Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DISCO advice Moving Forward

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DISCO advice Moving Forward

@sxa001 wrote:

Personally I tend to be more conservative and wouldn't really ask any more than once every 6 months.  It is Disco and you have no idea what they will do, they certainly aren't happy leaving me at 9K but I probably won't ask again until sometime next year. 

I guess if you fear AA or if a CLD would cause an adverse impact outside of a buzzkill I agree.  For me personally, they can CLD me down to $5k and my monthly spend (which I always PIF) would still never exceed single-digit utilization.

Message 11 of 27
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@sxa001 wrote:

Personally I tend to be more conservative and wouldn't really ask any more than once every 6 months.  It is Disco and you have no idea what they will do, they certainly aren't happy leaving me at 9K but I probably won't ask again until sometime next year. 

I suppose it depends on your risk tolerance, but a conservative approach is not a bad thing. I've been somewhat conservative on my CLI requests and I was able to get approved $80,000 on one card.  It hovered around $76,000 for a bit until the last CLI.

Message 12 of 27
JNA1
Valued Contributor

I ask and have gotten denied monthly for over a year and half. The advantages outweigh the negatives though. 
049F5FC7-A1FC-4A6C-9B46-E498B82C072C.jpeg

1.) I get a free F8 TransUnion score monthly. 

2.) If there's another TP shortage during this pandemic, I'll be ready! 😂😉

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed on #2 above, but your TU8 score is already available to you from your account.  The score you see on your denial letter will match the score visible when you log into your account at the time the denial letter is generated.

Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

I suppose it depends on your risk tolerance, but a conservative approach is not a bad thing. I've been somewhat conservative on my CLI requests and I was able to get approved $80,000 on one card.  It hovered around $76,000 for a bit until the last CLI.

But would a less conservative approach on a profile otherwise identical to you (income, CR, the whole act) have yielded a better or worse approval than that $80k?  No way of knowing for sure. 

Message 15 of 27
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

But would a less conservative approach on a profile otherwise identical to you (income, CR, the whole act) have yielded a better or worse approval than that $80k?  No way of knowing for sure. 

My approach was my own choice having 2 Discover cards, with the higher CL one being on a different tranche dating back to the mid-90's.  I didn't really care to know whether my approach would be better or worse or who would have a similar profile.  Simply stating individuals can choose their own path which may work for some and not for others given Discover's quirkiness over the years.  My approach has been fine for me 😁. 

Message 16 of 27
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Disco is not same as last years Disco nor  is it same as  the Disco from previous year. Use it, pay it, hulk smash when appropriate,  request apr redux after 1 year, and enjoySmiley Happy

Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

My point is that I don't believe a conservative approach landed you an $80k card, which may or may not be something you were suggesting anyway.  I simply believe you landed an $80k card while taking a conservative approach, if that makes sense.

Message 18 of 27
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

All I know is if DISCO loves me enought to grant me 80k in the future no matter the circumstances I'd probably never use my other cards but for simple things or maybe a date night LMAO but I honestly love my cards (even though I have a love/hate with my AMEX) lol.       

Message 19 of 27
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

All I know is if DISCO loves me enought to grant me 80k in the future no matter the circumstances I'd probably never use my other cards but for simple things or maybe a date night LMAO but I honestly love my cards (even though I have a love/hate with my AMEX) lol.       

You know you're not going to get anywhere with Amex till utilization goes down. 

Your scores are almost 80-100 points lower than when you got approved.

Once it's down, there won't be any hard feelings and hopefully you'll enter love/love business relationship with them. 

When I had a whole lot less credit, Disco never denied CLI request. My card grew from $1000.00 to more than $20,000.00 in less than 18 months.

Once I passed whatever gives their computer tickles, it stopped. 

Since you aren't too heavy in terms of limits, I'd expect to see decent growth, but no clue as to when it may happen. 

For right now, I'd just relax while chanting "10% back, 10% back, 10% back" ❤️

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.