cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DISCOVER COMBINED LIMITS... SUCCESS!!

Super Contributor

Re: DISCOVER COMBINED LIMITS... SUCCESS!!

Gotcha.  Interesting that both Discover cards, the IT and MILES both lose a lot of their luster after the first year.

 

Obviously, there's a big benefit and drawback to the way Discover offers their "bonus" which is a better program for Year 1 verses all the other years.  They get 1 year of loyalty out of a customer as opposed to possibly only 3 months for the other more common "spend X in 3 months" SUB programs, but since the "spend X in 3 months" cards don't get worse generally speaking after Year 1 is up the chances of someone using them long term is greater.  I'm not sure which is better honestly.

Message 11 of 28
Established Contributor

Re: DISCOVER COMBINED LIMITS... SUCCESS!!

Congrats @Pizza1!

New 2018 home owner! ???
Goal- All FICO 9 scores at 675 or above
9/16/17 FICO 9 TU-661 EQ-648 EX-607
12/27/17 FICO9 TU-706 EQ-672 EX-690
3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716

Simulator Test - 3/17/18 FICO8 TU-651 EQ-712 EX-778 w/ high utilization
Results - 4/11/18 FICO8 TU-653 EQ-710 EX-779 w/ 5 x 0% utilization
Message 12 of 28
Mega Contributor

Re: DISCOVER COMBINED LIMITS... SUCCESS!!


BrutalBodyShots wrote:

Gotcha.  Interesting that both Discover cards, the IT and MILES both lose a lot of their luster after the first year.

 

Obviously, there's a big benefit and drawback to the way Discover offers their "bonus" which is a better program for Year 1 verses all the other years.  They get 1 year of loyalty out of a customer as opposed to possibly only 3 months for the other more common "spend X in 3 months" SUB programs, but since the "spend X in 3 months" cards don't get worse generally speaking after Year 1 is up the chances of someone using them long term is greater.  I'm not sure which is better honestly.


I think that is the difference between the plain IT and the miles card.   While the first year bonus is good on both, the IT retains reasonable value, for those that can use the 5% and discover deals.   After the first year, the Miles card is very very meh ($30 travel credit is good I guess, if I ever remembered to use it!)

Message 13 of 28
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: DISCOVER COMBINED LIMITS... SUCCESS!!

Congrats PizzaSmiley Happy Make Discover Great Again 2017-2018 Smiley Happy



Gardening since 6/13/18
Goal: No hps or cli requests at least til 1/1/19, 7/13/20 preferable
Message 14 of 28
Moderator

Re: DISCOVER COMBINED LIMITS... SUCCESS!!

longtimelurker wrote:

BrutalBodyShots wrote:

Gotcha.  Interesting that both Discover cards, the IT and MILES both lose a lot of their luster after the first year.

 

Obviously, there's a big benefit and drawback to the way Discover offers their "bonus" which is a better program for Year 1 verses all the other years.  They get 1 year of loyalty out of a customer as opposed to possibly only 3 months for the other more common "spend X in 3 months" SUB programs, but since the "spend X in 3 months" cards don't get worse generally speaking after Year 1 is up the chances of someone using them long term is greater.  I'm not sure which is better honestly.


I think that is the difference between the plain IT and the miles card.   While the first year bonus is good on both, the IT retains reasonable value, for those that can use the 5% and discover deals.   After the first year, the Miles card is very very meh ($30 travel credit is good I guess, if I ever remembered to use it!)

 

Just PC the Miles to IT after the first year. as Miles after first year is worthless


Chase | Citibank | Amex | BofA | PenFed | NFCU | Discover | Barclay's | US Bank | Fifth Third Bank | FNBO | BB&T
Message 15 of 28
Valued Contributor

Re: DISCOVER COMBINED LIMITS... SUCCESS!!

Ms Pizza. Congrats on lowering your card count and keeping your CLs. Now That’s how it done. 🎉🍾🎈🎊🐬


(6/17/18)
Worlds second worst gardener.
Message 16 of 28
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: DISCOVER COMBINED LIMITS... SUCCESS!!


Miesterbro wrote:

Ms Pizza. Congrats on lowering your card count and keeping your CLs. Now That’s how it done. 🎉🍾🎈🎊🐬


wellllllllll, Im not so sure about lowering the count, lol..Smiley Wink sometimes when one goes away, another one reappears!! Its so strange! Smiley Wink 

 

 

Thank you so much everyone!!! Appreciate all the kind words! Smiley Happy

(BK7 d/c-08/2013/FICO-400's) ~ Current scores....Your guess is as good as mine! ???
Scores being held down by tons of INQ/New acts Smiley Wink
Message 17 of 28
Established Member

Re: DISCOVER COMBINED LIMITS... SUCCESS!!

Hi Pizza! Can you tell me which backdoor number you used? I see three listed in the backdoor number thread. I’m thinking the executive office number?

I’m wanting to close my Miles card as well and see if I can move the limit over.

Thank you!
Message 18 of 28
Super Contributor

Re: DISCOVER COMBINED LIMITS... SUCCESS!!

pizza1 ... really pretty great that you got Discover to combine cards plus add the CLI that was available. Also, to pay you for your outstanding miles! Awesome! Smiley Happy
Starting Score: 829 Fico TU08
Current Score: 835 Fico TU08
Goal Score: 850


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 28
Established Contributor

Re: DISCOVER COMBINED LIMITS... SUCCESS!!

I didn't know you can have 2 discover cards
Message 20 of 28