Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curious about Barclays "Prime" designation by some

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Curious about Barclays "Prime" designation by some

Hi everyone, I have been reading a lot of people lately referring to their Barclay's card a being "Prime" and "Super-Prime" for some reason and I'm a bit confused.  I'm wondering if I should try to PC from my Juniper card to a better product that everyone seems very happy with (i.e. Apple card).  Can anyone let me know what it is about a Barclay's card that you consider "Prime"???

I'm looking for any combination of:

Good rewards

Low APR

Excellent BT offers

No FTF

Great Customer Service

High Credit Lines

These are my typical criteria when considering the word "prime"... Barclays has, at least in my experience, been none of these things... but since I already have an account open with them (just CLD'd with no explanation, won't fix it without a HP which I won't authorize).... I was hoping one of their other products may be a better fit?

Any suggestions/input?

Thanks everyone!

Message 1 of 71
70 REPLIES 70
Carlile92
Regular Contributor

Re: Curious about Barclays "Prime" designation by some

Well I love the apple card and anything with 12 months interest free is great if you have great credit then you will get a very good cl I got 1000 cl with barely any history recon with them is amazing
Fico's in 500s across all three and one nfcu nrewards card with 2k limit for rebuilding
Message 2 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMO Barclay is entry level Prime, they are a very large CCC and do give out pretty high CL's on some of their Co-Branded cards.

If you're looking at the Apple Card, I do not think you will see super high CL's with that card, because that card is really targeted towards people who want to shop at the Apple Store (yes it's a Visa and can be used anywhere) but it's real intent is for people looking to purchase Apple products.

If you want a higher limit card with Barclay, I have read posts where Members have applied for the "PriceLine Visa" and have been given pretty high CL's, I'm sure there are other Barclay cards you can get with high limits, but as far as the Apple Card, I'd say you should look at other Barclay Cards if you want high CL's 7500+.

All the hype you read around here regarding the "Apple Card" is the recon success people often have, either with having a denial overturned or a CLI upon recon, you will not read many (if any) posts from Members saying  **I just got the Apple Card, with a 10K CL**

This is just my opinion and my opinion only.

(FWIW) I have the Apple 2500CL. I did not mean to app for this card, I had two tabs open, one for the PriceLine and one for the Apple, and I accidentally apped for the Apple (stupid me, I know) amateur mistake at the time, will never happen again.

Best of Luck to you!

Message 3 of 71
KimberH
New Contributor

William Sonoma Signature Visa - it is fairly new. It is great if you shop a lot with William Sonoma (I LOVE that store) - the rewards are great. The signature line gives out higher CLs

"Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into" Ollie
Message 4 of 71
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I would consider "prime" to be any card that offers signifcant CLs, i.e. 10K and above, rather than calling a particular creditor "prime".     Some Cap1 cards are considered prime, although many are rebuilder & starter cards.   Same with HSBC, some people have prime cards, many have rebuilders.  

First Premier and some others do not appear to EVER offer large CLs, so I would classify them as starter/rebuilders.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 71
teenastie
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone, I have been reading a lot of people lately referring to their Barclay's card a being "Prime" and "Super-Prime" for some reason and I'm a bit confused.  I'm wondering if I should try to PC from my Juniper card to a better product that everyone seems very happy with (i.e. Apple card).  Can anyone let me know what it is about a Barclay's card that you consider "Prime"???

I'm looking for any combination of:

Good rewards

Low APR

Excellent BT offers

No FTF

Great Customer Service

High Credit Lines

These are my typical criteria when considering the word "prime"... Barclays has, at least in my experience, been none of these things... but since I already have an account open with them (just CLD'd with no explanation, won't fix it without a HP which I won't authorize).... I was hoping one of their other products may be a better fit?

Any suggestions/input?

Thanks everyone!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I can't speak for other posters but what makes Barclay's a "Prime" issuer are many of the practices that contradict what subprime banks consider customary. Some of which are:

Low v High credit limits: Barclay's have the potential to go 5 figures

Auto CLI's

Customer Service: Heard any happy recon success stories?

