Curve Card - Still in Beta...accepting applications via invite

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Curve Card - Still in Beta...accepting applications via invite

@Alephbet wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

I'm hoping there's a misunderstanding about the card not working at drugstores/pharmacies.  If that's the case, this product is going to wither and die on the vine before it even gets started.

I understand the business reason for disallowing merchants such as Raise, tax payments, etc. but not allowing run-of-the-mill retail purchases like drugstores is nuts.  If I have to consult a cheatsheet to see if the card will work at the store I'm currently at I just won't bother.

Circling back around on this... I've used the Curve card at Walgreens several times the last two weeks with no problems.  If there was an issue before it must have been resolved.

Further, the MCC also carried over correctly.  I had Curve set up to use my Freedom Flex, and once the dust settled I got 3% cash back on the Walgreens transactions from Chase. 

Somewhat related (and possibly already mentioned somewhere else) I'm also getting 5% back at Walmart on FF transactions that originate via Curve... Chase is really good at 'seeing' who the actual merchant is even when using Curve or Paypal.

That's good to hear that it's working at drugstores now! Do you have smart rules setup to use the Freedom Flex? I have smart rules setup but have really only been using the Curve to go straight through to my Aeroplan card for dining and groceries and occassionaly go back in time on something that doesn't code for 3X on the Aeroplan card. The last time I tried a few months back, it didn't seem like smart rules were functional and the charge went to my default card regardless of the rules.

I had smart rules set up right at first, but since I'm using the card (almost) exclusively at Walmart I tend to leave it set for everything to hit my Freedom Flex.  For the few times I've wanted a charge to hit another card I simply make a quick change in the app, then change it back when the purchase is finished.

For what it's worth, the short time I tried using the smart rules everything worked as expected, although I admit I didn't try this feature extensively.  Most of my 'heavy hitter' cards are on the Visa and Amex networks which limits how useful the Curve card can be for me.

Message 111 of 150
Alephbet
Regular Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

I had smart rules set up right at first, but since I'm using the card exclusively at Walmart I tend to leave it set for everything to hit my Freedom Flex.  For the few times I've wanted a charge to hit another card I simply make a quick change in the app, then change it back when the purchase is finished.

For what it's worth, the short time I tried using the smart rules everything worked as expected, although I admit I didn't try this feature extensively.  Most of my 'heavy hitter' cards are on the Visa and Amex networks which limits how useful the Curve card can be for me.

I understand. That makes sense. That's basically exactly my situation as well. The Curve card would be perfect for a Citi setup. I will test the smart rules again and see if they work right for me.

Bold are regularly used for spending
AOD Visa Signature | Curve Card | X1 Credit Card | Target RedCard | Venmo Card
AMEX: Schwab Platinum | 2 x Gold | Green | 2 x Business Platinum | 2 x Business Gold | Blue Business Plus
AMEX: Amazon Business Prime | Delta Reserve | Delta Reserve Business | Marriott Bonvoy Business
Chase: Aeroplan | Amazon Prime | World of Hyatt | World of Hyatt Business | Marriott Bonvoy Boundless
Chase: Ink Business Cash | Ink Business Preferred | Southwest Performance Business
BofA: Alaska Airlines Business | Business Advantage Customized Cash Rewards
Citi AAdvantage Executive | Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Business
U.S. Bank Business Triple Cash Rewards | U.S. Bank Business Platinum | GM Business Card
Apple Card | Navy Federal Flagship Rewards | PenFed Gold | PenFed Platinum Rewards
Capital One Platinum | Capital One QuicksilverOne | FNBO Evergreen Business
Player 2: Delta Platinum AMEX | Chase Freedom | 2 x Chase Freedom Flex | Apple Card
Message 112 of 150
yourficouser
Contributor

Anyone able to download a pdf statement in the iOS app? If so, how? I still have to email them for my statement monthly. Thanks!

Message 113 of 150
CreditCobra
Regular Contributor

@yourficouser wrote:

Anyone able to download a pdf statement in the iOS app? If so, how? I still have to email them for my statement monthly. Thanks!

I've found no way to get a statement form Curve.

Current Cards:

Stats (updated: 4/21/2024):

Message 114 of 150
yourficouser
Contributor

I see, thank you. Fwiw you can email them and they will send you one.

Message 115 of 150
RootDet
Established Contributor

I will give you all a warning. Be extremely careful and check every single time what the default card is in the curve app.  I had a situation where the default card got changed to curve credit. I had routing set in place for retail to go to a specific card. The routing didn't happen, they charged it to the curve credit line. This happened to 4 different merchants all day, just about exhausting that $500 credit line. 

You CANNOT move purchases from the curve credit line. Additionally, you HAVE to give them your debit card to pay it back. 

I reached out to support, but they didn't care that the routing rule existed, and the system ignored it. They had an "oh well" attitude and didn't even care about the feature of moving purchases, which somehow does not apply to the curve credit. It must be fine print somewheres. Support was terrible, no check payments, nothing. 

So ticked off at Curve, I locked the card and chucked it in the back of my safe until they close it. The first day I brought it out, they screwed me over and forced me to exposure my debit card. Zero confidence in their operation. Some how I am to blame for their system screw-up. Go figure. 

Message 116 of 150
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@RootDet wrote:

I will give you all a warning. Be extremely careful and check every single time what the default card is in the curve app.  I had a situation where the default card got changed to curve credit. I had routing set in place for retail to go to a specific card. The routing didn't happen, they charged it to the curve credit line. This happened to 4 different merchants all day, just about exhausting that $500 credit line

You CANNOT move purchases from the curve credit line. Additionally, you HAVE to give them your debit card to pay it back

I reached out to support, but they didn't care that the routing rule existed, and the system ignored it. They had an "oh well" attitude and didn't even care about the feature of moving purchases, which somehow does not apply to the curve credit. It must be fine print somewheres. Support was terrible, no check payments, nothing. 

So ticked off at Curve, I locked the card and chucked it in the back of my safe until they close it. The first day I brought it out, they screwed me over and forced me to exposure my debit card. Zero confidence in their operation. Some how I am to blame for their system screw-up. Go figure. 

Thanks for the heads up. 

I don't have this particular FinTech product, although when it first launched it seemed somewhat interesting even though predecessor platforms had tried something very similar, but without much success.

Is the default or defacto CL $500 for everyone? That would be 💩 if the scenario described above ended up with unearned rewards by having to use a Debit card to pay for transactions above the [$500] limit if the mechanism fails to select the appropriate card.

For those who have the product, do the T&C cover the above scenarios?

Message 117 of 150
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

I just downloaded the app and went thru the process. Mine said "Curve will NOT conduct a hard pull against my credit", and I didn't get any alerts of a pull when I submitted it. They might have changed this recently - just sharing the data point

Screen Shot 2022-12-24 at 11.01.37 PM.png

Message 118 of 150
sarchin
Valued Member

@credit_is_crack same thing happened to me yesterday.  I pulled the trigger expecting to see an option to accept like if a soft pull was approved but instead it went right to interest rate and CL.  I waited all day for a HP alert but didn't get any.

Starting Score: ~670
Current Score:~684
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 119 of 150
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@credit_is_crack wrote:

I just downloaded the app and went thru the process. Mine said "Curve will NOT conduct a hard pull against my credit", and I didn't get any alerts of a pull when I submitted it. They might have changed this recently - just sharing the data point

Screen Shot 2022-12-24 at 11.01.37 PM.png

@credit_is_crack, since you and @sarchin were the two most recent applicants, what CL did Curve assign, if you don't mind? Just curious.

Message 120 of 150
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.