Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curious FOREGIN Purchases

tag
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Curious FOREGIN Purchases

SO if you own a mastercard or a visa and you are in mexico and they accept MC and VISA can you use it? since its considered PESOS (mexican money),

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: Curious FOREGIN Purchases

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

SO if you own a mastercard or a visa and you are in mexico and they accept MC and VISA can you use it? since its considered PESOS (mexican money),

You need to look at your credit card agreement closely, or call customer service.  Often banks will charge FT (Foreign Transaction) fees.

Message 2 of 13
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Correct, if your CCC allows transactions in foreign countries then you're all set. Keep in mind there are often fees associiated with transactions in foreign countries(FTF).

Also, the Pesos and USD conversion rate is set by the card network(VISA, MC) which can be found found daily. I usually look up the rate on the Wall Street Journal.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 3 of 13
bs6054
Valued Contributor

So this is the second time I have seen this mentioned today!  Are there really MC/VISA which are restricted to use in the US?   I thought almost by requirement that had to be accepted internationally.

Message 4 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@bs6054 wrote:

So this is the second time I have seen this mentioned today!  Are there really MC/VISA which are restricted to use in the US?   I thought almost by requirement that had to be accepted internationally.

I don't know of any offhand, but I suppose it's possible given the verification process / infrastructure.

I'd have to wonder though why any lender would want this to be the case?  Since they do get some fraction of the transaction fee, and every creditor wants their cards to be used as much as possible (ok within reason), why artificially limit it at all?

I certainly can't imagine there ever being an issue in Mexico in that regard, there'd be screams from both sides of the border if that were the case.

        
Message 5 of 13
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Yes,  The other of life's necessities, cell phones, either need you to opt-in and/or issue warning notices to use internationally, depending on the carrier.  But the difference there is instead of a 3% FTF, roaming fees can be more like 500% for voice or 10,000 or more % for data, so when people returned from Mexico with multi-thousand dollar cell phone bills, requirements were put in place.   Not going to happen for credit cards.

Message 6 of 13
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Another thing to avoid when you are using your card overseas.  Don't have them process the charge in US dollars, have them process it in the local currency.  When they process it in US dollars, it's a sneaky way for them to get more fees.  It's called dynamic currency conversion.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 13
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

There are cards out there that is domestic only. Mostly this is for debt or prepaid Visa/MC card.

Message 8 of 13
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

not a credit card, but i used my boa debit card when i was in mexico. they charged me a 12cent fee to convert 3.86 at starbucks. lemme tell you. didnt taste the same

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 9 of 13
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

The nice thing about BofA debit cards though is that BofA is a member of the Global ATM Alliance, so you can use the withdraw money from partner banks' ATMs in other countries and only get charged the 1% conversion fee.
EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.