cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCU Visa Platinum Rewards Credit Card, how to earn/redeem rewards?

tag
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: DCU Visa Platinum Rewards Credit Card, how to earn/redeem rewards?

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@Christina_xyt wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

My point was you do not need the cc for a free score. The rewards are terrible and if you just wanted another TL, go for the no reward cc. 

Oh interesting, i can just open a checking account for the free score? Can I open the account online or do i have to go to the credit union to do so?

You can open it on-line, easy peasy Smiley Happy

...not so easy peasy... I got turned down for membership after sending in various documents for verification Smiley Sad

Message 11 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Christina_xyt wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@Christina_xyt wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

My point was you do not need the cc for a free score. The rewards are terrible and if you just wanted another TL, go for the no reward cc. 

Oh interesting, i can just open a checking account for the free score? Can I open the account online or do i have to go to the credit union to do so?

It's a hp for membership 

They will hp for opening a checking account? Or they do the hp for signing up for the free score?

They will hp for opening a checking account/membership. 

Message 12 of 23
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Definitely agree with what was said earlier by lg8302ch. Sometimes it's incredibly easy for one to get in, but for some it's not. (in fact, it's incredibly time consuming and frustrating.) There is no rhyme nor reason as to why that is the way it is.
Message 13 of 23
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@Christina_xyt wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

You can open it on-line, easy peasy Smiley Happy

...not so easy peasy... I got turned down for membership after sending in various documents for verification Smiley Sad

Well, yeah, true :/ that's the rub. I could have sworn the OP has membership already, just does not have the checking account yet!

Message 14 of 23
destine2grow
Frequent Contributor

I am considering opening a DCU checking account next year and possibly applying for a CC for the low APR. Is there a particular CS You need for the checking account? Also for the CC what CS are they looking for? Currently my EQ is 644.

Message 15 of 23
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

I opened a DCU free checking/savings accounts a week or so ago, but just received the pin on 8/1 which is needed to log in for the first time. I then signed up for the free FICO scores. Anyone know when I should expect my first free score?

Also, I read something about transferring money to DCU being free, but transfering out has a fee? Does that affect paying credit cards using check routing numbers? Or is it just if I wanted to do a bank to bank account transfer that they charge a fee? It seems sorts anti-bank to charge for that sort of thing, and makes it preferrable to NOT keep large sums of money in those accounts if I can't freely transfer the funds to other bank accounts as needed.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 16 of 23
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Themanwhocan wrote:

I opened a DCU free checking/savings accounts a week or so ago, but just received the pin on 8/1 which is needed to log in for the first time. I then signed up for the free FICO scores. Anyone know when I should expect my first free score?

Also, I read something about transferring money to DCU being free, but transfering out has a fee? Does that affect paying credit cards using check routing numbers? Or is it just if I wanted to do a bank to bank account transfer that they charge a fee? It seems sorts anti-bank to charge for that sort of thing, and makes it preferrable to NOT keep large sums of money in those accounts if I can't freely transfer the funds to other bank accounts as needed.

Last Friday of the month, unless it gets delayed (occasionally happens).  Just missed the window for this go around.

It's bank to bank transfers which the fees occur on on their Cash Edge product: if you ACH money into the account on their normal 3ish day timing, works fine.  I haven't used my DCU checking account for an electronic payment via ACH but I have to assume since I've never gotten charged for that from either BOFA or Chase, that DCU certainly wouldn't either.  It is patently unlikely.

Should be documented, certainly is on the Chase / BOFA side and they will charge for using ACH inbound for a bank to bank transfer.  Note this is specific to generating an ACH request in their interface... I don't know why this is frankly, seems like an old holdover from when there were humans involved in this sort of thing but virtually every account is setup with language in this fashion.  Something else the industry moves away from I hope someday, holding people hostage via fees is a lousy way to do business in my opinion.  Only one I've found who doesn't care at all is USAA where ACH in or out on usual 3 business day timing, no fees at all, though I haven't taken a look at the Alliant accounts I now have, they may be better but I just use USAA if for some reason I have to shuffle money around back to my Chase account but that doesn't happen often, or at least hasn't in the past few years.

        
Message 17 of 23
creditfan
Established Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

you can pay your cc using their bill payer feature. It's the same fuction like any other banks w/o charge

instead you incur a fee for transferring out, you make withdrawls from your linked external accounts

Message 18 of 23
creditfan
Established Contributor

@Christina_xyt wrote:

Simply want this card for free EQ score.. Would be good if it offers some sort of rewards..

On the site, it says "

• Earn points on every purchase
  • Redeem for travel, merchandise, gift cards, and more"

So is it like 1% rate reward points?

and what does it mean redeem for travel/merchandise? as statement credit? and more? what more?

Hopefully people who currently have this card could maybe illustrate a bit more for me. Thanks! Smiley Happy

I have their reward cc, but I rarely use it because I'm busy with others better cc reward. so don't really have any experience how to redeem their rewards

intentionally open for score purpose

Message 19 of 23
kalani91
Contributor

I have their non rewards card, they gave me my lowest APR. Take the non rewards one ... One of the best things I like about their cards are no cash advanced fees!

EX 724 ,NFCU Cash Rewards 7k DCU Plat 4.1k, Discover IT 2.5k Chase Freedom 2k. . Cap1 Plat $1.5k, Cap1 QS 1k, , Wells fargo 1.5k, Paypal 1.5k
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.