Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crooks Are Trying to Steal Your Credit

tag
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

Re: Crooks Are Trying to Steal Your Credit

I've heard of emails like this going out.But since I've never received one, like DI, I would have been surprised.

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 31 of 37
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Why announce and wait until the end of the month? 

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 32 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@clocktick wrote:

Why announce and wait until the end of the month? 

One word: Lebron

Message 33 of 37
RozBuds
Regular Contributor

I receive e-mails like this often. I don't ever click on any links. I always go directly to the website for my bank or credit card. Sometimes I will forward to the abuse/spam department of my bank/CC company or will just block and delete. Blocking doesn't do much good as these scammers (which I believe are computer generated) just come up with a better mouse trap. It just seems to be a way of the times. Wish some way, somehow a scamming end was in sight but scammers have been around since the beginning of time. I do keep a very close watch on all of my accounts and I must say the CC companies fraud departments do a very good job also.

RozBuds

Message 34 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I get those Nigerian scams at least twice a month.  I read where this one guy in the U.S. actually scammed the scammer by saying he wanted "in" and said he sent a certified check of $75,000 to a certain Nigerian bank in a city 350 miles away from where the scammer lived.  The scammer was to go to the bank in person and ask for a Mr. Edward Van Halen to get his check.  The scammer actually made the trip, only to say they never heard of Van Halen (their loss.)

Smiley Happy

Message 35 of 37
smc733
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I get those Nigerian scams at least twice a month.  I read where this one guy in the U.S. actually scammed the scammer by saying he wanted "in" and said he sent a certified check of $75,000 to a certain Nigerian bank in a city 350 miles away from where the scammer lived.  The scammer was to go to the bank in person and ask for a Mr. Edward Van Halen to get his check.  The scammer actually made the trip, only to say they never heard of Van Halen (their loss.)

Smiley Happy

Chris Hansen of Dateline (Same guy that does "To Catch a Predator") did this in "To Catch a Scammer", he traveled there, window shopped with the guy, then busted him saying he knew he was a scammer.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 36 of 37
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh, there are MANY people that do this. www.419eater.com is one site completely devoted to this, they have some hilarious stories. 

Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.