BT deals

Good Teaser rates

presence of mobile phone app/ user friendly web interfaces

Absence of AF's

the list goes on regarding the small niches as to why a person considered a CCC "prime" (IMO credit limit is the ultimate factor but other may disagree)

I've seen accounts where people hate Barclay's, Amex, BoA, Chase, HSBC, Cap1, etc for the same reasons listed above. But there are certainly representations regarding why people love Barclay's or any other CCC and would consider their TL "Prime"

The apple Card you are looking into has great teaser rates and offers 0% periodically, but I have not heard any posters report a large (5 figure) credit limit. I've read posts in which posters have received 10k+ on their Barclay's Travelocity, Barnes and Noble Cards, etc but they were paired with a higher interest rate. It is up to you what you want in a card and stick with that!

YMMV Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 71
Carlile92
Regular Contributor

Let's be honest have you ever went to an apple store and seen the prices if you ever want to get say a laptop iPad phone and a apple tv you will need a 5 figure cl lol I want to get Mac pro not the laptop the tower which is like 2000 to start so yes they give nice cl they base your limit off what you want to buy and your credit if you have amazing credit and want a lot of stuff and tell the recon agent that they will give you cl that you need and I look at it like this if you get an apple card and build a 5000 cl with just that when you go for other better cards getting a super high cl is more likely because you already manage a decent limit well. I bought an iPad with 1000 cl and will be paying it off very quickly and when I do I will be calling in for a cli and don't see how they can deny it but am wondering what could I request
Fico's in 500s across all three and one nfcu nrewards card with 2k limit for rebuilding
Message 7 of 71
john398
Senior Contributor

The apple card has high intreast and no rewards however does have that 0% financing so I dont think you should be looking to switch considering you are looking for

Good rewards

Low APR

Message 8 of 71
Carlile92
Regular Contributor

Yes it does have a high interest rate but I don't use it for anything but apple purchases so that does not bother me because 12 months interest free I use my discover for all my daily purchases so no need for apple card to see anything but. Apple products
Message 9 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Carlile92 wrote:
Let's be honest have you ever went to an apple store and seen the prices if you ever want to get say a laptop iPad phone and a apple tv you will need a 5 figure cl lol I want to get Mac pro not the laptop the tower which is like 2000 to start so yes they give nice cl they base your limit off what you want to buy and your credit if you have amazing credit and want a lot of stuff and tell the recon agent that they will give you cl that you need and I look at it like this if you get an apple card and build a 5000 cl with just that when you go for other better cards getting a super high cl is more likely because you already manage a decent limit well. I bought an iPad with 1000 cl and will be paying it off very quickly and when I do I will be calling in for a cli and don't see how they can deny it but am wondering what could I request

Smiley Sad  I think I need to have a few beers before attempting to comprehend this.  Thanks for your thoughts, though!

And thanks to everyone else for the input.. it seems to kinda confirm my initial feelings that people are posting about their apple card being "Prime" because it's their first non-subprime card and they are excited.  I agree that it doesn't seem to offer any of the things prime cards offer.. but are suited for those looking to only purchase certain things from certain companies at certain times... Not what I am looking for, by any means.  To me, a company that rejects people or gives really low starting CLs, then changes their minds when pestered enough, is not "excellent customer service"... I think I may have been a little short sighted with th "excellent CS..." comment.  I guess I should have mentioned things more along the lines of American call centers, understandable and educated CSRs, auto-CLI's, immediate dispute resolution, complimentary overnighting of replacement cards, etc... Hopefully that clears it up a little bit.

The PriceLine option sounds intriguing... The Williams-Sonoma, not so much.  I can't imagine trying to justify owning a credit card that only benefits you if you buy really expensive kitchen stuff?  Don't really see that as useful/effective except maybe a one-time deal, but even then you can buy it on a regular card and transfer to a 0% or low APR BT offer if necessary...  Then again, I do see the attractiveness for the Apple or WS card for those people who are really into that sort of thing and can make it worthwhile.

Thanks again, everyone!

Message 10 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.