Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DENY....APPROVE....APPROVE--OMG!

tag
ontop
Regular Contributor

Re: DENY....APPROVE....APPROVE--OMG!

Congrats, I understand your excitement. Me too, when USAA denied me, I felt so bad that I have to open a thread here to vent it out. But after that denied, seem like I got approved everywhere with the other major creditors. I completely forgot USAA already.. until I see this thread that refresh my memory once again. Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: 547
Current FICO Score: TU 747, EQ 732, EX 742 [10/2014]
Goal FICO Score: 777
Message 11 of 21
NikJ4
Established Contributor

Rock on! Congrats. I feel ya on the AMEX from college. I did mine in also in 1993. Cant wait to get back in good with them. I miss them so much. Just didnt know how sweet it was. Thanks for giving me hope. I am working to pay down my utlization to see if this will help my scores. I think I can get up in the 600's with paying down stuff. Again, Congrats!!!

Message 12 of 21
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

I have a Cap One card that I was at 95% utilization on, but never late with payments. After reading about utilization, I paid it down to 20% (which is still high) and kept it like that for Sept. and Oct. I changed my statement date to revolve around my payday on the first of the month, and timed my payment so that it posted the day before the statment closed. My score jumped like 50 pts when the lesser utilization reported. I also have a car loan that I took out in March of this year that I've never been late on and I just received a WalMart card (not the Discover just the store) last month and that has a zero balance. On all reports the baddies are a charged off HSBC card (its paid off with a zero balance). On the EQ report only there are 2 state tax liens (they are satisfied but just showing on EQ. I was able to get them removed from EX and TU...EQ won't remove them). That's it. I think I'm finally understanding the variables to credit and how all of the variables factor into my score. I've seen it first hand. I am praying that AmEx backdates my card because it would do wonders for my AAoA because right now the CapOne is showing asmy oldest account and I've had that for just over a year. The car loan is 8 months and the WalMart card is 1 month. I seriously thought I was blacklisted from AmEx because the card from college was screwed beyond belief and even went into collections (Boy was I dumb back then. I had no idea what I had at the time.) I paid the collections account eons ago but just assumed AmEx was a no go. As I got older and wiser (but still not as credit savvy as I am now), I seee that AmEx is "the card". So naturally, I wanted back in. If the card isn't backdated I'm almost afraid to ask for fear that my approval was a computer glitch and when the system finally catches up they'll remember how I screwed them years ago and that will prompt a revised denial decision. But alas, I did receive the confirmation e-mail which I keep staring at on my phone because I'm still in shock. So yes, the hard work has paid off.
Message 13 of 21
Cotton_Britches
Frequent Contributor

@jasimae wrote:

Hey Guys.

I just can't believe this.  I'm still in la-la land over what just transpired over the last 30 minutes.  I've been watching my scores like a hawk.  They're improving but no where near where I want them to be.  My FICO EQ is 659, FICO TU is 653 and USAA EXP (FAKO) says 628.  Well, I've been hoping and wishing I could get a better credit card, so I said what the hec.  Several folks on these boards have gotten cards so I figured I'd give it a go.  I apped for the USAA Platinum MC and was DENIED.  My heart dropped.  I was so deflated.  They pulled EQ (which has the two paid tax liens showing).  I figured, what the hey...let's just get it out of my system and do all the apps to all the cards that I've ever desired.  So I pulled the trigger and apped for Discover More. Cha-ching....APPROVED!  I nearly passed out.  I was literally frozen on my sofa from disbelief.  I got an approval and a message telling me to call in and verify my information and I did.....CL-----$2750.  Well...I was so ecstatic I decided to app for the Zync.  I had a Green AmEx that I screwed up in college (1993 to be exact).  I pulled the AmEx trigger and CHA-CHA-CHA-CHA-CHING.  APPROVED!  My world is ROCKED TONIGHT baby!  I'm SOOOOOO happy.  I never ever ever (did I say ever?) thought I would ever have two prime cards in my wallet ever.  For some reason I just thought I'd be reading about and living vicariously through everyone else's successes.  But not anymore BABY.  My fiance' is telling me...don't app for anything else.  I'm not.  I don't need to.  I mean, my scores aren't even that great.  I guess it was just my time.  MY TIME....YES.  THANKS to MyFico and everyone on these boards who shared their stories of encouragement and credit.  I'M STOKED RIGHT NOW!

Which credit bureau did Discover pull and which one did AmEx pull?

Congrats! Smiley Very Happy

“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you not recon the USAA??

Congratulations on everything else Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't be concerned when you first see the card itself, because you have no other open Amex cards it will more than likely say "Member Since 11".  The date that matters is the one that shows on the online access, that's the one that will be reported.  If the online account is not backdated and you have a record of the old account number you can call and ask.  Because you paid the CO it shouldn't be an issue. Some people have been approved and backdated recently without having paid the old CO. You can also order a replacement card if you would like it imprinted with the correct date.

Message 16 of 21
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

AmEx pulled EX.  Discover and USAA pulled EQ.  I thought Discover would pull TU, but then again, I haven't checked my TU report yet.

Message 17 of 21
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

From what I've read on the boards there really is no recon number for USAA.  I seriously wanted to recon with them because I thought about saying "well Discover and AmEx approved me, so I think if they trust me.....".  But alas, there would be no recon with USAA.  But really, I'm totally content with what I have and what I have achieved.  Although my aim now is to garden until March, when I app for the house.  Again, just praying hard for some backdating love from AmEx.

Message 18 of 21
waqaszm1
Regular Contributor

as for your USAA app, i would call them and ask them to re-consider. ask to speak to an underwriter; that probably won't happen but somebody in Card services will probably act as a go-between you and the underwriter. they may approve you ... try it and let us know. it worked for me !

Message 19 of 21
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't be concerned when you first see the card itself, because you have no other open Amex cards it will more than likely say "Member Since 11".  The date that matters is the one that shows on the online access, that's the one that will be reported.  If the online account is not backdated and you have a record of the old account number you can call and ask.  Because you paid the CO it shouldn't be an issue. Some people have been approved and backdated recently without having paid the old CO. You can also order a replacement card if you would like it imprinted with the correct date.

The online access note is not entirely accurate. I assume it was intended to apply to former personal cards only. 

My Online Access says 2008 (from a corporate AmEx, which I used to sign up for online access). But my personal cards say (said) 2010; which is when I got my first personal AmEx. The CRAs currently report the accounts opened in 2010.  

Though; I lucked out with AmEx, and recently (a couple weeks ago) got the personal cards to be backdated to 2008 (waiting on the changes to show on the CRAs).

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.