Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCU credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DCU credit card?

Hi!

I recentely moved to the US and my credit file is no longer than 1 year, I started with a boa secured card and I've been opening new accounts (capital one, best buy , pay pal and discover). I have a FICO of 631 (according to Discover) which I think is EQ.

I'm a DCU member for almost 10 months and I have a secure loan with them ($200)  which I'll ve paying off next month, I did it mainly for credit building purposes, I'm thinking on applying to their credit card as fees seem to be pretty good and I heard some ppl are getting preety good CL's.

My score is not that high due to recent inquiries and mid utilization (about 55%) other than that I have 100% on time payments, has anyone apply in similar circumstances? I'm hesitating and I don't know if  I should wait for my score to go up. This friday I will get my FICO update (from DCU) actually , my uytilization % has gone down so I'm expecting a better score but I'm not aiming to high.

What do you guys think ? Should I apply?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: DCU credit card?

Welcome to the forum 

Sorry you didn't get help so let's see can we get some DCU answers 

Good luck 

Bump for help

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 12
dave024
New Contributor

I was denied a DCU visa earlier this month, which surprised me as I thought they were relatively easy to get. My credit score was 735. I think the reasons were high utilization and high unsecured debt to income. Both of those were around 50%.

Message 3 of 12
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

i got approved recently for a DCU Visa with a nice CL but it was mainly due to very low utilization. My current scores are in my sig so I don't see why you wouldn't be approved

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, for the warm welcoming! I recentely registered but been reading the forum for a few months now,  it is really helpful!

Well, Dave has a much higher score  than I do and about the same utilization, so I think maybe I should wait a month or two to apply, I think I'll get my utilization down to 20-30% next month so I might have a better chance.

Thank you guys!

Message 5 of 12
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you, for the warm welcoming! I recentely registered but been reading the forum for a few months now,  it is really helpful!

Well, Dave has a much higher score  than I do and about the same utilization, so I think maybe I should wait a month or two to apply, I think I'll get my utilization down to 20-30% next month so I might have a better chance.

Thank you guys!

You should be approved now....

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 6 of 12
dave024
New Contributor

@1GaDawg85 wrote:

You should be approved now....

That seems a little optimistic considering my score was 100 points higher with the same % utilization and I got denied. Income and overall unsecured debt to income could be another big factor. If you can bring down the utilization by waiting a month and you don't need the card for any other reason it may be a good idea to wait a little while.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both, I agree I think I'll wait  that might help to get a better rate / CL.

Thanks!

Message 8 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi!

I recentely moved to the US and my credit file is no longer than 1 year, I started with a boa secured card and I've been opening new accounts (capital one, best buy , pay pal and discover). I have a FICO of 631 (according to Discover) which I think is EQ.

I'm a DCU member for almost 10 months and I have a secure loan with them ($200)  which I'll ve paying off next month, I did it mainly for credit building purposes, I'm thinking on applying to their credit card as fees seem to be pretty good and I heard some ppl are getting preety good CL's.

My score is not that high due to recent inquiries and mid utilization (about 55%) other than that I have 100% on time payments, has anyone apply in similar circumstances? I'm hesitating and I don't know if  I should wait for my score to go up. This friday I will get my FICO update (from DCU) actually , my uytilization % has gone down so I'm expecting a better score but I'm not aiming to high.

What do you guys think ? Should I apply?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. DCU can be generous but they will be looking at your high util, thin credit file and recent inq's. I would suggest waiting until your util is much lower and app once your most recent cc has been reporting for at least 6 mos 

Message 9 of 12
Ragelog
Established Contributor

I agree wait it out. I was approved for their best auto refinance rate and still was denied for a credit card due to high number of inquiries and recent new accounts. Fortunately my utilization was low like 10-15% but that wasn't enough. The lady on the phone though in about 6 months I would be able to get approved.

EQ04 675, EQ08 676, EX08 719, TU08 703 $12704.75/$123050 Revolving Credit (All 0% or 1.99%) - In Garden Since 5/25/2016

Last negative item should fall off in July 2017.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.