Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curious about upcoming Disney trip

tag
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

Curious about upcoming Disney trip

So DW and I are heading to the happiest place on earth for a late honeymoon. Already booked hotel and park tickets. I know I can switch card payment for hotel when I check in (which I might do). But for spending in the park, what cards does everyone use to either maximize cash back or points? 

Side note, I added GreenState MC that will give me 5x points on hotel so that might be my hotel room card. 

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Curious about upcoming Disney trip

@1GaDawg85 wrote:

So DW and I are heading to the happiest place on earth for a late honeymoon. Already booked hotel and park tickets. I know I can switch card payment for hotel when I check in (which I might do). But for spending in the park, what cards does everyone use to either maximize cash back or points? 

Side note, I added GreenState MC that will give me 5x points on hotel so that might be my hotel room card. 

You might figure out what your best dining card will be.

I used to take cash from friends and relatives and run their overpriced merchandise through a Citi Prestige for Price Rewind, splitting the savings with them. Sadly no longer an option.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 24
acreditdummy123
Regular Contributor

the best would probably be trying to eat outside of the park to save money than getting some cashback haha

❤️ Am a peaceful, positive person. Credit scores: Amazing and higher than most. AAoA: Superb. No lates. No delinquencies.

The past is the past. I'm a completely new person now as of 3/6/23
Message 3 of 24
md_rebuild
Regular Contributor

Went to DW for a week 2 years ago with wife and 3 kids.   Dining was defintely the biggest expense (drinks and a snack for us while waiting in line at 1 ride was over $50).   We had the Disney band and used that for all our in-park purchases.   It all got charged to 1 credit card.

BK7: Discharged Sept 2019
2/25/24:

Message 4 of 24
Lou-natic
Established Contributor

To be fair the last time I had fast food it was over $12 for a Cheeseburger combo meal and I didn't even have to go to Disney for that "experience".

3/3/24
Message 5 of 24
CL-Addiq
New Contributor

Food at ballparks sometimes codes as entertainment and sometimes as dining so I tend to use my C1 Savor One which guarantees 3% either way. CCC sometimes covers all bases at 5% too. I think theme parks are included in the entertainment category for both, but less sure about CCC.

Goals: Wishes:
Message 6 of 24
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

Many "touristy" places take mobile payments these days.  For my last 3 trips, I heavily used my US Bank Altitude Reserve.  That card receives 3x points per dollar spent on mobile payments which can then be redeemed for 1.5x for travel.  So, I consider that to be 4.5% rewards for travel redemptions. 

The beauty of mobile payments is that the normal merchant category code is not relevant.  I don't worry about dining vs hotel vs entertainment vs gift shop.  They are all 3x as mobile payments on Altitude Reserve.

April 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver
FICO8:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 12 mos | New Accounts: 0/6, 0/12, 2/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 7 of 24
ngoaa
New Contributor

Do you have a Sam's Club or BJ Wholesale Membership? Buy discounted Disney gift cards next month with your Discover It. 

Message 8 of 24
reluctantgarden
Frequent Contributor

If you have a 3% dining card, use it for all food and beverage, except snacks in retail stores, and a 2% catchall for everything else. Obviously this is only if you don't have any others better in specific categories.

Message 9 of 24
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Curious about upcoming Disney tri

I use my Delta Gold for 2x miles on restaurants.  I was just at Disney in November and again last week.

The free Seattle-Orlando reward flights were covered thanks in no smart part by miles received from the ridiculous Disney prices.  Already booked free travel to return in October... it helps ease the pain of paying $75 for 2 cheeseburgers/fries with a weak cocktail to wash it down.  😂😂

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.