Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current Amex customer Prequal

tag
allegra37
Valued Member

Current Amex customer Prequal

Hello,

I have an amex cash preferred and i also want to get gold card. I red some threads and it was saying soft pull. Where do you guys apply for soft pull additional amex cards ? App or Browser ? If I apply for business will it be soft pull ?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Current Amex customer Prequal

I applied two (personal) Amex cards that resulted in soft pull, and both were done in web browser from my computer.

I'm not sure about businesses cards since I haven't applied for any. But my speculation is as a current Amex customer you would get a soft pull approval if you are preapproved for the card while a hard pull after approval if you are not preapproved. Did it say you are preapproved if you open up a business card application?
Message 2 of 17
allegra37
Valued Member

Business cards didnt show any pre-approved and its asking to fill out info. But i just checked right now gold card shows preapproved on personal cards menu.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long have you been an Amex cardmember?  

Message 4 of 17
allegra37
Valued Member

It has been 3 months as personal card.

Message 5 of 17
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

I can say for certain that if you apply and get turned down, it's a SP only. Ask me how I know Smiley Wink

Not sure if they do a HP if they approve you, but if so, it will at least be a HP well-spent. Good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KJinNC wrote:

I can say for certain that if you apply and get turned down, it's a SP only. Ask me how I know Smiley Wink

Not sure if they do a HP if they approve you, but if so, it will at least be a HP well-spent. Good luck!

+1

I May have attempted a few apps since I got my Gold Card.  1 business and 1 personal, both denials and both SP's.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I generally check the prequal page and then it asks me to sign in since I'm already an Amex member. It'll take you to cards your pre-qualified for. My general understanding is as follows... If you're pre-qualified for a cash back card, you can probably get all cash back card. If you're pre-qualified for MR cards, you can generally get all MR cards. And if you're quified for any of their revolvers you are more than likely set for their charge cards.

I applied for my Amex Everyday in this manner and it was only a soft pull. One of the best parts about being an Amex member in my opinion.
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doesn't matter which method you use other than if you want a higher bonus upon approval.

Key things to look for when you click the APPLY button:

"you're pre-approved" = SP

"expand your membership" = HP

Now the incognito method... for your card in question is offering 50K/$2K spend vs 35K when just a normal browser window.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/?category=all

Now, if you're pre-approved for 1 card you're typically pre-approved for all of the cards.  IF you don't have a specific need for Gold w/ $250 AF then look at the other offers and find something that fits better.

Message 9 of 17
allegra37
Valued Member

Did anyone try to apply for a business card as an existing customer (Personal card holder)?

What was the result SP or HP ?

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.