Did you mean: 

Current Amex Plat holder considering the new Delta Skymiles Reserve

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Current Amex Plat holder considering the new Delta Skymiles Reserve

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I was wondering if you have any information on how frequent seat class upgrades are for people with the card.  The card doesn't work for me, as we do few if any US domestic flights together. 

Another thread suggested not much unless at awkward flight times.  You're behind even Silver Medallion which ain't hard to get if you fly even a handful of times a year apparently.

On the flipside I doubt it'd even be a thing if Delta didn't have spare seats there on a semi-regular basis to offer but if you're on Delta's equivalent of the old school nerd bird, newp.

OK, I guess I can remove it as a goal card. 

Message 11 of 16
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@PointsBonus wrote:

I am personally keeping both, here are my reasons below.

I was wondering if you have any information on how frequent seat class upgrades are for people with the card.  The card doesn't work for me, as we do few if any US domestic flights together. 

I do not use the upgrades, nor have I have received one.  I always end up paying for Economy and upgrade to Comfort + with my platinum card, and Fly first class once a year. 

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PointsBonus wrote:

3. THE PLATINUM CUSTOMER SERVICE - BY FAR THE BEST !! I call 1 Number and that is the Platinum line for ANY issues with any of my cards. I made the mistake of calling the Gold line, ONE time, never again. To me, the Platinum Customer service line and the crew is worth $550.

I agree the Platinum customer service is wonderful. I wonder what "type" you'd get if you called the number on the Delta Reserve card.

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KJinNC wrote:

Personally, I feel a little sheepish about the AFs I am paying to Amex each year, though I know the math is on my side. So, I know it can be a bitter pill to add a $550 AF card on top of another $550 AF card, but it really might make sense for you. Either way, good luck!

I agree. I think it is just the amount of the annual fees I am paying to Amex that is making me "sheepish". I am currently leaning towards adding the Delta Reserve and keeping the Platinum. I have a couple more months to mull it over before the current awesome SUB goes away.

Message 14 of 16
NRB525
Super Contributor

If you don't value the hotel status from the Platinum, and your airline spend is almost exclusively Delta, and you value the companion pass at $1k, then the Reserve makes more sense.

The Companion Pass is only after the first year, but once that is available, it adds the biggest value from the Reserve. The SUB alone would lead me to re-app, but sadly I have not reincarnated yet to be eligible for the SUB. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 15 of 16
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Happy to see this thread discussion.. .I'm always comparing having both an Amex Platinum and Delta Reserve card.  I also can never bring myself to make that decision.  Hilton Aspire takes care of my hotel status, Amex Platinum is for the lounges and 5x earnings on flights (When not using CSR.) This Delta Reserve offer, companion certificate, and MQD's are extremely tempting.  It's a big pill to swallow though adding another $550 AF.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.