Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DISCO advice Moving Forward

tag
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

DISCO advice Moving Forward

I tried to look up CLI when to ask for the first one to be specific but I got a bunch of CLI approvals (which is great) but doesn't answer my question Smiley Very Happy      So I wanted to see if you fine people can assist me to better understand this card.     I don't plan to ask for a CLI any time soon I am more than happy with my starting limit, but when you first get approved can you ask at the 31 days mark, I have seen some post that mention waiting 1 year for first opened accounts?!      And I have read up on DD, but again I am not sure how to proceed with them.    Of course I will do my best not to go crazy with it lol, but if in 6 months I would like to ask I don't want to push to soon?!      Anything they like seeing I have noticed a lot of people putting that they constantly PIF?!      Thank you for any extra advice you people are wonderful!  <3

26 REPLIES 26
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: DISCO advice Moving Forward

I would not try prior to 6 months of account age, you are also likely to get an auto CLI if you use the card. I have paid mine before the statement even cuts for years and that never stopped me from getting a CLI when I asked for one and I also got one auto out of them doing it this way. They like usage even if you dont PIF each month, I got my first auto CLI with the account at 80% of its initial CL (2K) in the intro 0% APR period.

Message 2 of 27
Remedios
Credit Mentor

With Discover, it can happen at any point, if it happens at all.

I don't think it makes much sense to ask prior to three months (that's the earliest I've ever seen anyone reports successful CLI request). 

They like use (who doesn't lol), and since you're in cashback match period, put some use on it and see where it takes you. 

Also, since youre in 0% promo period, I don't think they would mind terribly if you carried a balance during that time (but at a manageable level)

Message 3 of 27
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 @Remedios     Ok thank you both Smiley Very Happy     I wasn't planning on anything for at least 6 months and that was IF something popped up but I wouldn't mind waiting out the year if I could I still want my second Navy and to upgrade my CR and such in the meantime to keep my itch happy Smiley Very Happy  LOLOL  plus I am still looking forward to AMEX FINALLY giving me some love......whenever that happens XD

Message 4 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

While I've been relatively conservative with my CLI attempts from other lenders, that is not the case with Discover.  I've requested CLIs from them monthly and even for a long period of time was requesting them weekly.  It was all more or less an experiment on my part as I definitely didn't need the CLIs, but I did want to push the card high just for S&Gs to see where it would end up.

Message 5 of 27
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous      Ooooo do tell do tell.....So where did you end up what all did you find out?!   Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 27
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

While I've been relatively conservative with my CLI attempts from other lenders, that is not the case with Discover.  I've requested CLIs from them monthly and even for a long period of time was requesting them weekly.  It was all more or less an experiment on my part as I definitely didn't need the CLIs, but I did want to push the card high just for S&Gs to see where it would end up.

Same here for me. I ask monthly, the day after each statement cuts. I've seen plenty of others post about doing it this way too. I highly doubt there would be any adverse effect from asking monthly. I have a nice collection of denial letters at this point, but it keeps me occupied. 😂 Good luck on getting in on some Disco luv!

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 7 of 27
sxa001
Valued Contributor

Personally I tend to be more conservative and wouldn't really ask any more than once every 6 months.  It is Disco and you have no idea what they will do, they certainly aren't happy leaving me at 9K but I probably won't ask again until sometime next year. 

Message 8 of 27
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

@Anonymous      Ooooo do tell do tell.....So where did you end up what all did you find out?!   Smiley Very Happy

@Girlzilla88, Imma guessing this could be your answer?

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Discover-CLI-to-50k/m-p/6089327

Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally got to $50k.  My limits always ended in $xx,300 or $xx,800 for years, so I was stoked more about finally rounding it off than anything else.  I was at $49,300 and spoke to a CSR who said they could raise it to $50k and that's where it's been since.

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.