until today that people were sending fake email in hopes of getting your account login and other information.

Is this practice widespread or common?

Smiley Surprised  ( chuckle )
FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 22 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank god a few people got it!

Message 23 of 37
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Kinda makes you wonder sometimes doesn't it? 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 24 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Kinda makes you wonder sometimes doesn't it? 

No really I mean really. In the last few month sI have become really aware how much people do not actually read the threads they respond to.

Message 25 of 37
DI
Super Contributor

I've responded to many threads over the years.   I could've got answers from my very own answers with a little research.  For example, the State Farm inquiry situation.    Had I  hit the search button, I would've known  CLI request results in a hard pull with SF.    But honestly, most of the time, I do not remember everything  I've post over the years. It's hard to remember all 5000+ posts.

Message 26 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not to sound un-friendly or un-respectfull...in General there is no need to remember what you posted in 1000, 5000, or 1,000,000,000 posts if you are always posting the truth without a biased agenda.

Message 27 of 37
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not to sound un-friendly or un-respectfull...in General there is no need to remember what you posted in 1000, 5000, or 1,000,000,000 posts if you are always posting the truth without a biased agenda.

Well after this month, I will no longer be a member of this forum.  Things have changed since my joining in 2008 and actively participating in dicussions since 2009. 

Message 28 of 37
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@DI wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well after this month, I will no longer be a member of this forum.  Things have changed since my joining in 2008 and actively participating in dicussions since 2009. 

Why? What has changed?

Message 29 of 37
mauve
Valued Contributor

1) I'll miss you

2) USMCetc (I don't remember the handle, what I got out of it was a Marine affiliation - oh wait, it's right in the quoted post. Duh.) isn't being confrontational, I don't think.  Thought (s)he was being lightheartedly sarcastic.

It's just always a little shocking when someone as knowledgable as yourself is caught off guard or surprised by something that seems par-for-the course to the rest of us.  Yes, people are regularly trying to find a way to get your financial information, whether it be mass spam emails that pretend they're your bank - if you send a million emails pretending you're BoA, you're likely to find many people who have an account with them.  The ones who don't might flip out and think it's real and someone else opened an account in their name and the ones who do may click on the link and hand over their legit info.  I personally know 2 people (maybe more) who have bought in to the Nigerian prince scam.  I've gotten the ims on FB from a distant acquaintance with the claim that they're desperate for money.  They figured out I was onto them or maybe I wasn't reacting with that much concern and they left me alone - wish I would have kept them on the line longer since that scam usually involves them saying they're stranded in London without a passport and the person whose account they were using LIVES in the UK.  I referenced the scam in this thread where someone from another country responds to your CL ad to sell (your bike / your parakeet / your vintage 8-tracks) and they want to send you a money order for a larger amount.  You're asked to cash the money order and send them the difference.  The money order turns out to be no good a month later and you're out the money you sent them back. 

In any case, I don't think (s)he meant anything hostile by it - it just seemed unusual that someone who's so on top of everything else would be surprised by something that is widely known to happen regularly.

@DI wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.