cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current situation and what credit moves might you make?

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Current situation and what credit moves might you make?

Given current events I'm wondering how those in the line of fire will alter their credit plans. I'll probably close cards with high AFs due to cut back in travel. However, something else I was considering is if there is a lockdown and my cashflow gets drastically slowed that I should probably pick up a card with a 0% APR offer. Which cards would you recommend for that? Discover It? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Current situation and what credit moves might you make?

I broke even so far on my travel cards. Should be fine for another year. If all else fails, my sapphire is a 3% cash back dining card for now. 

No big changes. Just gardening 

Message 2 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

No plans at this time but I just opened a card about 3 weeks ago, CFU. I'm going to run up the balance using the 0% promo, but my intention is not to do that due to COVID-19. I would have done it anyway. It will be interesting to see how Chase handles high spend with me w/minimum payments during these times. I don't expect anything negative though. They seem less jumpy this time, but they know me better (they called to verify transactions a few times when I did this the first time in 2017).

Chase has a 15 mo 0 which isn't bad. The nice thing about DISCOVER IT is they can be used for petty cash withdrawals interest and fee free (cash over feature). 

Message 3 of 42
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Yeah I agree, the Discover , Citi and BofA CCs are great for having the option of depositing cash in to your bank account.

The US bank Business Flex Perks has some nice BT offers. Plus it allows you to carry a balance off the grid, if you so choose to. Their business cards are very easy to obtain. No hoop jumping. 1.99% transfer fee 0% for 15 months.

Their business cards normally have several BT offers to choose from at any given time.

Message 4 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have no plans being changed. Still gardening for the Cash+. 

So far all of my cards are intact and I don't expect to receive any AA but I am prepared to move the little balances I have to NFCU if I have to. 

Message 5 of 42
Kforce
Valued Contributor

I would not do anything to make your current lenders worry about you or look at your accounts.

No CL seeking, no new cards, no balance transfers, no extra large spend, etc.

Use them but don't make them look.

Blend in like a:

Chameleon_50S.jpg

Message 6 of 42
blindambition
Senior Contributor

I got a Saver One in January. Carrying about $1500 from surgery. The 0% for 15mo will get me through. Along with a no fee BT Platinum from DCU. In save mode, but got options. No apps until end of year, USBank Cash Plus. I'll be down to 2/12.

Message 7 of 42
Andypanda
Established Contributor

Like some other poster mentioned, don't want to burn any creditors, things will ckear up eventully, and I'm playing the long game. Like people havecsaid all over mf, credit is a marathon, not a sprint, this is just a unfortunate bump in the road.

Message 8 of 42
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Business as usual here. Not closing cards with or without annual fees. The situations we're all facing shall pass. Planes will fly again, hotels will reopen...it may be a little longer than most of us prefer but normalcy will return.

It is my hope that to restore the trust of the public that it's safe to take to the sky again that we see some awesome mileage/point redemptions or at least lower fares.

Message 9 of 42
icednightpaper
Regular Contributor

I wanted to take advantage of elevated Delta AMEX offers and pick up a Platinum or Gold. After careful evaluation (which of course includes a guess at how long the world will be closed), I'm instead shifting towards the CS Plat. I'd get more long term value from it and I always intended to pick it up.

My only hangup is never seeing such a high Delta AMEX offer again but I don't needlessly want to get too many cards.
Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.